Unique professional openings

Excellent. The spectator who noticed that Gennan’s ears turned red was his physician, who didn’t know much about go, but observed that Gennan was really shocked by that move.

What surprised me was that I couldn’t find this game on Waltheri.

3 Likes

There is only one instance in Waltheri’s database, so it seems to be fairly unique. But I agree it does not look as outrageuous as some other openings posted here.

2 Likes

It’s there, but Shusaku’s name has a mistake in that game record.

I played the first opening several times online(7-8 years ago) and tried many other novel openings
Anyway, I think I won’t play them in offline tournaments. haha

2 Likes

Yasuda Shusaku?

1 Like

I never heard of that name for Honinbo Shusaku, but senseis also has a reference to that name, so perhaps not a mistake?

1 Like

infant Alphago :grinning:

1 Like

If you search to move 9, there are 8 games in Moyogo, including a match in 1982 with Cho Hun Yun 9p.

The unicity comes after, with Gennan inciting his young challenger into a Taisha.

Honinbo is a title (In 1936,the last Honinbo. Shusai donated the title to Nihon Ki-in)
Shukasu lived in 19th century.

2 Likes

Shusaku used various names. He was born as Kuwahara Torajiro (1829-06-06), used Yasuda Eisai 1835-1841, Yasuda Shusaku 1841-1848 (after reaching 2d), Kuwahara Shusaku 1848, Honinbo Shusaku 1848-1862. He died 1862-09-03.

For more info:
https://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/games/Shusaku/

3 Likes

And now let’s get back to
UNIQUE PROFESSIONAL OPENINGS
:crazy_face:

1 Like

This game is so weird! It feels as if they added some extra rules.

It’s a game between two top pros played in 2019: http://ps.waltheri.net/database/game/81692/

8 Likes

Yamashita Keigo (B) vs Cho U (W) NHK cup 2002

W + R

5 Likes

6-6 are good for you!

Ryu Shikun (W) vs Muramatsu Ryuichi (B)

Gosei title 1993

7 Likes

That’s beyond weird. Was it online, one of them misclicked (maybe at 5?), and the other tried to play an equally bad move (6) as a show of respect?

2 Likes

I believe you’ve just won this thread. Bizaaaarre.

3 Likes

And the game only gets stranger as it goes on. I’m at move 50 and most of my brain has already fallen out.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Yu–Liang '88

What’s more, Black won this game by resignation.

In the Master series in 2017, AlphaGo Master (always White) played (6) at Q5, disrupting the formation.

4 Likes

Yeonwoo playing this “sanrentakamoku”.

1 Like