Weird Openings

Openings are so dead right now like it’s all AI like no creativity.
Like literally nothing interesting ever happens now. Every time I play I can’t help thinking why I’m playing Go/baduk. It’s so f*cking boring and I sometimes just resign when I encounter the newest openings. What’s the point? It’s like art. Openings are like paintings. What everyone does is just copying art. No one buys copied Mona Lisas.
Post weird openings here and triumph against AI geeks.

Join if you want

3 Likes
2 Likes

Good quote. I suck at Chess960 cuz I don’t study any of the positions

1 Like

May i present, my old trademark fuseki

7 Likes

The thing is you get to pick half of the opening. Even if your opponent picks a 2 space high enclosure or does an early 3-3, they only pick half the moves, half the variations.

You can probably very easily break into an unknown opening, just tenuki, just play 3-3, 3-5, 5-4, approach a corner on the second move, play tengen, do mirror go, play a black hole opening… there’s nothing limiting creativity unless you cooperate with some plan or study that both you and the opponent have looked at :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@shinuito already posted Sideseki, so the only thing I want to add is that I’ve found out that playing Go against people from a totally different place/style (e.g. Japan) tends to generate a totally different opening, since they seem to have a different approach to the game or to the “new openings” (I’ve marginally checked a couple of them myself, I am not much into AI stuff).

Here are three examples, where I was quite pleasantly surprised and didn’t really know what to do (lost all the first games we played btw, it took me a while to adjust to his style. We are currently at 34W-35L between us):

Opponent is always Black.
Game 1:

Game 2:

Game 3:

Game 4:

Very refreshing and fun, as you can see :slight_smile: … I highly recommend joining a tournament organised by Japanese people, like this: 第5期かおり杯名人戦初中級リーグ(~3k)

2 Likes

Throughout history, players have been on the swing of following the “mainstream” dogma, with some brief periods of breaking the mold and revival from time to time. For thousands of years, fixed stone opening is the norm, or even the rule, where different regions have different number of them and how to place them, and we eventually break from them in the Edo period Japan.

And then after hundreds of years, the starting with komoku (3-4) and a series of fuseki where players who don’t play 3-4 opening would be unthinkable and games from that period showed they repeated several identical opening fuseki based on the idea, and continue till the 19th century.

At the end of 19th century, players start to experiment more as the traditional houses no long have the power to restrict how they rank players, and finally after decades we have shin fuseki flourished in the early 20th century, and then we keep experiment till the 80s mostly and different styles or schools in different regions start to settle again, and reach a pretty high level in the early 21st century, where some openings were considered obsolete and if not for AlphaGo, the pros now might repeat the pattern like they did in the past, where Asia pros stagnated and what they considered good fuseki will be the mainstream now, and players across the world likely start to copy them (since without AlphaGo, the popularity of Go might not spread that far, and resources will still be limited to East Asia sources and pros)

Luckily, we have Go AIs that add more possible openings and even give evaluation value to them, but still not good at judging human capabilities and our grasping the openings (some opening with even 20/80 split, still playable even solid in human pros’ eyes and almost certainly balanced for the rest of amateur players). So in a sense the breaking the mold happened at the time it was supposed to solidify might be the cause of players to remember the good old days. But in reality if an opening is good and useful (even the cross fixed stone placement that can prevent mirror go strategy are useful), and old solid opening fuseki still used and balanced in AI’s perspective as well (like no different that tens of a percent different). Just as pros are still “exploring” these AI openings more in their games, doesn’t mean the solid and good ones which stand the test of time are not there. They accumulated and stay in the collective knowledge. Only that pros like to start with fuseki which they think the opponent might not know some variations or positions following them and will be in their favor, so they pick these new AI fuseki as their tactics, and they will start to explore more and more, it is in their nature (as many younger pros start to show their different tendency in openings and for the most part workable and balanced new openings)

I would expect that when the generation who started with AI dogma into the mainstream, there will be truly new explorations for even more variations when they already have sufficient deposits of all kinds of fuskeis in our collective knowledge base.

3 Likes

A lot of openings are not used because they are not effective.
I suggest new rule to fix it:
1st move (black): player1 chooses any coordinate to place stone
2nd move (white): player2 have to mirror stone of 1st move
3rd move (white) player2 chooses any coordinate to place stone
4th move (black): player1 have to mirror stone of 3rd move
so starting position become equal no matter what coordinates are used
then continuation is standard order: 5th move black, 6th move white, 7th move black, 8th move white …
if black plays tengen first, then black would mirror what white plays on 2nd move…

2 Likes

Go is a 2-player game. There’s still plenty of opportunity to play unusual moves that aren’t much of a loss if you want to mix things up. Playing Matthew Macfadyen 6d for example, I’m always impressed how he can quickly get the game into uncharted territory with unusual but not obviously bad moves.

7 Likes

It takes two to play an unusual opening.

At least, after the 3rd or 4th of your move (not total), you will have to answer the unusual moves from the opponents. (Because the first 2 of the opponent’s move they can only have 2 close to the corner, and you ignore them and play normal, and if you choose to defend, or the opponent don’t approach, you can still play normal the 3rd move, and even the 4th to enclose two corners, but after that even if the opponents are nowhere near you, you will have to play somewhere else, which will definitely go out of the normal opening (and if the opponent all giving up the corners, you will be effectively like playing handicap games. which will also not like normal opening at all)

1 Like

No it doesn’t.

6 Likes

if opponent is lower ranked, you can just start playing anything without worrying. It’s more fun than giving standard handicap.

2 Likes

Handicap just attack two adjacent sides and just win the side

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

This one needs a lot more understanding :rofl:

5 Likes

What do you mean? Next black tengen, easy win!

5 Likes

it needs 8 ranks difference or reverse komi 80

1 Like