Unable to challenge bot Agapanthus (26k)

Hello everyone. New go player and OGS-user.
I’d like to challenge the Agaphantus (26k) bot, but I get an error message saying “Not allowed to challenge this player”. Any idea what’s up?

It’s in the list, but I can’t find any player with that name.
I’d say it just doesn’t exist.
Maybe the list needs to be updated.

2 Likes

For bots you have to contact the bot owner as OGS don’t manage them
You can usually find more information in the bot profile.

IF that bot exists! :smiley:

2 Likes

Agapanthus did exist, because I saw some of its games in the games tab. Therefore, the owner probably took it offline, or changed its name, subsequent to the OP’s experience.

Perhaps the bot had a restriction against provisional players.

1 Like

But then, why it is no more in the list of players, shouldn’t it still be even if it retired (or changed name)

Does someone have the URL of the bot’s profile?

1 Like

A retired player can be deleted.
Games are still there, but you can’t find that name anymore in the site.
Same thing for players that change their name.

2 Likes

Yeah: Agapanthus

It is actually one of ours, and I am not sure why it should be offline like this, I will contact the admin about it, sorry about the troubles.

1 Like

As a side note, don’t hesitate to play humans of your same level.
Humans are fun and it’s a bit hard to program a fun beginner bot.

1 Like

Do you mean it is owned by OGS? I thought OGS didn’t own/administer bots. And how can an account exist but be unsearchable?

It used to be that way, but recently anoek started a few of his own because of a percieved lack of low ranked bots

No idea at this point, it will also be a part of my enquiry :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I struggle to match against humans of low rank. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a rank yet (guess it’s still being calculated), but to me it appears that there just aren’t as many players. Maybe I’m doing something wrong (like wrong board size or game type).

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

OGS has a big problem with beginners if you use automatch to get players of same level to play with you. It will take many games to get rated as a beginner. These games will be painful too as you will be matched with far too strong players by the system. Really sorry on this.

So instead i recommend you to create custom games offers (rated or not) to find more easely games with same level players.

If you still have difficulties to find players you can ask in the chat or post a topic in this same forum

Welcome and have fun!

For more about beginners coming to OGS

2 Likes

Really useful to know!

I wonder if this isn’t a massive barrier for newcomers to the world of go. Imagine a go server that’s exclusively for beginners (once you’re above a certain rank, you can’t play there)…maybe we should build one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well i hope this will change too.
Have fun anyway in your games!

Thanks!