Translingual Shiritori

The new rules don’t let you transfer phonemes when they’re different letters / sounds in the language that you’re entering.

ie. you can translate L --> R going into Japanese, but not going into Latin.

But we decided it was best to keep things loose, allow some creativity. eg. I had yoni from stallion.

1 Like

depnesse (ocean) – Middle English

1 Like

So maybe sechs (six) - German

:no_mouth:

2 Likes

There, you’re already at it :3

1 Like

Don’t worry about consonant-vowel any more, we abandoned that.

exscindite (destroy it!) – Latin

kindly put sechs back so this chain makes sense ^^

1 Like

Tenth - English (1/10)

1 Like

Ooh! Hard phoneme!

1 Like

theremin (electronic instrument) - Russian origin…

I’m learning so much, already. This is really the international word D: and nouns…

2 Likes

mino (“A magic spell cast, by a supernatural being, to confuse, disorient or make people lose their way.”)

This is in a language I’ve never heard of before, called Cebuano. It’s spoken in the Phillipines.

2 Likes

nōgaku - Japanese

I thought of Noh theatre… lead me to this. Gaku is games… skill games?

2 Likes

culmus (hay) – Latin

1 Like

Mustard - English
As in the the condiment.

2 Likes

As opposed to the colour?

2 Likes

aarde (ground) – Dutch

the word helping aardvark keep its top listing in the dictionary :wink:

1 Like

As you demonstrated(English), I don’t know the color mustard very well. Sorry for the late response. I was watching a show. I don’t really have much to demonstrate for you right now, but I have a word, so it’s all good😎

Taedo (Attitude/manner) - Korean

1 Like

Dominus - master in Latin

@bugcat rideam is first person, not second person; centris is dat/abl plural, the nom is centrum. It’s a greek word (kentron) meaning ‘prick’ or ‘thorn’ anyway, namely the prick of a compass. A gyrus is the ridges on a brain’s surface, but can mean circle. A regular circle is just a circus or circulum (who’da thunk!) or orbis. Gyrus is a greek loanword and I never ever encountered it in the wild. My dictionary makes culmen a single stalk of a cereal (german Halm). Hay as a bunch of mown grass is faenum or fenum.

Nussbaum - Walnut tree (Doytch)

2 Likes

Umami- Japanese
It apparently means pleasant savory taste but when I came up with it, I thought of the food.

minanter - in a menacing way (Latin).