Watashi - I (japanese)

1 Like

shibboleth (English)

1 Like

Never heard of it… What does it mean?

1 Like

Lethargy (Sleepiness) - English

1 Like

“A word, especially seen as a test, to distinguish someone as belonging to a particular nation, class, profession etc.”

For instance, if I want to out a foreigner I might try to entrap them into using won when they should use beat, which is a mistake many English-learners make.

Or if I wanted to detect a person from Northern England, I could try to induce into saying path or bus and judge their vowel pronunciation.

If I remember rightly, the UDA paramilitary group in Northern Ireland used a shibboleth to figure out what neighbourhood you were from, or whether you were Protestant or Catholic (street and faith being basically the same thing.) That might be an urban legend though.

1 Like

gyrus (circle) – Latin

1 Like

Ustedes - they? Spanish
Allow me to look this one up
Edit: it is actually You(pl)
I knew it was a word, but I didn’t know what it meant. Sorry to all of you spanish and non-spanish speakers for my mistake.

1 Like

destiny (English)

1 Like

What starts in ny…
Let me think for a little bit.
Found an English word:)
NYE.
Not going to help me though.

nyaaaaaaa~!

1 Like

Nigiri (some Go term) - Japanese

1 Like

ride - English
My Failed Ride Script:

Person 1. You can ride a horse. You can ride a car. Any questions?
Person 2. PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME!
Person 1. What is your question?
Person 2. Can I ride life?
Person 1. No way, why would you be able to?
Person 2. I thought you could ride anything.

It was meant to be funny, but it really isn’t. I still got a word though. Sorry about my tangent.

2 Likes

descindo (I cut) – Latin

1 Like

Doe - A female dear :slight_smile: English
I was thinking of the song from sound of music that I wouldn’t be able to determine if the Ray/Re they use is re or ray in the lyrics. This is why I am not putting any of the lyrics.

1 Like

I don’t have to put all of that extra stuff, but it is fun to do, and I am not always racing to put stuff down on here.
On a different note:
@bugcat, I have replied to you 47 times right now. Probably mostly from this.

1 Like

o’er (English)

1 Like

eres - to be (you singular form)
It is a Spanish irregular verb so I tried to write the table out. It might be slightly wrong, but I tried.
Hopefully the table:
yo soy
tu eres
el/ella es
nosotros somos
ellos son(I put sunt but I don’t think that it is right.

2 Likes

yo soy

If I’m ever rich and I employ ten failing actors to each do nothing but hold a bottle of sauce next to my table, this is how I’m calling over the soy guy.

2 Likes

rest (fish scales) – Westrobothnian

Westrobothnia is a little province on the east coast of Sweden. Westerobothnian is a set of dialects, a bit like Flemish or what’s going on in the Balkans or Switzerland.

1 Like