The Conquest of Go - A Videogame featuring Go Gameplay

Maybe some bots which are stronger for book pass players only you should make some famaly passes that you can use on multiple accounts (which I would probably need cuz I will probably have more then one account like most of the websites and apps)Also you can make a place to play with other actual humans and also a chat built in.
You can also add the idea to add ranks for example you are the developer and I could have YouTube rank or maybe something else and there are moderator ranks maybe.By the way I could have YouTube rank because I do record myself playing games and can record playing that.Also you should give update sneak peeks to some people probably Youtubers and moderators(if there is any)of course people working on the game will already know so you don’t need to tell them.
The update coming soon might be told a little bit earlier to get people excited and want to come on as that works for me when some games I don’t play drops a update I will play it for a bit.Family friendly is very important and hiding bad words into characters like this **** .

Updates should come with enough content so if you can’t come up with enough content you can do a mystery thing and has a countdown timer on it and will be released when the timer reaches the end .

More suggestions ideas coming soon .

Yeah I think I think I’d like that as well. I was recently reading a bit of “Invincible the games of Shusaku” which has quite a lot of history.

A minimal amount of story effort might be nice, an example of which could be:

• you’re born in a particular region of the map (maybe randomised if you want some replayability/restarting the campaign).
  • you’re a go prodigy from a young age, and have to travel the land (the map) learning from great players (ai) and challenging strong opponents to achieve your true potential.
  • give the player a name or allow the user to choose a name. Maybe even name some of the opponents in some of the regions - if strong opponents have a name it makes them a bit more memorable I imagine.
  • Give the player a rating/ranking like x dan or so, just to give an extra level of progress on top of claiming areas of the map.

I think this could be interesting, Win a game with a given set fuseki could be a fun set of puzzles. You might also learn some historical fusekis that way too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is exactly the kind of exclusivity that I was asking not to do. Don’t make a game more enjoyable for people that pay more. Why are you so focused on making the game more expensive?

Updates shouldn’t be made because there should be updates… That’s again a microtransaction thing, adding content is constantly necessary, since people need to be lured to buy more (it’s where the revenue is).

Although I like this, it will imply that the game needs moderation to prevent trolling. Especially if chat is added. I’m not sure if that’s feasible for a small indie developer.

9 Likes

Then what is the point of having the pass?If you don’t pay you can still play but it is just that it doesn’t have exclusive items that buying the pass has but you can still play against bots except they are weaker like a pro supporter on OGS will have a better bot for review then dan and kyu supporters.Also free to play players can still get the boards except it takes longer to earn.also you can have a mod rank if @wolfeystudios
Let’s you.

Updates : I know I already talked about this earlier but I think I should say some more details about updates of course when he finally gathers enough content he will announce the update coming soon not when we want a update.Also there might be a update every two months if he wants more content per update or one month but for less content per the update.

Coming soon in suggestions:
Some exclusive items for pass and free to pay or pay to win discussion

Not sure if I will go bankrupt cuz I am pretty poor

Who says it would be a free to play game / season pass game to begin with? I had the idea it would be like a normal Steam game, where you pay once and then own the game.

Of course I could be wrong about that, I’m not the developer after all, so this discussion is pretty pointless.

8 Likes

But the pay to download then own it games usually won’t get a lot of downloads unless it is games like Minecraft also these are just suggestions and like brawl stars or clash royal or line rangers there are both free to play and pay to win players plus it is not a must to buy the season pass it is just some extra or exclusive in game items that you get so you can just play and basically don’t spend money(which I won’t)
By the way you can play without those exclusive items.also you need the credit card password for it .You can also add a refund purchases button so you might have a negative count on something .

This is simply untrue, especially when looking at PC and console games.

The free to play ones you mention are not free to play, they are freemium, which is “free to play” for a rudimentary base game, and costs money for extra content, sometimes necessary to make the game feel complete. Exactly the kind of microtransaction I was talking about.

If you ever play a game that asks you for your credit card, you should definitely throw it away immediately. Payment is done through the store (Steam, Epic, Google Play, Apple Store), not through the game.

9 Likes

Even assuming you are correct here, the argument is not whether or not the Canadian Devil is good for making money, but whether or not it’s predatory, immoral, and a blight on gaming.

5 Likes

I can’t wait for early access to show my channel viewers it is coming out on September so maybe early access or beta launch on June 20th and by that time it is just basically what you need in the game and what you need .

Exclusive items part one season 1:Emotes/pins/small pictures.You might have some limited pins like juggling go chess pin as one of the pass rewards.Another pin might be a go chess piece laughing and crying.

@李建澔2 I think you should wait and see the game first before writing a list of posts with your ideas. Maybe come back in September after having purchased the game and continue the list?

13 Likes

But these game hasn’t released yet so you need enough content for release so these is just enough for beta launch in my opinion and when is beta launch?
Also @wolfeystudios premium features are basically what I will spend money on also it includes stronger bots and exclusive puzzle questions which will help you learn more overtime also completing achievements will be easier so if there is something they don’t really like as a achievement they can complete it quicker or maybe even a mystery button I am thinking/working on

Thanks all for your various feedback, suggestions, and discussion over the past day! I will try to address majority of the points below.

Let’s start with clearing up a few misconceptions about what The Conquest of Go is and will be.

1. The Conquest of Go will not be free, and will be sold at a price yet to be disclosed. Due to this, it will not be following the “freemium” model.
  2. Locking players out of certain tiers of features leading to a less enjoyable experience unless the extra tiers are purchased, is not something that is planned. What I mean by this is that for instance during the same content such as the campaign mode, there won’t be a base level AI, and an AI of greater strength locked behind a paywall. It’s possible new and separate optional content could be provided for the game via DLC. These separate and optional pieces of content would not affect the player’s enjoyment through the base-content of the game, and would not provide any game play advantage over other players.
  3. The Conquest of Go will have online play with other actual humans, along with chat. This is done using the OGS API and the game essentially is a different front-end for playing online games on OGS. This is separate from the campaign mode, though still part of the base game, and certain assistance features (abilities, atari graphics, etc.) will be disabled during online play to keep matches fair between players within the game and players using the OGS web client.
  4. There is no set date currently for a beta version release. The beta will also be a smaller closed beta.

With that being said, I think the big difference between the suggestions coming in are due to the cultural differences between the gaming market within China (location within 李建澔2’s profile) compared to for instance North America or Europe. The freemium model is widely popular in China. While this trend is still popular and is growing in other areas of the world, it’s not as dominating as it is in China. One example that comes to mind is the game Rocket League, which is sold everywhere in the world at a certain price, except China, where they have a specific version designed for them that is free to play, with freemium type purchases built into the game.

Along with this cultural difference, additional constraints need to be considered for a Chinese release, such as networking issues due to the Great Firewall. All of this being said I still need to figure out how to best handle a Chinese release.

Notes on a few of the feature suggestions:

• Starting matches with a certain starting positions, fuseki, or partial match played out
    • I had been considering something similar as well. My thought is that during the campaign, areas that you have control over could periodically be attacked by opposing nations, and when those matches start they could have certain moves already played, simulating you arriving to a battle in progress. Incorporating tsumego into the campaign as skirmishes is also planned to add more variety.
  • Story Mode
    • A story mode is something that interests me and have thought about as well, though I’d want to make it a full experience and not something that was just thrown together. Right now, I’m inclined to keep this as an idea for a future DLC and not be something that is duct taped together for the initial release.
14 Likes

This week new options were added during campaign creation. Players will be able to adjust the distribution of the main board sizes (9x9, 13x13, 19x19) to their preference. Additionally, the difficulty can be adjusted in several ways, such as handicap, AI strength, and the particular opponent AI. I plan to add additional options in the future as well. Likely there will be a basic options page which will be more straight forward in setup, and an advanced options page to fine tune things for those that need to.

12 Likes

Wow pretty big improvement with board lands(or maybe that isn’t the name I will just call it like that)pretty sure this will be in the level brawl stars is in quality of the game but probably with less players because go isn’t as interesting to other people’s opinion .keep up with this work .this in game currency for special abilities is also pretty reasonable or else everyone will just keep winning.

1 Like

I am using global and popular games for example not chinese games .Supercell games aren’t playable in China yet almost released there and they all have season passes.I don’t even play chinese games(I am sorry if u are a boss or creator of a chinese game company)I understand what u mean by that. but let’s use Minecraft for another example it isn’t free to download and after download u need to pay even more for extra items which could also be a thing for the game.Also for example for a paid go game I know on that costs about 100 US dollars and has many puzzles and another one called zenith go7 costing about 60 USD and u play with very strong bots.For the conquest of go I suggest a cheaper buying price but there are in game offers costing money maybe 20 USD only but you won’t access many things.Also I do not live in China but it sure is close to China. @wolfeystudios

1 Like

Thanks! It’d be pretty difficult for a one man operation to compete with the quality of a game made by a company with several hundred employees, but I appreciate the comment!

For the resources when creating a campaign you can control how many resources you start with and what level of resources will be available in territories after matches. That’ll let the player narrow down how much they want help from the AI during their campaign. These can be set as desired, but I’ll likely make some preset difficulties (very easy, easy, medium, hard, etc.) that will adjust the resources as well as the AI and handicap accordingly.

I agree that there are very successful global games that follow the freemium model. This is especially popular in mobile games such as the ones Supercell creates. With this game being for PC, things are a bit different, and the comparison is more close to your Minecraft example, but I get what you mean.

Thanks for the info on those other Go games. With prices that high some Go enthusiasts might give it a shot, but I doubt it would bring many new players into the Go world due to the high cost barrier for entry. The Conquest of Go will be sold at a lower price point, which will hopefully get some new players into the Go world in addition to existing Go players.

9 Likes

I found a company that has like three go apps one is free on costs like 3usd and the last one costs like 100 or 80 usd.And the more you pay the better the bots.I only have the free one.Brawl stars’ company(supercell)has many games so I don’t think think there’s hundreds of employees working on one game.

1 Like

I added a new feature this week along the lines of the starting positions suggestion from last week. As the player conquers lands within the campaign mode of The Conquest of Go , periodically these lands will be invaded by opposing nations. While defending against an invasion, the player will arrive to a battle in progress, where a variety of set moves will already be played out that the player will need to finish. These initial automatically played moves could be a standard fuseki, a position from a pro match, a life or death position, an end game position, or anything really. Depending on the land that is invaded, the board may be 9x9, 13x13, or 19x19. Are there any positions that comes to mind that you would find interesting to be one of these invasion setups?

10 Likes

I have some in mind. Although these might not align with your view of what the game should be.

Summary

Pitched battle

Siege

Two castles

Cross-cut madness

Four armies

Galaxy/shuriken/uzumaki

You get the idea

14 Likes