Through the Years: Long Correspondence

Pausing when both players agree and there is a reason, like one player having run out of vacation and not being able to play for a while but still planning to play again later - totally fine.

Pausing, just because it’s possible - no.

That’s my view on it.

6 Likes

Disclaimer, again : I’m not an English native speaker. What I had in mind in my infamous-over-commented remark was French la plupart which has the same ambiguity, being a contracted form of la plus grande part. But no dictionary ventures as far as defining how much this part must be the greatest one, if it’s the majority plus one, or 75% or 95%, and actually it might be any of those, depending on the context. In most usages of la plupart, it means clearly a comfortable majority, obvious enough that you don’t have to count. Like “La plupart du temps, il pleut en Angleterre.” :laughing:

5 Likes

I believe the accurate English term for 60%-80% is “Around 70%”.

8 Likes

So, how many games have only two moves played?

Your milestone announcement seems to imply that this is not zero.

We’re going to be doing this for a while …

5 Likes

Funny how white didn’t timeout all of a sudden, just like black did.
The first bunch of timeout by black was automatic, so they happened all together.
I would expect that also the first bunch of timeout by white happened within two or three days but it didn’t.

Also there seems to be some kind of weekly waves in timeout line. Perhaps because of the we pause?

3 Likes

Don’t worry, you’ll just have to be there for the second edition in 2047

2 Likes

This is not so much a ‘how to’ of data visualisation, more of a masterclass in what good data visualisation can achieve, but…

I am a huge fan of Hans Rosling
I highly recommend watching any of his lectures.

He had data visualisations that contain five orthogonal pieces of data about each country, and the information was conveyed so clearly that you simply cannot help but understand.
The subject matter itself is of the utmost importance, and if you treat yourself to one of his lectures, you truly will understand the world a little better.
I believe he open sourced the software he used, though I’ve not really looked into it.

And while I’m here, props to Flo Nightingale, the mother of all this.

3 Likes

:purple_heart: Hans Rosling.

I think many of his graphs were re-implemented in D3 by D3s author—then a data-visualizer at the NYT—Mike Bostock. Here is an example gallery of his graphs.

I think you might be talking about the famous wealth of nations, which compares live expectancy (y) with income per capita (x) over time (t), with geographical area (a) and population (p) controls (total five variables).

A nice example of Mike Bostock’s work I find is the Obama 2013 budget proposal. You can clearly see the Hans Rosling influence there.

Me too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Gapminder site is huge. I love the maps too.
https://www.gapminder.org/

That is indeed the visualisation I was thinking of (though sometimes with child mortality and children per woman).
Sometimes he just uses boxes (as in real boxes, not on a screen).
Wow! That is a hell of a lot of choice of visualisations on that D3 page! Are they free to use?

Cool. Joy Division

1 Like

I think so. D3 is it self BSD-3 licensed, so you can use it wherever you like. I can’t imagine that the observable notebooks have any stricter license. I saw the Joy Division plot is under CC-4 NC SA which means you can create derivatives and share them as long as you’re not making any money off it and release it under a similarly permissive license.

I’m guessing you could probably fork the observable notebooks you like, make some changes and use them to post to here as long as you follow the Terms of Service.

Data update:

Total number of participants:          2233
Total number of players in this round: 2233 (100.00%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
The following data is about the current round only.
Disqualified or dropped out:            294 (13.17%)
Still competing:                       1939 (86.83%)
Number of groups:                       224
Progress: 5897 games decided out of 10038 (58.75%)
Max. games decided by a single player:           9
Min. games decided by a single player:           0
Max. games still open for a single player:       9
Min. games still open for a single player:       0
Max. fraction of games done by a single player: 100.00%
Min. fraction of games done by a single player: 0.00%
Number of players having finished all games:    304 (13.61%)
Number of players having finished no games:     112 (5.02%)
Groups with all games finished:                  2 (0.89%)
Groups with no games finished:                   0 (0.00%)

disqualified
disqualified_weekly
progress
progress_weekly

First week with fewer than 300 games finished. The flattening of the curve has started.

5 Likes

Indeed, that’s the real question. @S_Alexander can you point at the games with the fewest moves, or even have an idea of the number of moves vs number of ongoing games relation. A call to data miners, @Lys, @richyfourtytwo would you be able to extract that?

2 Likes

Yes, but I should check each single game and that would require some programming effort. I don’t write code frequently, so it’s a big effort to me. I make a lot of trials and errors.

Oh damn, I was just about asking you to share them. :grin:

1 Like

If you want, I can upload game jsons so we don’t have to make the same thing twice.

1 Like

I don’t need that now, but I’ve something in mind. I’ll send you a PM

Villa (narrowly avoided relegation last season) just beat Liverpool (league champions) 7-2!

mu2554 has all their games paused, and that’s a bit annoying. They still play live games though.

5 Likes

And with 28 days on the clock. I vote for contacting them and asking them to un-pause.

5 Likes

What about the games with 4 moves paused? With 11?

That’s not such a big difference.

And how can you ask players to give back the right you gave them when organizing (the right to pause)?

1 Like