Thue-Morse (Fair Sharing) Sequence: A possible alternative to komi?

I was actually just asking in the group were many 19x19 games played. I’ll have a look through that one for inspiration for my game against Samraku :slight_smile:

I’ll post the game here at the end if I remember and if it’s appropriate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man, was it really October that we were discussing this? My life is flashing by :confused:

Bumping this thread to raise some awareness of this cool variant

3 Likes

Anybody who wants to play a live TM game one of these days?

1 Like

I’d be interested. I’m curious to try out my idea for a physical tool to keep track of a 3 digit hexadecimal number while making the parity of the number transparent and allowing very fast adding of 1 to the total. If it proves workable, It would make live TMG games eminently practical without computer or paper aids.

I’d be available Mon. – Thurs. after around 9:00 pm UTC for a few hours, usually.

1 Like

I’ve played a live TMG game with @Samraku, for who is interested:

I lost :sob:

3 Likes

Here is my move tracker.

5 Likes

How do you use it?

Mine is less fancy

4 Likes

Left square is the sixteens place, right square is the ones place, solid circles are digits which have parity in binary form. It’s just a hex number :smiley:

1 Like

This is my move tracker:

def thueMorse(n: int) -> int:
    return bin(n).count('1')%2
thueMorse_move = 0
move_number_to_thueMorse_move = ""
thueMorse_sequence = ""
for i in range(10000):
    if (i%2 == thueMorse(thueMorse_move)):
        if i%2:
            thueMorse_sequence += 'W'
            move_number_to_thueMorse_move += "W"
        else:
            thueMorse_sequence += "B"
            move_number_to_thueMorse_move += "B"
        thueMorse_move += 1
    else:
        move_number_to_thueMorse_move += "_"

def on_move(msg):
    game_id = msg["game_id"]
    move_number = msg["move_number"]
    game = active_games.get(game_id, None)
    move_numbers[game_id] = move_number
    if game is None:
        return
    # Thue-Morse
    if "Thue-Morse" in game["name"] and game["handicap"] == 0:
        is_black = (game["black"] == player_id)
        is_white = (game["white"] == player_id)
        if (is_black and (move_number % 2 == 0)) or (is_white and (move_number % 2 == 1)):
            if move_number_to_thueMorse_move[move_number] == "_":
                game_pass(game_id)
        if move_number % 10 == 0:
            game_chat(game_id, "next 30 moves: " + move_number_to_thueMorse_move[move_number:move_number + 30],
                      move_number)
5 Likes

Yeah, I made an automatic one as well, but we decided to do it by hand instead.

2 Likes

Wednesday ~20:30 UTC: Samraku vs Vsotvep in TMG

We’re both planning on keeping track of the move order using physical implements again, but Vsotvep is going to see if he can’t come up with his own so we can compare and hopefully learn from eachother’s attempts.

2 Likes

It’d be pleasant for OGS to be the home of Thue-Morse Go: our “indigenous variant”.

If we can get a community set up – I note that we already have an OGS group, which I’m a member of – and we can arrange at least a few games a week, we could set the snowball in motion.

2 Likes

What if we set up a Google-docs or something where people could post upcoming times and dates they would be interested in playing a game with someone, and other members can fill in their name if they would be able to play then?

Maybe a spreadsheet with columns for “Player 1 (posting challenge)”, “Player 2 (leave blank for open challenge; enclose with parens to challenge one player (and tag them somewhere else))”, “Game settings (can be a range)”, “Date/Time (UTC)”, “Misc. Notes”?

2 Likes

Perhaps we could organise a TM round robin tournament?

For those who jumped into the game and had no idea what the move order was: see my older post here and onwards for a quick way to follow the game.

1 Like

That would be cool. We could just let players schedule their games themselves with a different opponent each week until the tourney is finished. So if Alice, Bob, Carol, and Dave were the participants, Alice and Bob would find a time which works for them week one, as would Carol and Dave. Then Alice and Carol would play during week 2 while Bob and Dave do the same. Then Alice and Dave on week 3 along with Bob and Carol. (obviously order doesn’t matter much)

1 Like

This was the first game I played vs samraku

Starting a new one now.

2 Likes

If anyone would like to play live games of TMG, I’d love to schedule some. My and Vsotvep’s game has been rescheduled until Friday, so I’m available at around 8:30pm UTC tomorrow, as well as all day (aside from my Vsotvep game) on Friday.

1 Like

Here is my current setup:

The red one moves every movette, the blue one every 16 turns. The color of the blue one decides which arrow the red one needs to take at the crossroads.

5 Likes

@Vsotvep vs. @Samraku

1 Like