Useful Hints For Using This Forum

Resizing of pics is definitely a ‘Useful Hint For Using This Forum’ but it would be better if the file size reduced as well. Each of your versions is still 226kb.

Pictures which are needlessly large may not be seen by people with slow connections.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I don’t think the forum supports resizing of the originals, so I guess that would have to be done by the poster beforehand. However, it is nice to see that we can at least change the display size of an uploaded image.

2 Likes

How to…

5 Likes

@Kosh, yes, that’s how I resized the images in my earlier post. I included the code below each example. In fact, you can even see my code example in the background of your screenshot.

However, as you noted, that only changes the displayed size of the image, and it does not change the size of the file that is retrieved when you click on it, since that still fetches the original upload it seems.

2 Likes

The good news is that resizing the image does seem to produce a reduced size thumbnail that is downloaded when only just viewing the post. The original file is only downloaded if someone clicks on the image. That seems like reasonable behavior.

5 Likes

This is excellent news and you are showing off my ignorance. That’s what Go is for. :wink:

5 Likes

This post is a wiki, which allows everyone to view and play with the code.

Aligning, centering, justifying text

Discourse supports some basic HTML tags and CSS properties as mentioned above. Using the <div> tag and align property, you can change the text alignment.

Default (left aligned, ragged edge)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco labo ris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Centered

<div align="center">Lorem ipsum ... id est laborum.</div>

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Right aligned

<div align="right">Lorem ipsum ... id est laborum.</div>

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Justified

<div align="justify">Lorem ipsum ... id est laborum.</div>

Adding More Line Breaks

Line breaks can be used break up chunks of text.
One can simply start again on a new line after a line break.

Or leave an empty line by using two line breaks.

However, Discourse automatically collapses multiple empty lines into a single empty line.

But you can use the <br> tag to create multiple empty lines.

2 Likes

Polls can be set to automatically close on a specified time and date

When selecting the time, it takes the time via your local time zone (assuming that your browser knows it correctly from your OS being properly configured).

However, note that the time finally displayed on the poll is converted to the UTC time.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

You can write with larger font and justified paragraphs like this …

By just putting <big><div align="justify"> at the beginning of your post. You don’t have to bother closing the tags either.

Let’s see how headers look?

First Level Header

Wow! It’s huge!

Second Level

Third Level

Fourth Level

This bold paragraph text looks almost the same as the fourth level header, except it does not have the same top margin above it.

The other header levels become smaller than paragraph text.

Fifth Level
Sixth Level

There is no seventh level

Back to normal sized paragraph text since I closed <div> and <big> tags (thanks to @flovo for fixing my bug)

You can make text really small like this with the <small> tag

and super-small with a sixth-level heading inside of small mode

:pig2:

3 Likes

Did you do <big></big>?
Big Normal

2 Likes

You have to close the inner </div> first.

Btw.: I added it to your post.

3 Likes

Aaaah, thanks a lot, @yebellz, I’ve SO often wished for a way to add some fine print.

2 Likes

<small> tags can also be nested to make text even smaller, without having to resort to using the headings.

<small>First level small</small>
First level small

<small><small>Second level small</small></small>
Second level small

<small><small><small>Third level small</small></small></small>
Third level small

<small><small><small><small>Fourth level small</small></small></small></small>
Fourth level small

<small><small><small><small><small>Fifth level small</small></small></small></small></small>
Fifth level small

<small><small><small><small><small><small>Sixth level small</small></small></small></small></small></small>
Sixth level small

There does not appear to be a limit to the nesting, except that eventually the text essentially vanishes.

THIRTEEN LEVELS OF SMALL :arrow_left: this can still be selected and quoted if you want to see what it says

Unfortunately, nesting <big> tags does not seem to work

<big>Big</big>
Big

<big><big>Bigger?</big></big>
Bigger?

5 Likes

For anyone wondering why it doesn’t get smaller after 3rd or 4th level of <small>, like for me:

Check your browser prefs … I had wondered for a second, then remembered that I have set my browser (Chrome) to not go smaller than 9pt:

When I turn that off, then yes, very tiny :laughing:

(you need to click, the forum software cropped the preview)

6 Likes

You can create a bookmark to any post (hidden under the menu expanded by the three dots) or an entire thread (see the bookmark button at the bottom).

Bookmarks were just upgraded recently to add the options for an automatic reminder and/or automatic unbookmarking (upon various selectable conditions). Try bookmarking something to check it out.

8 Likes

Useful for new Discourse users (Discourse is the forum software we’re using here):

6 Likes

1. Quote the content in a directly reply

2. Copy the generated post code

3. Open another thread and post reply with the pasted code

8 Likes

There’s another more confusing way!

1. Start your reply as usual

2. Navigate to the place you want to quote from

3. Select the text and click “quote”

4. Double-check that you didn’t confuse yourself

8 Likes

So, uh, is there no way to have indentation in the first line of a paragraph?
<div text-indent=whatever> doesn’t work, and I can’t think of other ways.

When I write a long message, I find that even breaking things up into paragraphs doesn’t help enough.

Click to see example

As long as it’s, say, four or less paragraphs it’s fine, but I think it would be much easier on the eyes if there was a space at the beginning of (some?) paragraphs, like it’s often done traditionally.

And randomly changing the text formatting (like I did with bold text in the example) does make it easier on the eyes to parse, but it feels out of place most of the times.

Is there a way to do it?

(and in case somebody comes in saying “just write spaces”, I’ve tried, it doesn’t work :laughing:)

No indentation

Indentation

More indentation

Just use HTML code

&nbsp;
3 Likes