The Dining Hall - NSFH(ungry people)

Things that I regret regarding cooking during lockdown:

• I never got around to buying that Kitchen Aid I was sweetly coveting.
  • I never got around to replacing my hand mixer that died at Xmas.
  • I thought it would be easy to replace my food processor that died at the beginning of lockdown.
    It really affects the things I feel like making.
    I’m making a kind of ratatouille in the oven tonight, I’ll post pictures, promise.
5 Likes

Before

And after

People usually tell me I should mix, I prefer layering.

Also, I made this

Literal name is “dough-pie”, I don’t think it’s common in other places in Greece. It’s basically batter in the oven, something like bread, and of course I changed up a lot. :woman_shrugging:

P. S. Yes, I know most looks unappealing, it’s the phone camera, sorry.

11 Likes

Cheese filled&covered sausages with onions, tomatoes, and some cabbage salad. The yellow thing on top is mustard ^____^

8 Likes

It’s like a Danish-style hot dog without the bread

Would you mind giving your spicy curry lentil soup recipe? It looks and sounds awesome!

1 Like

Here’s a typical Dutch dinner with a spicy flavour:

Mashed potatoes with turnip greens & spinach (it keeps growing in the garden, we have to get rid of it somehow) and Steak Tartare, but then flash-grilled.

This type of dish is called “Stamppot” (stomping pot), which is a collective name for dishes that feature cooked potato, milk and some vegetable. It’s often accompanied by a boiled smoked sausage (“rookworst”) and butter gravy.

We also put some feta cheese and cherry tomatoes in the mash, as well as a Korean soy sauce / chili pepper sauce. Belgian beer on the side.

9 Likes

Of course, i actually even took few pictures while cooking!

Koba's spicy curry lentil soup (contains pictures)

ingredients:

Red lentils
Carrots
Cauliflower
Onions
Garlic
Chili
Vegetable stock
Currypowder
Cinnamon
Cayanne pepper
Black pepper
(Salt)
Little bit oil for sweating

For top:
Cilantro
“Turkish” (non-flavored) yogurt

Step 1
Rinse the lentils properly. You can let the lentils soak for a moment, tho its not absolutely necessary. You can also make veggie stock now (i just made one from cubes since i’m lazy >___> )

Step 2

Chop chili, garlic and onions. I recommend lots of chili and using the seeds too, especially if they arent super-hot. Put all of them in a large pot with ~spoonful of oil.

Step 3

Sweat chili, garlic and onions on high temp. You can also add curry and cinnamon (and other spices) powders now, or mix them with veggie stock.

Step 4

Add rinsed lentils and veggie stock, make sure to cover everything with water. Bring to boiling and let it boil under the lid with low temp.

Step 5

Cut few carrots and cauliflower into small pieces (you dont want any big chunks to chew) and add into the pot. Carrots reduce the overall saltiness, so you prolly want to add salt if you’re just using pre-made veggie tock cubes.

Let it boil. It is technically ready in when carrots are cooked, but it gets just better and better the longer you let it boil. Actually, it is at its best on the next day after being in the fridge overnight ^___^

Enjoy with some fresh cilantro and non-sweetened yogurt ^^

Note:
Remember to always rinse the lentils before cooking them. Stir well few times from all the way to the bottom, lentils tend to pack and make a thick mass when boiling which can burn if the temp is too high. I added some other spices too, but i cant remember anymore what they were exactly, sadly i just took couple of pics without properly writing anything down >____>

7 Likes

I’ll be sure to make it next week, after our weekly grocery haul :slight_smile:

Today’s dinner: Katsutoji-don (breaded deep-fried pork with soy-sauce omelette on top of rice). On the side cucumber salad (with rice vinegar and sesame) and a bottle of Japanese sake that I ordered through our local Asian goods store.

9 Likes

Pestopasta ^____^

6 Likes

Chocolate cake and mushroom pies.

EDIT
And some last minute “cookies” with almonds and cheese.

8 Likes

I made @_KoBa’s curry lentil soup, and it was indeed delicious! We also made some toast with garlic and parmesan. Alas the photo quality is quite poor this time…

9 Likes

Its awesome to hear that you liked it!

3 Likes

Grilled chicken on a bonfire today :3

10 Likes

Ramen, although I didn’t make enough soup.

9 Likes

Wholemeal bread with chia seed fresh from the oven!

9 Likes

Chicken Sainte Menehould with Pommes Duchesse, raw marinated oyster mushrooms, cucumber salad, and the gravy from the chicken

8 Likes

Ooh yummy food but here is a Australia wild caught king salmon fish head soup, @Haze_with_a_Z probably wondering how it looks but here we go

Don’t care about the table and the spoon cause it isn’t washed yet and haven’t put what I put under the table down yet
Price :dollar::dollar::dollar:
Yummy :yum::yum::yum:

7 Likes

I’m not a baking person, I prefer actual food, but I found this recipe

the actual easiest bread ever and I thought someone might need a good, easy bread recipe what with this pandemic and whatnot.

I changed it up a bit (me being me), I put instant oats in the processor instead of whole wheat flour, but it came out great.
In my case, instead of 6 hours proofing it only got to 4 (Greek Summer 4eva), just a note depending on where you live you might want to check in between.

(Yes, that’s what’s left, we kinda devoured it with a kind-of-ratatouille-in-the-oven. It’s a dish that goes well with fresh-baked bread. :woman_shrugging:t2:)

6 Likes

Impromptu quesadilla sandwich with leftover meat and veggies that we had in the fridge turned out pretty phenomenally!

11 Likes

Please, no! Not this again.

9 Likes

:joy:
There’s a solution! This one fits into the cube rule as a sandwich, as the construction differentiates it from the typical quesadilla topology.

https://cuberule.com/

4 Likes