Through the Years: Long Correspondence

Nevermind, keep on posting them. By 2120, for the great retrospective of this Tournament, they will be posted in the hall of the Luoyang Go Museum, just for sake of their sheer graphic beauty. http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-07/16/c_138230579.htm

5 Likes

I wonder if this tournament will outlast OGS itself. It is conceivable that all relevant information to allow the tournament to proceed could be transferred to another as of yet nonexistent Correspondence Go site if OGS announces an end to an era.

4 Likes

Data update:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:            277 (12.40%)
Still competing:                       1956 (87.60%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 5612 games decided out of 10038 (55.91%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:    277 (12.40%)
Number of players having finished no games:     127 (5.69%)
Groups with all games finished:                  2 (0.89%)
Groups with no games finished:                   0 (0.00%)

disqualified
disqualified_weekly
progress
progress_weekly

I’m a bit ashamed, because my charts clearly don’t meet this thread’s new beauty standards.

10 Likes

Glitter makes everything better.

4 Likes
  • So is that most or not? :wink:
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Listen to Boris. Let’s squash that curve!

3 Likes

W-w-wait! W-w-what??!?! :joy:

Who’s Boris?

2 Likes

Our Lord Savior of Stones voted and he’s messing with us.

1 Like

What’s the problem? Clearly most people voted ‘yes’!

3 Likes

I voted for both because it’s context dependent. In the context of the question “‘[Just over] Half of the games are done’\nSo is that most or not?”, I would say yes, because “over half” falls within the semantic space covered by “most”.

However,

This was the original context as far as I can tell, and in this context, I answer no, half of all games plus one is not enough to be called “most”. “Most” in this context refers to nearly all, though how close to 1 the fraction is is contextual; I’d expect maybe 2 standard deviations to be a decent approximation, though it is vaguer than the exact line implied by that.

1 Like

That is indeed the comment that started this whole thing.
I take it to mean more than half. I was wondering how other people take it.

It’s strange the wide variation between what people consider most. Some say its the biggest part, some say 3/4, some seem to think it’s 95%. I wonder how often I’ve been in conversations where we’ve used the same word, but understood completely different things.

I think most games have been finished.

And just for fun, a little story about pedants.
When I was at college I had a friend who was extremely pedantic. He corrected a female friend of mine once too often and she blew.
“Oh for fuck’s sake! Your pedanticness is so fucking annoying!”
To which he replied:

"It's not pedanticness,

It’s pedantry".

5 Likes

Our glorious leader (here in the UK).
He’s been urging us to squash that curve, and I believe, if we try, we can can squash that decided games curve!

2 Likes

surely most would agree that most people voted yes?

1 Like

Oh, well, I didn’t know that quote but it’s very iconic.

I’m sure we can! :joy:

I agree. I don’t think it can mean anything else. Certainly not in the context of a binary situation. If the intention is to mean “almost all the games” that is a different thing. I understand there is an American English formulation where most is used in place of almost but I don’t think this is the usage here. It would still need to be “most all the games” I think but I’m not an expert.

2 Likes

I agree with this. Such words as "most’, “the majority”, “the greater part” and so on refer to anything over 50%, which in turn can be more than a “significant” or “large” part, but often smaller than “almost all” or an “overwhelming majority”. In English, we seem to lack an unambiguous term for a proportion of about 60–80%.

One way to do it might to abuse language a little by saying that “the typical game has been completed” or “typically, games have been completed”. Although, even “typically / usually / generally” are quite ambiguous terms.

1 Like

An important question I’ve been thinking about since the start of the tournament. Are we ok with paused games? I feel like while the joke is to have the tournament to be really long, I still meant it to finish at some point. And 7 days per move + weekends + vacation should be plenty to make one move. I think pausing games just for the sake of prolonging tournament is a bad taste. On the other hand having no pauses policy is bad taste also.

9 Likes

@Lys if you have a book (or a blog) about data visualisation I definitely want to read it. The plots are really cool! What are they done with, matplotlib or? (It might’ve said somewhere but I did skim through a couple of hundred posts and probably forgotten a lot or info!)

1 Like

It’s Tableau.

If you want to see some very cool chart, look at Tableau Public gallery:
https://public.tableau.com/

Here some more informations about my tools:

2 Likes

Would it be possible to limit pauses to say a month?