The Dining Hall - NSFH(ungry people)

Conrad_Melville doesn’t need photos. Can you perhaps provide music that does justice to the experience.

8 Likes

You’re very kind.

Maybe “Ode to Joy” (the obvious choice), or a triumphal moment in Prokofiev’s 5th Symphony.

5 Likes

Yeah, it goes great together! One of my favourites to make is a spicy tomato & lentil curry. You might have to add a sprinkle of sugar if it gets too tart, though

5 Likes

Peasoup with smoked ham and chopped onions. Banana-oat pancakes with cherry jam as desser on the background.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Forgot to post last night, made a pizza for dinner:

12 Likes

So, what is it? Pancake with apples?

1 Like

I baked some ciabatta bread (first time), it was ok but I didn’t really enjoy it (I mean the baking).
I’m a food person after all.

1 Like

Basically. To make the pancake I put an egg, some flour, sugar, and milk(my rough estimates) in a bowl, mixed it, and put the batter in a pan that I had melted butter in. The apples were better than the pancake.

1 Like

You probably forgot a pinch of salt in the pancake mix, and I would not put sugar in the batter, instead put it top of the pancake after flipping it (or use syrup, it’s nicer anyways)

If you want American ones, you’ll have to add some baking powder, you do add the sugar to the batter and if possible some melted butter. (Still, don’t forget the pinch of salt)

Final pancake tip: the amount of milk can be adjusted to make the batter more liquid or more viscuous, which will give you thinner or thicker pancakes. American ones are quite thick, with the batter being quite gloopy, and have baking powder which makes the pancake rise a little. French ones are very liquid and can be very thin. Dutch pancakes have batter that has the consistency of heavy cream and is moderately thin (they’re the best in my humble Dutch opinion). Don’t put more batter in the pan than can be used to spread itself over the surface, or your pancakes will be dough-like and not fully cooked in the centre.

5 Likes

Never tried Dutch pancakes and if you think they are the best, I might need to try them. That can be my lunch some other time because I don’t get up early enough to make breakfast most days. Would just googling a recipe work to find one? Hopefully it does because that is what I am going to go by.

1 Like

Cooking without gluten is challenging. Here’s my take on kung pao chicken, with rice noodles:

And here’s a rice-flour-dough cast iron skillet pizza:

I’ll have to ship the next one to @Eugene and borrow his pizza oven.

11 Likes

How’s this @Vsotvep?
I tried to follow a recipe(although I may have messed up twice while doing it). I think it turned out good anyway though(partly because I have never made one before). Well here is my dutch pancake:

8 Likes

That looks nowhere near a Dutch pancake, unfortunately… I hope it tasted nice, though

I’ll show you how I make them later tonight, when I’m hungry again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last week, we had pita bread with chicken shoarma, and fries. The beer is a ‘dubbel’, a style of dark beer (this one being quite chocolate-like).

Then I didn’t charge my phone for a week, thus I have no pictures for those meals.

Today we had lasagne with napoletana sauce, mushrooms and spinach.

8 Likes

I’m probably showing my Americanness, but that looks like the kind of pancake we call either a “German Pancake” or “Dutch Baby” interchangeably. Are those different from Dutch Pancakes?

3 Likes

I thought they were the same thing. My judgement was obviously incorrect and I shouldn’t assume.

The recipe I used was the first result for a google search of “recipe for dutch pancakes”.

2 Likes

OMG!!

Probably the best spicy curry lentil soup i have ever made!

12 Likes

I’ll have to try that. I love curry and I love lentil soup, but I never thought to combine the two.

1 Like

I’ve made some good stuff lately, today I made rice with calamari in tomato sauce, but it still feels weird to take photos of my food. I’m enjoyably lurking tho. :slight_smile:

4 Likes