Upcoming interface changes to the Game page and AI reviews

On Android (Samsung) mobile: It’s still more difficult than before the update. Before, I tapped to get to the next game where it was my turn, I clicked the double forward arrow, I tested moves, to go all the way back to the current position I clicked the double back arrow, then I clicked the double forward arrow, etc. When I decided on my move, I clicked submit. Now I have to click the org chart to get the arrows for each subsequent game, and after testing moves I need to swipe the screen upward, click return to game, then submit. My suggestion would be an option to have a default layout like the old one, with the arrows and submit button always visible on the screen, as well as the chat window always visible by scrolling down.

3 Likes

Also, just an observation, several times I have found that I unintentionally asked for a redo of last move

1 Like

New scoring icon is excellent addition.

Thanks for reverting some of the more frustrating updates (eg. putting back the jump to first move button, the confusing ghost stone during reviews)

I appreciate the work and the responsiveness to community feedback. Some advice I got from my professor is that if you ask 5 people for feedback and get 5 different answers, you’re probably doing ok. But if you ask 5 people for feedback and you get 5 people asking for the same thing, you should probably change it.

With that said, I would like to humbly request the return of zen mode for the mobile version

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Since the update, i have accidentally clicked undo twice, and paused the game unintentionally. And i find it hard to use analyse mode to try out moves. This is the worst UI update. Can you give us the option to revert back the old UI. I use iPhone safari. Please also give me back the move navigation buttons directly below the board

2 Likes

:construction:bug in the display

I didn’t know the meaning of some buttons so I tried them blindly. This makes me: ask to take back my move and spend a pause for nothing.

That’s kind of awful, I would be happier if I could annul this ( stop asking to take back my move at least, I guessed annul and get back the pause to be not possible)

If we want to keep something very symbolic and prone to confusion without text/popup then there should be a confirmation screen in the process which shouldn’t be a problem because taking back and pause are rare actions

Edit: I just saw that you can annul the taking back demand, great.

So just remains the pause unwanted

1 Like

Annoying opponents because the only way to find out what an unlabelled button does is to click on it is not a great user experience.

3 Likes

I know some people don’t like popup and such but it would be great here to get more info by leaving your finger/ mouse on the buttons. I felt not so good with the button about conditional moves that I discovered too, because I didn’t know what I had to do to cancel the action too

I 'm fine with how these buttons are looking but that’s not self explanatory at all

If you hover over the buttons they should have little titles that pop up, also many have fully labeled names in the ‘…’ menu (they are in there redundantly)

Well nothing like that (little titles) on my android+brave

(I just checked but maybe others may confirm?)

1 Like

Yeah indeed, can’t hover over the buttons on mobile :<

3 Likes

Another confusion I get is with the chat option. Is there a difference between both ( the one in the dental wheel and the one on the bar? ) If so what is the difference? It looks like a general setting vs this game setting, is it?

Previously I did not have to “find” this stuff, it was in plain sight, where it could be easily accessed

In particular, please restore Zen Mode to the screen. I know where it is now, but that is not my point

1 Like

Thinking out loud: maybe a series of short videos/gif recordings of where to find the functionalities? (maybe in a “Help” section somewhere in the hamburger/three dots menu) Or even a basic image/infographic. This might help users on devices that do not have mouse/mouseover, and in general, for accessibility (ie. low/no vision, …)

If I recall correctly some time ago there were requests regarding voice description of the moves during games, so on the offchance that a help format could be found to benefit those users as well.

Also what happened to the display of the best AI variation when I play out the moves? Now it’s just there for a second and then gone.

It’s way harder to use now. You removed the labels from most of the buttons in the interest of being “sleeker” but now it’s impossible to guess what most of them do so I have to mouse over them to figure it out. And lots of the functionality is hidden in menus now. Minimalism != good UX

1 Like

When Board label positioning is set to “None” (aka coordinates are disbaled), stones on the edge of the board are cut off:

Image: stones on the edge of the board with default settings, coordinates disabled.

Web browser: mobile Safari.

Suggested fix: Allow proper margin at the edge of the board according to stone size, so they are not cut off. Optionally leave some breathing room between the board edge and edge of the stones.

2 Likes

please give us back the moves navigation buttons directly below the board. I dont want to have to click into analyze mode to access those buttons. I use iphone safari

3 Likes

Have you refreshed recently, and if not can you post a screenshot? You should have the navigation buttons if there’s enough room to show the board and the pass/submit button and the navigation buttons without squishing things.

It would be great to have the buttons to move forward/backward moves in review a little larger please - they’ve got a lot smaller with the UI update and there’s a lot of unused space between them!

As some who used zen mode a lot it’s a bit annoying to have inside the drop down menu - something like disable chat or co-ordinate location wouldn’t be used as frequently as this (each person would have this set up for the one option), so it would be nice to have the option to keep zen mode separate from things which could be classified as settings.

2 Likes