The Conquest of Go - A Videogame featuring Go Gameplay

Dang, I SO wish you’d make this for macOS also.

Also, can you please share it in that FB group also? I’m sure many people will appreciate. Have you shared in r/baduk also?

5 Likes

I have had quite a few people reach out to me regarding Mac, so I do plan to look further into it, just after the PC release.

I have posted it to r/baduk, but I haven’t posted anything about this project on Facebook before. My posts each week are on Twitter, Instagram, r/baduk, and here. It looks like that FB group is pretty active, so that’s probably a good idea to start posting there. I’m not super familiar with Facebook, so I’ll do some research before creating an account and posting. Thanks for the recommendation.

7 Likes

Built a new UI to display profiles for players on OGS. Player names are now clickable to load a player’s profile. This will display the active matches the player is playing, the completed matches, and a graph of the player’s rank over time. The match names are able to be clicked in order to load the active or completed match.

4 Likes

Just wondering what the campaign mode is like?

Is there a kind of story or is it playing the ai at various strengths to capture territories on a map? Kind of risk like - except playing a go game for each territory?

Cheers.

4 Likes

It’s the latter of the two you described. It combines the three common study concepts for improvement, which are to play games, review games, and do tsumego. You capture opposing land and resources by playing Go matches, and you earn supplies and resources through AI assisted reviews and doing tsumego. It’s just a way to make a single player experience more fun than just playing against an AI. There isn’t a story to it, so it is pretty similar to risk as you’ve described.

7 Likes

I’ve started populating the aftermath of Go matches in the campaign mode with town and city assets. Right now they are just for show when viewing match history, but I intend to make them interactive and have this be a way to trigger getting resources and completing quests (reviews, tsumego, etc.). Just wanted to note that these won’t show up during a Go match, only afterwards in the campaign.

Still a WIP as I need to refine the city border to be dynamic and further refine the algorithm to populate the city to be a bit more natural.

9 Likes

Building off of last week’s post displaying the dynamic city population based on Go match results, I’ve added new animations to the city objects, made the outside trees scale to the correct size based on board size, added orange buildings for the opposition, and added new resource buttons to allow players to collect resources after matches. The plan is for the resources to be able to used to supply the player’s army for future matches, such as deploying handicap stones or using AI assistance. There will be additional resources than the two that are displayed in the video as well.

5 Likes

This week I added a bit of customization that allows you to choose the colors for each nation within the campaign mode. These colors are represented on the map view as well as the post-match view showing the town buildings. The map view shows the latest match outcome with the player and opponent colors representing the percentage of territory each had at the end of the match. It also shows the outcome as text in relation to the player when hovering over each area. Lastly, I also added a bit to the interaction with resources.

7 Likes

Just added to Steam wishlist, and followed :slight_smile: Very looking forward to being able to play this :slight_smile: if you need testers, whether that’s for a beta or an alpha version, I’m definitely interested. :slight_smile:
I missed that you had been updating things, I signed up for your newsletter from your page, but I didn’t get any updates yet, so I was pretty happily surprised when one of my FB friends posted about the game being on Steam now :slight_smile:
I didn’t notice this thread before, but I’m now subscribed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for wishlisting and following! The game is still a ways off, but when wider testing is available I’ll be sure to announce that.

The lack of newsletter updates is my fault. Sorry about that. When I had originally created it, I didn’t realize there were some extra requirements to be in order before being able to legally email a newsletter. It’s been something I’ve been putting off, but I plan to resolve these shortly and finally get that into a regular schedule. Weekly I post here as well as Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit. I plan to get on Facebook soon too.

7 Likes

I gotta ask: is this still a 2020 release? It’s on my Steam wishlist anyway, but I gotta ask. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, still planning to release in 2020, likely the end of September. I guess that’s not too far off in the grand scheme of things, but I didn’t want to give the impression that it was ready for open testing :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This week more work was done on campaign resources, which are now tracked and able to be put to use. During your Go matches, you can spend resources to activate abilities which will have varying costs. The two abilities thus far are to be able to undo moves and show potential territory. Other abilities will be added in the future, which will mostly use the AI to assist. I’d also like to give more of a visual flair in the future when activating abilities.

7 Likes

This week I made the map a bit more dynamic by having each piece of land have an environment type that will load in environment-specific art assets for both the matches and post-match territory population. These environments will also have a different odds for resources to be collected post-match, so for instance, the forest environment will be more wood resource heavy than the desert environment. I am in the process of creating more environment-specific art assets and will also be improving the map view with new art assets that will give a better indication of what environment each piece of land is.

7 Likes

Building upon last week’s post with the different environment types within the campaign mode, the map has now been updated so that each region has artwork to represent the environment type (desert, forest, farmland, mountains). The environment type ultimately determines which theme the Go match will be played on, and which resources will be available to be collected post-match from populated territories.

9 Likes

This week I added new desert-specific artwork to the game for the towns that are populated after Go matches in desert environments. The existing assets from the forests and farmlands wouldn’t make much sense in a desert. Now each environment can have their own combination of assets that will be used to populate the towns.

8 Likes

The Conquest of Go now has a gold resource in addition to wood, stone, and food which can be collected after matches. Along with the new resource, I added two new abilities that can be used during campaign mode matches. These abilities allow the player to get assistance from the AI on finding optimal moves and seeing the opponent’s optimal responses. Keeping with the theme of the campaign, the moves are found by scouts on the battlefield, and the opponent responses are found by spies that have infiltrated the opponent’s territory. These abilities costs resources to use, so they will need to be used sparingly and weighed against using alternative abilities. I plan to have options with the campaign mode to control how expensive the abilities will be as part of the difficulty balance.

10 Likes

HI I will probably like your game when it will come out and I liked you the second most now

2 Likes

Thanks for the support!

1 Like

When is Early Access coming I can wait no longerrrrr

7 Likes