Through the Years: Long Correspondence

This gives a new meaning to the questions of the type “I am x years old, am I too old to start playing go”?

10 Likes

Dying is the ultimate timeout! Sounds like this is really a last-player-standing tournament, in which youth is even more of an advantage than usual.

10 Likes

In case a game is on pause and it doesn’t time out, I think it’s a good time for @moderators to decide on an upper limit to pausing. 50 years sounds good (for this tournament, don’t quote me elsewhere!).

Or: can descendants inherit games? :thinking: A game started in 2020 might be a valuable commodity in the future.

(EDIT: Some part of me wants all of us to coordinate and troll @S_Alexander and play as fast as possible, end the tournament within the year)

10 Likes

If you can arrange all that, you truly are a master opinion shaper! :laughing:

4 Likes

S_Alexander mentioned that chat is erased after some time, let’s copy what has been written there:

June 9, 2020

[ 2:57]S_Alexander: It’s not 4 weeks per move. Each move adds only one week to the clock.

[ 6:37]mananita: Hi! I love the idea! One week per move about 150 moves each means about 6 years a game. You will be there for my grandchildrens’ delivery! Keep in touch !

[ 9:00]enthusi: Hi everyone! Stay safe and greetings

[ 9:08]StonedStoner: Hello everyone. Let’s hope we don’t rush too much with the moves.

[10:36]chartreuse: I’m wondering that when you look at a game over say a year, right? it’s not just “when the maid came by with tea, when he fell into despair” etc. it’s where is this person in their Go, their style, etc

[10:37]chartreuse: it’s interesting

[12:37]李建澔2: 213 online in chat!gotta send it to Guinness world records lmao two records for this already I think maybe even more

[13:51]McMarkuSan: Hi, this will be very interesting :+1:, happy to be part of it.

[16:23]forestshrine: hello I am excited to be a part of this

[23:16]Auzei: This is interesting.

[23:17]Auzei: How did I get invited to this?

[23:17]S_Alexander: I invited you <3

[23:21]Auzei: So you just like found me randomly?

[23:24]S_Alexander: I have some lists of correspondence players.

[23:25]Auzei: Ah, sweet! I haven’t been invited to a tournament or participated in one so I was curious.

[23:25]Auzei: I’m going to hop into this one and see how it goes!

[23:26]Auzei: I want to play more live games honestly but it’s just more convenient to play correspondence usually.

[23:37]S_Alexander: Great!

June 10, 2020

[ 1:02]william.morisseau: thanks for the invite. let’s all be dans by the end of the tournament

[ 4:56]chartreuse: that’s a good goal, william. I’d like to crack dan on OGS one day, perhaps this tournament will show our growth through the games themselves

[ 5:40]cmhobbs: hello, all. thanks for the invite

[ 6:46]ginger2008: Cool tournament!

[ 8:15]MayuPandoraNoda: Thank you for inviting me!

[ 8:39]Kotrap: Omg

[ 8:39]Kotrap: 1000+ people

[ 8:43]Kotrap: tournament 61736

[ 8:43]Kotrap: Join my tournament pls

[ 9:31]ginger2008: Sorry. Gotta quit.

[12:01]chartreuse: 10 days for 1000 folks?

[12:01]chartreuse: start recruitin

[12:02]chartreuse: are you in the other one Kotrap?

June 11, 2020

[ 3:23]amtqaps: Thank you for the invite, S_Alexander.

[ 9:53]TomaLexi: 1404, steadily climbing up.

[10:44]Nifrus: Yea! Why not! :sweat_smile:

[18:17]eehoyminoy: this is such a cool concept!!

[18:17]eehoyminoy: thanks for putting this together @S_Alexander !

[20:26]bakogo: why am i so bad

[20:26]S_Alexander: don’t worry about it and have fun

[20:27]bakogo: the worse the mistake the less fun

[23:06]DocGiovanni: Hi

June 12, 2020

[ 7:37]blackblackberry: hey, I’m really exited for this tournaments

[ 8:17]nickmanbear: My first tournament. And it’s going to be a weirdo tournament like this. I love it.

[11:36]quospades: Hey ! great idea :slight_smile: I never socialize with players, its a shame. Can’t wait to know other Go players :slight_smile:

[14:01]AntoineAchach: hello :slight_smile:

[15:09]Rbpompeu: Ok, I’m in!

[16:49]calculus: Cool concept! Thanks for invite! Looking forward to playing you guys! :smiley:

June 13, 2020

[ 7:47]dol: this tournament will take forever and a year. i’m in

[10:36]Владимир ПВ: Из России сколько уже участников?

[10:37]Владимир ПВ: Новички есть?.. или одни мастера?..

[10:38]Владимир ПВ: Сколько уже человек зарегистрировалось?..

1 Like

bow

1 Like

Wow typed the chat out

1 Like

Or copy and pasted

2 Likes

Best post ever give five thousand likes to these post

1 Like

Originally when I created the tournament I put in 1500 max players as a stand in for infinity, a number that can’t be reached. And now we’ve surpassed it.

What surprised me is that no one has made a big tournament like this one before.

8 Likes

Dumb question, but does it say somewhere on the page how many players have joined? I must be overlooking it?

3 Likes

I don’t think so, but you can find it in the tournament list (currently second page):

6 Likes

Easier to go to the group page, it’s there too.

4 Likes

Given that 1600 players have joined… how many players will be in a group? Given 25kyu thru 5d (approx rank span) does that imply 30 groups? 1600 people divided into 30 groups gives 53 or so players per group.

I like the intent, not certain I want to start 50+ super slow games…

2 Likes

If we understand life correctly, no matter how many players are there in a group there should be no more than 10 players in a group. So 9 games or less per round.

9 Likes

300 people in chat

2 Likes

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
anonymous, attributed as a Greek proverb

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
adapted from the words of Wendell Berry

13 Likes

I am honestly really looking forward to this tournament! It will be interesting to see how long it will take but this is a great effort to bring the community together more.

3 Likes

In March I played a game The Longing:

The idea of the game is to wait for the awakening of the king for 400 days. Of course, that’s just a game you don’t literally have to wait 400 days. But the atmosphere of sitting and waiting is really nicely done.

Perhaps that’s one of the things that inspired me.

8 Likes

June 19, 2020
[17:46]anoek: y’all are making me update the tournament code so this doesn’t melt the servers when it starts :slight_smile:

12 Likes