The OGS Joseki Dictionary is live

Here’s a Samsung S8 screen - half the nav buttons are hidden. The standard OGS game screen doesn’t have the problem.

4 Likes

Thanks. Back to work, for me eh! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheer up, it is certainly a cool thing, still usable in the meantime, and I am sure it looks great on pc!

4 Likes

Thanks and hi from Chile !

2 Likes

Great job!

3 Likes

thank you :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks that’s great . I have a suggestion. I would be nice with a tutor mode where the possibles moves are hidden and when we try something its says if its wrong or right

That is what you get when you press the “Play” button :wink:

3 Likes

Sorry for not finding the correct place to do suggestions. The pass (also known as the tenuki button) is in my opinion quite small. The points during which you can tenuki in a joseki are mightily important and the button should emphasize this. Unfortunately players tend to not think about tenuki enough and the design should not promote this behaviour. TL;DR bigger pass button, maybe renamed to tenuki. There are currently few tenuki variations, but this should/could change!

3 Likes

Nice! I like it. I’m using on a PC and it works great. I also would like to see tenuki variations! What would be awesome for me (because I’m only 9k) would be a full board joseki dictionary —> meaning how each corner joseki might modify other corner joseki. (If my writing is not clear, what I meant is “whole board” thinking and showing how joseki in all four corners might happen in one game; that is if I play this joseki in upper right corner how does that change the best joseki moves in the lower right corner, upper left, and lower left corners?)

1 Like

A few whole-board-dictionary thoughts:

• The branching factor is really hard. If we have 1,000 tenuki-able positions, joseki after these joseki would be millions of positions.

• Who is qualified for this task? It’s not so difficult to source a joseki. Sourcing joseki after joseki is harder. I can give you my low amateur dan opinion of how a joseki influences the next ones. Or I can ask LeelaZero in hypothetical board positions (LZ is a silent teacher, so it’s still my opinion).

• Does whole-board vision really matter in a world where the two strongest AI are doing this in tournament games?

• How does a whole-board dictionary differ from a fuseki dictionary? How does it differ from a joseki dictionary with good comments at the end of each joseki?

5 Likes

I just noticed this: AlphaGo Teach — whole-board joseki

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Working on part 2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found a bug. If you select the empty entry at top of the filter list, it breaks the site.
Untitled

1 Like

I found a bug too.

And also fixed* it :grin:

anoek should implement it when he gets back from his holiday :slight_smile:

.* with help from @Eugene :wink:

2 Likes