Through the Years: Long Correspondence

This doesn’t exist in the UK because nearly all public holidays are Monday or Friday so there is rarely a working day in between days off. The only exception is if Christmas Day is a Tuesday or Wednesday then that day and the day after are bank holidays but since that week only ever has three working days in it anyway (if Christmas is Saturday or Sunday then the Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays instead) many people take the three days leave anyway or are compelled to as their workplaces are closed. And if you cannot take those days of it’s probably because you are anyway working in the holiday days (e.g. emergency services or hospitality sector)

But anyway no special name like “faire le pont” (make the bridge) in French.

2 Likes

So, no holidays on specific dates usually (so the day of the week can vary)?

I would have guessed at least May 26th to be a national holiday this millennium.

Only Christmas and New year I think. What others are there? We have Easter that is always Sunday and so Friday and Monday are the holidays.

Early spring bank holiday, first Monday in May and late spring, last Monday in May. Summer, last Monday in August and that’s your lot.

I’m going to feel foolish I think but what happens on 26 May?

:stuck_out_tongue:

We have May 1st, January 6th and August 15th (religious), March 25th and October 28th (national), usually local Saint day is a holiday as well, depends.

2 Likes

Fun fact: Ioannina’s liberation day is February 21st (Balkan wars, long story).

It’s an important holiday and everything is closed etc.

My job is located maybe 10, no more than 15 meters in an adjacent municipality (technicality, everything is basically Yannena), so our boss says “No Yannena municipality, no holiday, suck it”, which doesn’t go too well here.

Traditional holidays, even if not official, tend to carry weight here.

3 Likes

In French it’s also called a “pont”

2 Likes

In France we have quite a few holidays at fixed dates, beyond Xmas and Jan 1st

• May 1st : Fête du Travail
  • May 8th : Fête de la Victoire (WWII)
  • July 14th : Fête Nationale (1789)
  • November 1st : Toussaint
  • November 11 : Fête de la Victoire (WWI)
3 Likes

Yesterday I got this:

• 70 games left, 99 players involved, 30 groups
  • 2 completed games
  • one disqualified player
  • 2 players completed all their games

6 Likes

I wonder if that has really happened in this tournament more than in other less extreme correspondence games, like e.g., the Site 19x19 ladder. As far as I am concerned, I had not great conversations in this Tournament, if any conversation at all, and I have already forgotten the names of all my opponents. Whereas in the 19x19 ladder in which I’ve been for longer, I have opponents I have met several times, and we have cool exchanges. Actually the ladder is the true neverending story, no one is wondering how long it will last.

3 Likes

Well I have certainly bonded with many of the chatters on this thread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yesterday I checked, but I can’t update the picture now.
Two more games completed.

3 Likes

But we are just at the very beginning of the tournament. Wait till round 8!

6 Likes

We have doubts to reach alive the end of round 1!!! :rofl:

3 Likes

“Remember Lys? You can’t find it anymore, because the forum software has been switched twice since, but that nice guy provided stats for roughly the first two decades”

7 Likes

I do wonder if our AI-preserved entities will finish this tournament for us.

2 Likes
1 Like

• 66 games left, 94 players involved, 29 groups
  • 2 completed games
  • one disqualified player, one resigned
  • 3 players completed all their games, one of which with 9 wins
  • one group completed all its games

7 Likes

Update on last monday:

• 65 games left, 94 players involved, 29 groups
  • 1 completed game
  • one disqualified player

4 Likes

The next 2^n games left milestone is near …

1 Like

The last one was nearly exactly 6 month ago. So we can ‘expect’ to be down to one game in three years.

1 Like