Translingual Shiritori

stallion - english(a male horse)
I was about to write it like stalion so I had to look it up :no_mouth:
What should I talk about now? I don’t have a ton to talk about with horses.

The short A in stallion implies the doubled consonant-letter (not, I add, an actual doubled consonant.)

Compare galleon, which also has a short A.

1 Like

You see why I am not great at spelling. Or always grammar for that matter. I would never have seen that, so thank you for sharing this information. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Any help?

1 Like

when I look at a topic with a bunch of posts, I don’t usually look through all of the top ones, because then it gets really long and I don’t feel like looking at the summary. I then will just scroll all the way down to the bottom, and then sometimes up a little for context. You can see why I have said some stupid things in chats, because I just don’t look at the top much anymore, since I have to then scroll all the way up, only to look at one or two things before I scroll all the way down.

203 out of almost 475. I maybe started looking at it around 300-350, but I didn’t go that far up. Also the word is still stallion if you want to continue. I looked at the first maybe 5 posts before scrolling all the way down to almost the bottom.

yoni, योनि (vulva) – Sanskrit

1 Like

oniguri - japanese I think it is a food but let me check.

I think you want onigiri, derived from the nigiri we already saw.

1 Like

My spelling sucks. I can’t guess the vowels, especially in a different language. I am talking about those rice ball things. It did say showing results for onigiri though, so I should’ve actually paid attention to that. Do I need a new word now?

nigiri means “clump up”, so these are clumped-up rice. When you do nigiri before a game to decide who gets what colour, you do it with the white stones – like rice.

Onigiri will be just fine as your word c:

1 Like

Makes sense. I came up with another word that I then realized was om-. Omnibus - All. Just sharing because, hey why not?

1 Like

rideam (you may laugh) – Latin

I’m not sure whether it has the same connotations as in English though, where it’s very tied into:

“You may laugh, but -”

1 Like

Root of bus ofc ^^

1 Like

Was that wrong? Well, mine not yours.

What I was saying is that Latin omnibus (for all) is the root of English bus. Buses were originally called omnibuses, because everyone was allowed to ride on them.

Actually omnis is “all” – it takes a common inflection -ibus which indicates the dative and ablative plural.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/omnis#Latin

1 Like

Makes sense. I thought I was the one with the mistake there.
Well, here is my word:
Amplitude - English

Oh no, I thought I was getting the hang of this and then the rules changed slightly. I still need to catch up.

1 Like

The only rules now, really, are not to use the same language as the previous post or the one before.

1 Like

The phonetic rules, though? English is my main so I’ll have to duck in when I can.

1 Like