Welcoming beginners and OGS rating system (A compendium)

I mean that was one of the reddit solutions…

I don’t think that’s a solution even, it’s just saying that you might avoid this when you move upward.

There are threads of discussions about avoiding [?] players

and I agree with the sentiment of

Whether we should have a button that allows you to turn off match ups against [?] ranked players I don’t know. It might be better for the people that just get their games cancelled, and for the people cancelling the games. However what if a large fraction of people around the entry point turn this setting on and new players just can’t really get games because no established players want to play them?

The thing is though, there’s not guarantee at all that anyone knows how to set their own rank correctly.

Realistically people will either choose some rank they have on another sever, maybe they’ll pick 5d from a fox rating, or 10kyu from a pandanet rating which probably won’t correspond well to OGS ranks, or, and I imagine more likely, they’ll tend to underpick their actual rating - The logic being that you don’t know exactly what your rating is on this server compared to another, and if you underestimate you’ll get some easier games and rank up, while if you overestimate it might not be a whole lot of fun on the journey down.

1 Like