Weiqi documentary

This documentary about Chinese Weiqi was interesting: Weiqi Wonders: Conversations about the Game of Go in China. - YouTube

Although I wonder to what degree the statements about Korean Baduk and Japanese Go correspond to reality or merely reflect Chinese prejudice. Several people in the documentary seem to think that Korean Baduk is much more aggressive and that Korean players are not bound by any tradition since they only care about wining. Japanese Go players are said to be very conservative and traditional; they will not make the best move if it result in a bad shape and they will try to defend their master’s tradition of playing Go. Finally, Chinese Weiqi is described as something between Japanese Go and Korean Baduk – not so conservative as Japanese Go but not so aggressive as Korean Baduk.

5 Likes

That’s a quite detailed approach of the game i would recommend too. Thanks for sharing.

From my own experience there are quite visible differences how people from different countries play the game, but that’s more a thing in the intermediate levels (sdks) as higher levels, where everyone play finally some same weiqi. And even if it comes as a conclusion, that’s a small part of this long documentary.
Beyond the difference traditional/practical, i’d like to mention the team studies that korean players put in place to defeat the japanese fuseki from early 90’s and the lack of interest from japanese players in competing overseas.
Last thing is that AI is not included in this video, maybe it was made before, but in any case it should be added now for how AI has interfered with these cultural practices.

2 Likes

I have noticed from Korean series (lately The Glory on Netflix and partially also 12 Week Miracle on Baduk TV) that Korean casual players seem to like to gamble on Baduk and make bets. I have only noticed that in passing in Chinese series (e.g., the Chinese live-action adaptation of Hikaru no Go where there was gambling on Weiqi in an episode) but in this documentary nobody talks about making bets on weiqi games. Is the gambling on Baduk much more common in Korea than in China and Japan?

I can’t compare between both countries. And China is huge, and with differences between provinces.
In Sichuan (Chengdu) most games are played with a bet between both players (a fee euros at stake). It would be a bit hard to live on these, and strong players will still prefer cards or mahjong to earn money quicker. When i played on the eastcoast, and in guangxi province (south) it seems there were no bet at all.

2 Likes