Through the Years: Long Correspondence

I suppose they intend to be the longest first round game, which every survivor will follow by 2030, awaiting desperately for the last stone to be played.

1 Like

Yes, and also that number (2233) is quite nice for an extra bold t-shirt.

1 Like

In my group updates I’m going to list slowest games. But that’s when we’ll finally get everyone to play one move so it’s clear who’s actually planning to play.

3 Likes

The obvious question is How long can the first round possibly last?

Suppose we make the (false) assumption that no game can be more than 400 moves. There’s one week / move + weekend pause (two days), so effectively 9 days per move if the players are coordinated perfectly.

400 x 9 = 3,600 days which is just a tad under ten years. I don’t know how vacation time works, but hopefully that can push the possible length over a decade.

In reality, the maximum round length is so contrived that it’ll probably be no more than two-thirds of that.

2 Likes

In last days we had a bump in black wins and disqualified players as expected.

Herbdoulaye lost his last game in the round :frowning: so he didn’t reach 9 wins but we have at least 9 more candidates for that.

9 Likes

Is there a way to calculate the probability that at least 1 player will make wait the 2000 others 10 years?

(I am no mathematician)

3 Likes

If two players collude to pause the game, forever!

3 Likes

Just for fun

9 Likes

Yup, I’m actually trying to focus on one game at a time. And this game is currently the last on my list. I have 8 weeks left of my vacation time. I don’t think the other games will be finished before that. So I have to make my first move at some point before all my other games are finished :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Well, he timed out against me 3 days ago, and is back today playing moves in the other games. So, I could (should?) have put the game on pause …

3 Likes

With it’s 2233 players and 10038 games this tournament is a powerful tool for testing OGS server.
Today I discovered that we have six players who gained more points than they deserved.
It’s a bug that occurred before, there are traces in the forum too.

If someone’s interested in bug fixing I can provide more details.

4 Likes

I’m just interested in the bug (not the fix) :rofl:

3 Likes

Haste Makes Waste

2 Likes

The bug is simple: you win (say) 3 games and get 4 points.
We have 6 cases in 2233 participants.

2 Likes

If you put this on redbubble or something similar I would 100% buy one.

I’d also like love one that said “I survived round one” (assuming of course I don’t time out before then)

2 Likes

Data update:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:            153 (6.85%)
Still competing:                       2080 (93.15%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 3411 games decided out of 10038 (33.98%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:    111 (4.97%)
Number of players having finished no games:     407 (18.23%)
Groups with all games finished:                  1 (0.45%)
Groups with no games finished:                   1 (0.45%)

disqualified
disqualified_weekly
progress
progress_weekly

8 Likes

Guess we’ll go to 50% quickly, to 90% slowly. And at that point the serious waiting begins. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I was just thinking about, if, under certain circumstances, this tournament could have a noticeable effect on the ranks of all active players.
Probably not, but:

A game effects your rating when it ends, and it doesn’t matter what your and your opponent’s rating was at the time the game began, but only the moment it ends is important.
So, let’s say Alice plays in this tournament against Bob (and several others), and in the beginning, everyone in their group has the same rank x. But the round gets longer and longer, and their game and a significant number of other games is only finished after one year (or so).

Within this year, Alice studied tsumego, played a lot etc, and her rank is now x - 8, while Bob improved too at first, but then barely had time to play Go at all, and his rank is now x - 2. Back when the game started, Bob played a really good opening and was far ahead of Alice, so he wins the game. Because they are now 6 ranks apart, Bob’s rating gets a boost, while Alice’s drops.

Now imagine this would happen in many games within a short time… (I know, it’s extremely unlikely.)

7 Likes

It isn’t so unlikely, since we have 2233 players and 10038 games. What you imagined will probably happen to some games, but it’s just one game for Alice and Bob. It’s effect (if even noticeable) will disappear quickly with following games.

6 Likes

Are disqualified players informed/aware of the fact they are? I had a chat over a game with my opponent, who, as myself and certainly many other participants, had never engaged in any tournament before, and just engaged in this one because they were invited and/or found it was fun to participate in such a crazy thing.
He was not aware that a timeout meant disqualification for the next round.

And suddenly I was not sure myself it was the case, and could not point to a proper resource where this is explained clearly (it was explained somewhere in this thread if I remember well). Maybe it’s clearly set on the Tournament page, but since that one is just breaking most browsers, I had never managed to open it to figure what it says - until today :sweat_smile:

7 Likes