Upcoming interface changes to the Game page and AI reviews

Hi @anoek It seems like the score estimator is bugged out. When I click score estimator after a game is over, it just displays the game result (B+resignation, W+14.5, etc) instead of the current score estimate.

image

people will click it thinking it means “zoom in”

Have any suggestions?

icon that makes no sense is better than misleading icon

2 Likes

What does it do?

Icon with text is better than bad icon. If there’s no space for text and no intuitive icon then perhaps the user interface needs redesigning so there is space.

1 Like

as for the navigation button.

best practice on mobile is a minimum size of 44x44.

can you add a min-width and min-height of that size ?

i analyze with devtools, and it falsely show a “ok” size, but the click size is juste about 22x22px

1 Like

image
when you hover cursor, it writes “Review this game”
and there is list of descriptions in …

Navigation buttons are back on mobile Safari for me. Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

There’s no hover cursor on mobile. But it’s good there is at least somewhere else where that icon and a text label exist together so you can learn what it means.

Maybe:

1 Like

for what it’s worth, on lichess a microscope icon is used to open a review/analysis board (isn’t it neat?)

image

my second best suggestion would be an icon similar to a “file copy” something like

image

my third-best suggestion would be a “REV” (for review) or if not enough space, just a capital “R”

2 Likes

All right I have played a few more games and done some reviews, and I have another minor suggestion, when I’m doing a review or in analysis mode I would like to have the chat and the move tree on the screen at the same time, and not have to scroll to see one or the other. I’m not exactly sure what the real-estate on the screen would look like but it wasn’t a problem on the old UI and now it is.

There have been several things like this where I can’t actually remember what the old layout was precisely, but I remember it not being a problem but now it is. So what actually were the concrete problems in the old layout that were identified that the new layout intended to fix?

I could see one possibly being:

  • on mobile, to access various commands like toggle coordinates or estimate score I need to scroll down from the board to find them as they don’t fit on a typical phone screen.

Hence their promotion to a floating bottom bar so they are always accessible.

Personally I don’t see that as much of a problem, if the things you have to scroll down past are more important and often used than them. Also it avoids mistaps on them.

Similar question is why did the player cards go full width and one above one below board? That wastes so much valuable vertical space, particularly with the 19x19 board (I note the initial new UI demo screenshots are 9x9, was the new UI designing primarily with small boards so the problems with full size not noticed until by users in production?!) Was there not enough space in them before? I thought there was. More space needed for this new ticking clock?

1 Like

no, I just remembered, conditional moves already has such icon.

In my iOS OGS client, I use a magnifying glass without a plus sign inside it. I believe that’s similar to what chess.com uses as well, and IMO without the + it does not read as “zoom”.

2 Likes

analyze mode, conditional moves and review are similar
user creates tree of moves
so maybe make almost same icon for all 3 of them?
With some kind of insignificant different details…

I wasn’t involved in the Game page update.

I went to use mobile for the first time in a while, and think the new form is awesome.

The board is rock-solid on my screen, and every function is accessible without scrolling.

I haven’t been able to read the whole of this thread, I only saw the complaints at the beginning.

Are people still not happy with the mobile view? What’s wrong with it?

Yup the moves navigation bar/buttons is back thanks

feedback (iphone safari)

  1. when i press the back button, it will open up analyze mode, but because the button is very close to the green annotation tool, there will be misclicks on the green annotation tool. Suggest to put the nav bar directly below the board like last time to avoid misclicks

  2. last time when we make a move on the board before submitting, and we click the forward button, it leads directly to analyze mode seamlessly, it is very convenient to test out the move. can u allow the same forward button to analyze mode shortcut? Thanks

1 Like

Why is the move comment field for reviews so narrow by default? Yes, I can drag it to be full-width, but it stills seems puzzling that it’s half empty space by default.

On a positive note, I also greatly appreciate that style setting changes can now be previewed in real time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I took it off and now the clock is back. Was the option removed?

Try refreshing the page?

The setting is still there:
Cog icon → More options → (scroll down) → Animate the turn clock

1 Like