Thue-Morse (Fair Sharing) Sequence: A possible alternative to komi?

Here is my current setup:

The red one moves every movette, the blue one every 16 turns. The color of the blue one decides which arrow the red one needs to take at the crossroads.

5 Likes

@Vsotvep vs. @Samraku

1 Like

Yet another defeat, not so glorious this time (I seem to have left my concentration somewhere else today)

1 Like

Anyone up for some 21x21 TMG, either live or correspondence, because TMG games tend to be a little on the short side on 19x19? Iā€™m also game for some 19x19 as well, though I definitely prefer live in both cases.

@Samraku vs @_KoBa

2 Likes

A small note on the effect of allowing suicide in TM games:

White would be unconditionally alive in a normal go game, regardless of the rules regarding suicide. However in a TM game, white is dead if black has a double move: black simply plays A twice.

5 Likes

Two Polls for Everyone:

Iā€™m trying to gauge interest in other ways to get TMG games in, and me and a few other people have expressed interest in a short tournament of sorts, so I look forward to seeing everyoneā€™s responses!

Tournament

Who would be interested in a TMG Round Robin Tournament where you have a different opponent each week and you schedule a game with them at some time during that week and report your result? If thereā€™s sufficient interest (3+ players), Iā€™ll make some more polls for stuff like time controls.

• Yes, I would play in a TMG Tourney
  • I might join.
  • I wouldnā€™t be interested in this.

0 voters

Ladder

Who would be interested in an ongoing correspondence TMG ladder? If thereā€™s sufficient interest (3+ players), Iā€™ll make some more polls for time control and implementation details. If thereā€™s a lot of interest, Iā€™d be open to making two ladders: a faster one, and a slower one. Of course, people would be free to play in both if they wished.

• I would play in a TMG ladder, absolutely
  • I might play, depending on the settings
  • I probably wouldnā€™t play.
  • I have no interest in this.

0 voters

1 Like

There seems to be some good interest in a tourney, so letā€™s do some polls! Choose the option that you most want; I will make runoff polls if one option does not get >50% of the votes, so vote for your favorite, not the lesser of two evils. :smiley: Second note: These times are rough. Once itā€™s narrowed down to one of these four, Iā€™ll make a set of polls for more detail. Finally, if there are aspects of this which you believe deserve polls, feel free to suggest them and Iā€™ll create polls for them.

• 30 sec. +9 sec/move Blitz
  • 10 min. +30 sec/move Rapid
  • 20 min. +45 sec/move Live
  • 60 min +1 min/move Slow

0 voters

If we are to play them back to back on the same day, I would be for the ā€œRapidā€ option, if played on separate days, the ā€œSlowā€ options seems more reasonable.

It would be one game per week, scheduled with your opponent for that week.

Itā€™s been a bit over a week, so Iā€™m going to close the poll and consider ā€œSlowā€ to be the winner. Now for some details!

This time Iā€™m going to make it multiple choice and choose the one with the most votes, holding a run-off only if there is a tie for first. This style of voting will bias the results away from extremes and towards mutual acceptability, which I think is an acceptable loss in this context. I tried to represent a wide array of possible ā€œSlowā€ time controls here; feel free to comment if your preference (longer than ~20m +30s/move) is not here.

• 30m +60s/move
  • 45m +60s/move
  • 45m +90s/move
  • 60m +60s/move
  • 60m +90s/move
  • 60m +120s/move
  • 90m +45s/move
  • 90m +60s/move
  • 90m +90s/move
  • 120m +30s/move
  • 120m +45s/move
  • 120m +60s/move

0 voters

Does anyone have any input on Miai Counting when Tally == 0 ?

Iā€™m still unsure how to count in TMG.

I feel like +60s fischer is too long for any game, maybe that 90m+45s option is the nicest one. Or the 120m+30s.

1 Like

Looks like we need one more poll to break the tie. Same deal as above, we will only hold a tiebreaker if there is a tie. If all three options are tied, I will choose one at random. (thereā€™s a ā€œrollā€ function, right?)

• 30m +60s/move
  • 45m +60s/move
  • 45m +90s/move

0 voters

I agree, but this is what people voted for. Iā€™ll still happily play any of these time controls that are left, though.

One idea would be to allow the players, if both agree before the game when scheduling it, to agree to pause with a sealed move (via malko log) after a certain amount of time, agreed by the players, to be continued on another (agreed beforehand) date/time later in the week. Unpausing the game without the opponent being there, while perfectly legitimate usage of OGS, would be grounds for an adjudicated loss by forfeit. If your opponent is not showing up for the continuation, and you can point to a forum post or game chat which shows that this is the time your opponent agreed to show up, you can ask for adjudication as a win by forfeit.

This actually makes me want to do a tourney (either ortho-go or TMG) with very long time controls where a sealed move is required. Could be interesting.

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I like this sealed move idea. I think it will make it a lot easier for many people to fit in games this long. I can draft up some more formal rules on implementation, too.

1 Like

Maybe there should be a sealed move time setting: Clock doesnā€™t start when your opponent played but when you unseal their move.

1 Like

TMG Round Robin Tourney

I think itā€™s time to stop procrastinating and prepare to war! Please comment in post or pm if you believe I have overlooked something in these rules. Players must post links to their games to this thread (or in pm to me) so that I can add them to the list of Tourney Games.

EDIT: The Tourney has begun! See the bracket at challonge.com/gvb8wmtf Letā€™s have some good games!

Game Rules

All games are games of TMG played on ā€œonline-go.comā€.
You may use physical and/or electronic aids to track the move order, but not to count the score, play out variations, or suggest moves.

TIme Control

30 minutes per player with a 60 second fischer increment per move, with the max time set to as high as OGS will allow.

Also see ā€œSealed Moveā€ section below.

Ruleset

New Zealand unranked with 0.0 komi.

Structure

Pairings

The tourney will last for n - 1 weeks where n is the number of participants. Each week you will be paired with a different participant until you have played everyone else once. The pairings will be posted on Challonge.

Scheduling

Upon the dawn of each new week, each participant should contact their designated opponent via forum and/or OGS pm. The two players should make mutual reasonable effort to arrange a time UTC at which they can both begin their game. If they agree to play with a sealed move, they should also designate a later date (preferably within the next ~36 hours) at which the game will be completed.

While players are highly encouraged to make all reasonable effort to complete their games within the week, leeway will be extended if the following conditions are met:
a) they can show reasonable effort on their part to arrange the game in a timely manner
b) they are not unduly postponing the Tourney by their delay.

If one player is unresponsive to attempts by the other to arrange the game, the second player may request an adjudicated win by forfeit. If I want to take advantage of this, I will ask another player to make the judgement call of whether or not to adjudicate this way.

If both players are unable to arrange a mutually agreeable game time despite mutual effort, they can request an adjudicated draw.

Sealed Move

Agreement

Given the high degree of support splitting each game into multiple sessions has received, each game will be played in two sessions by default. Players should agree when initially scheduling the game on two variables: in how many sessions their game will be played, and (if played in more than one session) how many hours/minutes each session aside from the last will last. Each session, if not ending due to the game being completed, will end with a sealed move, which will only be revealed to the opponent at the advent of the next session.

The two session model assumes that 256 moves is a decent (probably high) estimate of the number of moves in the game. Adding in passes brings the estimate to around 300 moves. This gives 5 hours of increment (between both players), in addition to the 1 hour of main time, for a total of around 6 hours as a high estimate for total game time. This gives 3 hours as a good rough halfway point. Players may agree during scheduling to break after a different length of time, and must specify intervals if playing in three or more sessions, it is recommended to keep these numbers in mind when making such decisions.

Playing Each Session

When each session of a multi-session game begins, the players must make a note in chat containing the following information (exact wording not required as long as information is clearly communicated) (ā€œaā€ may be skipped after the first session):
a) This game is being played over <number of sessions> using sealed moves between sessions.
b) This is session <session number (1-indexed)>, starting at <time>.
c) After <length of current session>, one player will seal a move and pause the game.
d) The game will resume for session <next session number> at <resumption time/date>.

The game start time can be found by clicking on ā€œGame Informationā€ from the game screen. The total number of sessions and the length of each should also be posted in the game chat at the beginning of the first session. This procedure is intended to ensure that the players are on the same page, as well as explaining what is going on to future and current spectators.

Once the allotted session time (default 3 hours for a two-session game) has passed, both players should mention in chat that they have recognized this. The player whose turn it is then decides on their move (or double move, as the case may be (in the edge case that the time for the session expires after the first half of a double move has been played, but before the second half has, only the second half is sealed)), but does not play it. Instead, once they have settled on their decision (with their clock still running), the player to play should type their sealed move into the Malkovich Log (Accessed by left-clicking on the word ā€œchatā€ to the left of the chat input box. It will be visible to spectators but not the opponent until after the game.), and then pause the game. It should still be their turn according to OGS. Both players should then acknowledge that the game is paused until the resumption date/time. Unpausing by either player before this occurs is grounds for adjudicated loss by forfeit.

When both players arrive for the resumption of the game, they should unpause the game, and then the player who sealed a move must play that move. No moves may be played while the game is paused. If one player fails to show up, the players may work it out for themselves or ask for a win by forfeit to the present player at the present playerā€™s discretion. Thereafter the game continues normally to conclusion.

Participants

Here is the current list of participants. In order to join, pm me either here or on online-go.com, or post in this thread, and I will add you to the list. The tourney proper will start in 7 days, one week from now, on Sunday, June 7. I will post a link to the Challonge bracket to this thread when it begins.

• HHG
  • le_4TC
  • Samraku
  • Vsotvep
4 Likes

Iā€™ll join

1 Like

Iā€™ll join!

1 Like

@flovo, @_KoBa, @shinuito, @Assai, @HHG, @bugcat, @Kosh and @BHydden, yā€™all expressed some interest in TMG, , arenā€™t you interested in joining?

1 Like