The all-in-one democratic game

H6
H8
O12
P6
P7
S3
S9

Unless more suggestion (or less) i will post the poll in half day.

The center looks empty, why not play somewhere between Q10 K10, like M10 N10 ?

1 Like

bottom right group is in trouble, black will just ignore your move and will kill white group

1 Like

It’s an interesting idea, if LR white group is hard to kill, perhaps push down the center is a reasonable thought (haven’t fully evaluate the LR corner, but I feel white at least can escape toward the center, sacrificing a tail isn’t that big of a deal, as long as white can take a foothold in the LR)

If I really have to choose somewhere to play in the center, I would probably play J10 to invalid my own nose tesuji for black to push up the center (and also assist the H8 cut later).

1 Like

just because something is hard to kill, doesn’t mean its easy to defend

1 Like

How?

1 Like

White may not die outright after tenuki in lower right, but it would at least become very weak. There is a proverb “A weak group is worth minus 30 points”, somewhat similar as giving the opponent a ponnuki in the center.

1 Like

when something is fragile and there are more possible ways to attack than possible to predict, you never can be sure that it will not die

1 Like

I think white can tenuki IF it offers a trade that gains white about 30 points to compensate for a potentially similarly sized sacrifice in the lower right.

1 Like

Well I can find a variation that actually sacrifice the whole LR corner and still gain enough in the center to compensate it.

By my earlier estimation, white only need to live with about the size of 20 zi area, so if the center can be expanded beyond the 10th line with more than that, it should be a fair trade.

2 Likes

if you fail at expanding far enough, you will both lose group and reduce your territory.
More easy to just defending what you already have.

1 Like

I think @ninjakitty proposal is a good exercise to let everyone think a little deeper about how weak the LR white group really is (and exactly how black can kill it). Letting players of all strength to share some variations and their views of the current position.

Personally, I had a nagging feeling that black had taken the initiative and control the flow of the game ever since the probing move at G13, and white had been in constant defense. White needs to take back control as soon as possible.

2 Likes

This is one of the variation that black tries really hard to kill the LR white group, is it alive or dead? If white cannot live absolutely, can white use the aji to cut or attack black? (black has some cut points like N7 can be exploited, O5 P5 gap wide enough to be pushed if white gets to play P6, etc.)

3 Likes

White to play, please vote!

• H6
  • H8
  • J10
  • M10
  • N10
  • O12
  • P6
  • P7
  • S3
  • S9

0 voters

I can’t read very far and picked P7 mostly for the nice 4-stone zig-zag shape - does it have a name?

1 Like

Maybe we can call it the N-shape?

2 Likes

Kissing tigers, maybe?
Well, it’s two tiger mouths, but they aren’t really kissing.

4 Likes

White P7 wins the poll .

Time to suggest black move.

4 Likes

The first 3 moves that come to mind are

O8
S8
S4

1 Like

O8 feels natural, it limits white’s potential to escape and strengthens black’s influence in the center. If black doesn’t play there, white might play it next instead.

4 Likes