The Conquest of Go - A Videogame featuring Go Gameplay

Haha sure thing!

Version 0.10.0 is live which includes several improvements to the review system, including the ability to create and perform analysis on custom variations, preloading of score and winrate graphs based on AI review, and branching paths added to the move tree view.

10 Likes

A bit off-topic, but @wolfeystudios do you use/have any open sourced library to parse SGF files from/to game state? (You use Unity iirc?)

I’m trying to make a SGF reader for personal collection, and thinking if there’s available lib it’'d be much faster than trying to make one myself :sweat_smile:

@Chinitsu, here is a list of open-source projects related to Go, which includes several SGF parsers (for various languages). Also, various SGF utilities, like SGF editors, will likely have their own SGF parsing implementation.

5 Likes

It looks like @yebellz has you covered. There’s quite a few on there that could probably work for you. I ended up writing my own implementation due to some constraints with Unity and a few custom things required for my game.

4 Likes

Since my last post, there have been two new versions of The Conquest of Go.

Version 0.12.0 adds new settlements to the campaign map and introduces the fortification mechanic, where regions surrounded by neighbors of the same nation are safe from invasion. The fortification mechanic will be expanded upon in future updates. Additionally, other nations will now automatically conquer regions on the campaign map as matches are played.

New look at the campaign map:

Full Log:

Version 0.11.0 added a new practice board to more freely place and remove stones from the board. Additionally, the option for reverse komi (points given to black at the start of the match) was added, which is available for both quick play and campaign matches. The campaign has an option to convert any handicap advantage to reverse komi for a different experience.

Full Log:

5 Likes

Version 0.13.0 is now out which adds the option to switch to Chinese rules for quick play and campaign matches, as well as more than doubles the amount of unique campaign invasions (matches that start from predetermined board positions).

Full Change Log:

6 Likes

I had seen this game on Steam and thought it looked like a great idea to help introduce beginners. When I learned about the OGS support, I went ahead and actually purchased it so I could check it out, and then bought copies for a couple of friends. Seems like a helpful thing for that friend you’re trying to cajole into taking up the game, and having the onramp to OGS right there is a wonderful benefit.

Keep at it! Really nice work so far.

4 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Version 0.14.0 is live which adds Opening Guides to the game to give players a look at viable moves taking place at the start of the game. The guides are for board sizes 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19, with and without a variety of handicap stones. Since each move branches it’s own set of moves that follow, this leads to up to ~4000-5000 possible moves for each guide that can be explored. This is the initial version of the Opening Guides, which will be updated as new versions of the game are released.

There are two modes for the Opening Guides. Explore mode shows the next set of moves on the board, allowing the player to hover over them for information or click them to move to the next move. Play mode hides the moves on the board and allows the player to find the moves themselves.

The game is also currently available for a 20% discount during the Steam summer sale, which ends on July 8th.

Here it is in action:

Full Change Log:

1 Like

The usual annoying question. Linux support is probably not practical, but any plan for GOG?

1 Like

The game is playable for Linux users through Steam Proton. Depending on your distro and configuration, you may or may not need to enable specific settings within Steam Proton. The ProtonDB page for the game has information on those settings.

Right now the game is only available on Steam, but once the full version is released after exiting Steam Early Access, I may explore other platforms such as GOG and/or Epic.

6 Likes

Version 0.15.0 is now out which adds a new mechanic to the campaign mode which are fortification puzzles. These allow the player to fortify and protect their regions from invasion by solving tsumego. Additionally, there is now a full campaign tutorial covering the different aspects of the campaign such as playing matches, abilities, resources, market exchange, reviews, fortifications, invasions, and more.

Here’s a short clip showing the new puzzle feature:

The full log of updates can be found here:

5 Likes

Steam currently have a 20% discount for The Conquest of Go until 2021-10-25T17:00:00Z

4 Likes

Thanks @BHydden :slight_smile: This discount is for Steam’s Digital Tabletop Fest event.

Version 0.16.0 will be released within the next week or two as well, which will add localization for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, as well as some new features such as AI reviews for all match types (campaign, local, online) and some new UI elements and sound effects. I will post again once that’s available.

2 Likes

Version 0.16.0 was released this week. The highlights are listed below, but there was quite a few updates with this version, so feel free to check out the full change log in the link below.

• Localization for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
  • Expanded the campaign review functionality to locally saved matches and online matches
  • Better support for saved match management and .SGF import
  • Further integration of campaign nation colors in the campaign mode
5 Likes

For those that are interested, The Conquest of Go is on sale for 20% off for the Steam Autumn sale (11/24-12/1). Next month I’ll be releasing the next update which will include localization for French, German, and Russian, as well as some new features.

8 Likes

Just got the game, and you guys did great.

One small suggestion, in the marketplace, it’s hard to remember what combination they are used, have to exit and start a match just to check. (or are there any other ways to check I missed?)

Maybe a quick help when mouse over each resource in the marketplace trade menu?

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I will likely add a tooltip in that menu which will summarize the cost of each ability which can be referenced.

2 Likes

Version 0.17.0 was released this week which adds Steam Workshop integration, allowing players to share tutorials, tsumego, joseki, match commentary, etc. to be used in game. Localization support for French, German, and Russian was also added. The full change log can be found below.

The Steam Winter sale has also started, and the game will be available for 20% off from December 22nd through January 5th.

You can see it in action here:

Also, @NinjaKitty a new tooltip was added to the campaign market which outlines how each resource is used for the campaign abilities.

2 Likes