The Conquest of Go - A Videogame featuring Go Gameplay

How much money do you think you will make?You can message or pm me if you need ideas for future updates but I can’t do it now because I haven’t played it yet

1 Like

It won’t be going into Early Access on Steam, but instead a full release near the end of September this year. Sorry to keep you waiting!

To be honest, Go is a pretty niche market, and while I do hope to get some new players into the Go world, I would file this under more of a passion project than a get-rich-quick-scheme. Thanks for the offer to help!

11 Likes

Yes yes :heart: can’t wait to play the tutorial games with those 2x kyu characters who upon defeat will praise me like the next coming of Go Seigen.

You have that **** in game right?

10 Likes

Hahaha. Duly noted this feature!

6 Likes

Is the OGS forum family friendly? Also why won’t u want to earn money

Money is one of the most important thing in the world (of course not number 1)

Funny that you should ask that, and why?
The OGS Terms of Service (TOS) apply to the whole site.

Agreed … and may I then kindly suggest that you revisit the OGS supporter page? <plink plink> :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, sadly this still is the case currently. I find it very odd that, in the 21st century, we still adhere to this concept of symbolic—and fake—“reimbursement” that does not at all reflect the worth of life time spent, and that makes it so hard for too many people to get access to things that, IMNVHO, should be free to every sentient being (housing, food, water, clean air, education, health services, public transport, cultural needs, means of communication, etc.).

12 Likes

I’m not saying that I do not wish to earn money, I’m just trying to be realistic about earnings given the niche market and the many existing free platforms available to play Go.

13 Likes

@wolfeystudios, I’m just one person, but I want you to know that I’d immediately pay 30 € if I could have that on my Mac, maybe even more, depending on the circumstances (features etc.).

:slight_smile:

<cough> WineBottler </cough>

2 Likes

Just saying that I’m paying a certain website 50$/year just to have the color of my username changed.

Niche market mean less users but also mean the user base will be a lot more supportive :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks, both of you, for the words of encouragement!

2 Likes

Are you planning to add non-square maps (e.g. a map with a lake in the middle)?

Multicolour Go will probably be difficult because there are no strong engines out there, right?

4 Likes

@wolfeystudios Sounds a lot so I don’t expect it soon but later on
How about a book pass which you get extra perks like limited animations rainbow name costom boards and a golden book which has some extra skills and resets every week and every pass season might be a month or so long and different animations are added probably about 10 US dollars or 5 per month
How about gold coins and up you use it to upgrade your animations and boards they can buy it with moneyh i don’t know who except be will) or completing a achievement in game also bonus achievements for book pass.
Achievements: there will be like eat 6 stones or make 10 groups with two eyes or maybe completing questions/puzzles more to be filled the bonus food :hamburger:

1 Like

In other words: microtransactions.

Please don’t add microtransactions… Especially not if they influence gameplay. They are what makes most modern games so absolutely terrible. Notwithstanding the effect microtransactions have on children (or their parents’ credit card) and gambling addicts.

/me longingly thinks back to the time when games were paid for once and you would get the complete package for the rest of eternity

17 Likes

I cannot express how much I agree with this.

12 Likes

Rectangular maps would be possible, but I’m not aware of any way to make the AI understand a gap in the center of the map as you suggested for a lake in the middle. Right now they’re just square as that’s what most people play, but I’ll give it some thought for the rectangular format as an option. I’m not aware of any AI that support multi-color Go, though I haven’t searched too hard.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll comment a bit more below addressing the micro-transaction concerns.

I think it’s important to differentiate between different types of micro-transactions. There will never be anything in this game such as a typical mobile game micro-transaction where you’re locked out of progressing the campaign for X hours unless you buy Y currency from the store and spend it. There also wouldn’t be anything that would give one player better odds or an advantage over a player that only has the base game. I feel that these are the most hated and predatory types of micro-transactions that exist today.

Something like an optional DLC (downloadable content) I would consider different. Prior to the ability to update games through download, people would still get updates for certain games through an expansion pack or buying the next version of a game. These days, being able to do it through download makes it much more common and makes it so that developers can be more agile. Usually the developers balance out free updates and paid DLC. A specific DLC would be a one time purchase.

What are your thoughts on completely optional content that could be available for those that desire something extra, or wanted to further their support. This could be something like an additional campaign map, a story mode, an additional teaching pack with content consulted by X pro. These would have no effect or change on the players game experience unless they wanted to check out these additional pieces that were released at a later date from when the game came out. These are all hypothetical, but would these be considered bad in your opinion? That would allow for new content, keeping the base price point lower, and an earlier release date. If the price point is too high, non-Go enthusiasts are unlikely to give it a shot, would be my guess. This essentially would allow people to choose which extra content they would want to pay for. Again, this is hypothetical, and I’m just wondering what your opinions are.

16 Likes

Nothing wrong with DLC at all, on the contrary (if it’s reasonably priced at least; looking at you, Paradox Interactive). As long as the base game is complete without it, it sounds like the perfect idea for extra content (and revenue).

My problem with microtransactions, is mostly that it triggers a hoarding impulse in people, especially in those vulnerable to it (gamblers, children). Enticing people to spend hundreds of dollars on a few new virtual clothes in a mobile app or to be able to drive in a marginally faster virtual car, etc, in my opinion that should be considered a form of swindle.

To judge how much DLC or extra content is worth, I like to think of it as “how much time am I going to spend on this enjoying myself”. Given that I easily pay $10 per hour for other forms of entertainment (concerts, movies, restaurants), a $30 game could be considered worth buying if it keeps me busy for a full afternoon. But $30 dollar of loot boxes giving me three sets of things I already owned and one set that gives me 5 seconds of enjoyment because “oh look, it’s a new thing I didn’t have yet” after which you immediately start craving for more, that’s never worth it.

By this logic, Age of Empires should be worth thousands of dollars, though…

15 Likes

Okay, good. We’re on the same page. I’m also anti-loot box.

In terms of the dollar per hour ratio of content, gamers have come to expect quite a bit these days. You’re definitely in the minority for being okay with $30 for an afternoon. While I agree people spend much more for other things like going to the movies, but most gamers don’t think that way.

13 Likes

I think your heart is in the right place about microtransactions.

6 Likes

It’s important to have different things in the game, I think. Not everyone would like to play against a bot over and over.

So maybe lake would be impossible but different starting positions would be at least something, like different levels in puzzle games.

I’d really like at least some story elements.

9 Likes