Through the Years: Long Correspondence

@anoek’s comment seems to suggest that this might be, by far, the largest tournament ever on OGS. With 1840 players signed up (as of today), maybe that’s true, but I wonder what the second biggest tournament is, or if there was a larger one before?

5 Likes

Where’s the comment from?

How many levels of secret chats are there?!

1 Like

Probably this one, around 422 players. I wonder how do they get so many players~~

1 Like

Thanks for thinking of me - I saw the invite, but I regretfully decline. I’ve just got a lot of projects on my plate and I’m a bit short on mental resources right now.

7 Likes

Not on the forum. It’s in the “Through the years” tournament’s chat.

2 Likes

Oh, damn, how can I still avoid subscribing this???

2 Likes

A lot can change over the next few decades. You might develop a different opinion of this tournament as time moves on, especially as it may become one of the most famous and long-running events on this server. Some future generation of go players may envy us, since it started before their time. Perhaps there will be others that copy the concept, but this one will always be the first.

If you eventually regret joining, you can always withdraw.

If you eventually regret declining, well, you can’t do anything about that.

12 Likes

Basically, joining is anywhere between masochism and FOMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Fear
Of
Missing
Online go tournaments :wink:

9 Likes

Note: If, like me, having tournaments show on the right column even if you have resigned annoys you, be prepared that this tournament will NEVER go away. I had to mentally prepare myself, acknowledge and spiritually accept this fact before I joined.

10 Likes

:shushing_face:

Don’t scare people away.

A few years from now, there will likely have been many complaints from other like-minded people (who have also dropped out and want the tournament listing gone from their homepage), so maybe there will be enough lobbying to effect a feature change to hide tournament listings where you are no longer playing.

Or maybe, just never drop out?

8 Likes
2 Likes

The point of the tournament is that it’s not right now, though :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I guess there will be about 1500 disqualified players by the end of the tournament

4 Likes

We shall see fella, we shall see. Keep in mind there will be a bunch of people resigning the tournament at some point too.

1 Like

That is the same

They are different.

Disqualified is if they break tourney rules and the TD disqualifies then.

Resigned is if they opt out of finishing the tourney and decide to end their current games and resign from the tournament so they will receive no more games from the tournament.

1 Like

You also are disqualified if you time out, I believe.

6 Likes

Looking at the chat it seems that for many players this will be the first tournament ever. So it may have the side effect of boosting participation for other tournaments as well.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s true for OGS tournaments in general, but I’d guess when it’s close to start date and it reaches the top of the list we’ll have even more people signing up last minute.

1 Like