The most adorable introduction to Go ever 😁

Uses stone counting on 5x5 and 7x7.
I may or may not want this as a theme option on OGS now tbh :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

Very nice indeed.

OMG it looks cute but it doesnt work on my laptop for some reason :<

sad

At first sight the AI seems sweet for beginners, i miss of course a 9x9 after trying a 5x5.

1 Like

oh this is inspired by a Japanese artists work I say on Twitter - I dunno remember her (his?) name, I think I saved somewhere. When I find it gonna link it here ^^

2 Likes

I like faces. I used them in an analysis tool on my PC, called LizGoban.

But I don’t like blobs.
That’s a nice idea for understanding groups and liberties, but I don’t like it while playing actual games.

1 Like

I prefer this design.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t understand the logic of connecting some diagonals?

Why are the diagonals at the bottom connected?

1 Like

This one is even weirder, it has a long connection of a β€œtobi”, that hides an intersection:

3 Likes

To each their own I guess; to me puyogo feels way less cluttered (as in, the decorations are cute but not overwhelming). I also find it more visually appealing, but I haven’t polled a sample of real kids to see which one they prefer, so that part ain’t science :grin:.

Puyogo also does a good job at implicitly teaching the idea of connection β€” solidly connected stones are a single entity, whereas loosely connected stones support each other but the connection is thin and can be cut.

2 Likes

I think the idea of showing both solid and loose connections is genius, because it’s something hard to visualize when you are new to the game.

4 Likes

Here’s some more data points.

One point jumps and knights moves can be connected as well as kosumis, but I think it might depend on how close they are to being cut or something

9 Likes

Would be nice to have some words from the designer.
Before the full dissection from our pityless community.

4 Likes

I’d reach out but sadly my Japanese isn’t very fluent besides basic everyday words like β€œramen” and β€œmokuhazushi” :sweat_smile:

Here is a situation that I consider a β€œbug” of the AI:

The AI had two points left in its territory, exactly two eyes. Accordingly, the AI passed.

Since I had four eyes in my territory, and this is stone counting, I played a move in my territory instead of passing.

I expected the AI to pass again. But instead, the AI filled one of its two eyes, condemning its big group to die.

3 Likes

Might be β€œbugged” like that on purpose, so that the user sees what happens when you self atari? :thinking: Just speculating ofc.

1 Like

Most importantly it prevents the user from seeing how to score a game.

The game gets scored as one plays, it uses stone scoring, as pointed out in the first post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, the game does not get scored. Yes, the game is supposed to be scored with stone scoring. But I’m pointing a bug where the AI resumes playing instead of passing, and effectively kills all of its own stones, so that the game is NOT scored. That’s it. I’m just pointing out a bug.

4 Likes