Tibet in the nation list

Hi,

I am the developer of a Go game on Steam and I’ve received some complaints from players about the country list in OGS Profile.

As a Chinese, we find it very inappropriate to put Tibet in the country/nation list. It’s similar to put California or New York to the country list.

In my opinion, OGS is a Go platform where people are having fun and there is no need to bring politics and sensitive content here.

2 Likes

Politics is everywhere. Didn’t you just start a political discussion with this request?

15 Likes

For what it’s worth, since you compared to the US, Puerto Rico is also in the nation list.

17 Likes

There’s also Scotland and Klingon in the list, just mentioning. Who’s bringing in the politics?

14 Likes

The “nation list” is not a list of nations, as it contains

• Regions inside countries (e.g. Réunion)
  • Islamic conference
  • LGBT + Pride
  • NATO
  • Latin America, North America
  • World
  • Pirate
  • Esperantujo
14 Likes

Now I’m wondering who these ‘Prise’ people are! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Typo corrected!

4 Likes

So glad I never make any!

6 Likes

I just took a brief look at the list and I must say it is very interesting. It even has stuff like Eurozone and Northern Europe (whatever that means). Then there is OPEC and ASOIAF houses like House Stark. :smile:

7 Likes

The flags are there for users to tell where they are from, and those include plenty of real (and sometimes controversial depending who you ask) sub-regions like tibet, northern cyprus, åland islands, or OPEC - and also many imaginary ones like ‘united federation of planets’ from the star trek and ‘house targaryen’ from games of thrones.

Its all just fun and games, and changing ones flag into something else than the default “unspecified” is entirely optional.

I choose to wave the pirate flag on my profile, since you know, pirating and pillaging is cool ^^

edit: btw the reason why we dont have flags for the states of united states of america is simply because those flags are just so horribly ugly xD

15 Likes

Tibet is independent.

Uyghurs are slayed by the brutal hypocritical china.

You cannot change this truth. All the West knows and sees this truth. All the people under so-called chinese gov are going to be liberated soon.

Yes we had fun until you bring such a question in this forum.

Long live Modu Chanyu - Wikipedia!

4 Likes

Why don’t you just relabel the selector from “Country” to “Country/Territory”. That’s what the Chinese do when they want to get extra places in the WAGC for Hong Kong and Macau. Or just “Flag”.

Anyway, I am glad that your Chinese customers are having their horizons broadened. The British empire was obviously an empire because it was a non-contiguous landmass. The Chinese and Russian empires are less obvious, being a contiguous landmass.

11 Likes

Hm.

I’ll not open it, but this is a can.

7 Likes

If you do not mind me asking - I will not go into politics at all - but why did they complain to you about it?
I mean you are making your own Go related product. Why would anyone consider it reasonable to complain to you, about a different Go related product, which you have nothing to do with?

It is like going to MacDonalds to file a report for Burger King. It is a bit of an odd idea, so I am just curious. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Presumably his game is an interface that connects to existing servers such as OGS. It’s a sensible choice to get a non-0 initial userbase and improve matchmaking. The Conquest of Go game does it for example.

8 Likes

oh, I see. Thank you for this reply. That makes sense now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, that’s a good point here :slight_smile: If they don’t like it, they can just complain here directly, instead of asking me to do so.

8 Likes

And there was a whole new can of worms :worm:

3 Likes

Imagine an American complaining that the Flag of California is offensive :joy:

16 Likes

If you’ve seen End of ze World, you know California is already planning to break off from America…

>>>

… to go hang with Hawaii
… Alaska can come too.

THE END >_<

5 Likes