Update of Game History Table

This bug made me realise how good it could be to use two lines per entry. On a phone it’s easy and natural to scroll down but not so much left/right.

You could put the result under the date and the game name under the opponent and the game speed and board size together and make me happy. I realise everyone else who’s not me will hate it but let me dream.

And while we’re at it, why is the table limited to 50? It’s really annoying on a phone and we phone users are used to infinite scroll…

2 Likes

ease server load, some people literally have thousands of games and trying to open their profile page would take ages which is a bad user experience

5 Likes

I’m not techy at all but would some kind of load-as-you-scroll system not be possible? I think clicking through pages and then being dumped back at the start if you look at a game on a page past the first one is not a great experience either.
Anyway, don’t mind me. Maybe such tables will always be essentially unusable on a phone.

1 Like

Load as you scroll is of course doable - not all that long ago ladder tables were change from paginated to load as you scroll.

It’s a fair bit of effort to convert though, it doesn’t seem warranted for the Game History table.

2 Likes

I think the best thing at the moment is to open the game(s) in question in a new tab(s), that way you stay where you are in the game history

5 Likes

It looks even worse in Chrome. The stone colour symbols are much larger in FF. In chrome they are much smaller and look like large bullet point markers. They are also small in Edge.

Interestingly, some players have their ranks beside the stone colour symbol rather than underneath, e.g. andrp, sinnass, in all three browsers.

Nope, the list for demo boards and reviews are below game history xD
But i’m all-in for any improvments to the tables, the current usage of space still looks really clumsy T___T

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 17.15.28

Load as you scroll could be implemented in such a way that the table is still contained to a fixed box.

If this gets implemented, I would like to see date range filters as well. Otherwise, not too easy to go back in time!

2 Likes

Re: the extra space, I like the way lichess does it https://lichess.org/@/DrNykterstein/all

Lots of space for information, doesn’t feel cramped at all, and you can use the ‘activity’ tab (default when you load a profile) to get a quick overview of how a player is doing.

It also includes tabs for wins, losses and rated only. Annulments could be filed under one of those.

3 Likes

That would be because they have no opponents with long names.

When the fix is deployed, it should look like that for all players: rank next to colour.

1 Like

we couldn’t do it like this unless we found a different place for reviews and demo boards to live…

Personally I really like the tabbed profile page @RubyMineshaft proposed on GitHub, but for some reason he closed the feature request :frowning:

3 Likes

One problem at the moment, we can see the ranks in the User column even when ratings are set to hidden.

6 Likes

I went here for the same reason :grin:

3 Likes

I like the changes that have been made. Please could the rank information in these game history tables be omitted for people who have chosen in the options to have ranks and ratings hidden?

8 Likes

Yeah good point, I’ll take a look at that.

5 Likes

This is fixed, also vertical alignment of the rank with the rest of the row.

If someo CSS guru could tell me how to vertically align the stone colour character I’d love it - darned if I can persuade that thing to line up.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it would make sense or be useful to display handicaps in game history?

That is one tiny extra columns with a number from 0 to 9+ (I think unrated games can have more than nine stones?).

I know a lot of people probably only play even games so it might not be that useful, but for people who do play handicap games it could be useful to show which ones had handicap and which didn’t?

4 Likes

Could the trophies be retained on annulled/cancelled games? It’s surely useful to see easily if someone with a few annulled games say due to timeouts was the one timing out our their opponent. At the moment all such games look like losses since the is no trophy. And to check you have to look at the game and struck out writing at the end and then cross refer to the faded grey stones to know if a player was responsible for the game ending in that way.

I think it would be better to show the trophy (greyed out of course!) Like for other games so you know who “won”…

1 Like

I’ve had the same thought myself - that I’d like to know if it was a handicap game.

1 Like

I like the idea of having possible handicaps shown in the table, thats often quite important regarding the actual game ^^

On another note, the different colours for pro / site supporter (on annulments) / aga offial are currently really hard for me to tell apart. Me, like almost 10% european males, have slight red-green colour-blindness, which makes it hard to identify those just by looking.

For reference
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 15.30.41 Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 15.24.27 Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 15.25.07 Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 15.25.54 Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 15.26.08