Werewolf Game 1

I hate the idea of playing mafia in real life. That’s why I only watched it. I’m terrible at lying and seeing lies. Even in a forum game my heart was pumping way too hard.

4 Likes

Not to worry Kaos, you played your part with conviction and made things interesting for the reason outlined by Gia.

One thing I’ve been wondering that only you can answer (and I admit it’s a real stretch) is this: was I finally just too much of a smartass for my own good? I know it was getting very late in the day, but did that pina colada remark for instance seal my fate? Was there a previous attempt at humour that might have subconsciously put you off of me? As I say, its’ a bit far-fetched, but I’m exploring all possibilities, even remote ones.

I don’t think I could play the game without humour, but even humour can have negative consequences. And jesters can be sinister sometimes.

2 Likes

Absolutely irrelevant, but has anyone read Alan Gordon, the books with Feste? Since I read them the word jester inescapably reminds me of Feste.

Sorry for the interruption.

You’re not alone, if I didn’t know better, I felt Gia was somehow very suspicious. I even contemplated whether Gia was a real werewolf, and if it would be better for me to claim Gia was the lunatic on a potential third day.

I certainly feel guilty for what I did to fiddlehead and you :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It was all my fault anyhow :smiley: :smiley:

I messed up early - I started thinking to protect myself by appearing to be the lunatic.

However, then I realised that this was entirely stupid, because the goal is not to survive but to have the villagers survive. But by that time it was too late, I had no way of recovering. I did say that I made a mistake and apologised, but it was hard to convey what kind of mistake I was apologising for, at that time.

5 Likes

Well, I was convinced you were the lunatic, but the first one to die by the werewolves is just bad luck. :woman_shrugging::yum:

3 Likes

It was still well played, though admittedly not the best long range move. Don’t worry, there was no shortage of brain farts in this game. I got off a good one myself on day one when I came out early for executing somebody----anybody. That was impulsive of me and didn’t display me in a very good light. My backtracking didn’t necessarily help.

2 Likes

Some final thoughts about the game.

As much as we enjoyed it, I get the sense that we were all relieved when it was over. Looking back over the postgame comments, you don’t have to read very far to find plenty of phrases that suggest as much. I think it’s fair to say that the players’ level of commitment here was high, probably the best we could have hoped for and maybe more.

I see that some of you have been expressing feelings of guilt or embarrassment even though it’s only a game. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing that phenomenon. Obviously I have no regrets about what I voted or didn’t vote for, but I do feel bad about things I said. Even my taunting of the werewolves near the end left me with the vaguest sense of guilt. Maybe the lack of visual and vocal information amplifies this effect. I don’t know.

I’ve been thinking about actors and their reputation for eccentricity. I wonder, do the eccentric ones enter their chosen field as established eccentrics, or are they made so through repeated exposure to alternate realities that they must then compartmentalise as though they never happened. I suspect that the emotional decompression is easier said than done for some of them.

I would say to newcomers, don’t assume that this will be a very lighthearted parlour game. The back and forth between players can get fairly intense. True, it’s as intense as you allow it to be. But don’t be surprised if you find yourself getting caught up in that flow and carried off.

A game that tests your ability to process information. A game that presents multiple scenarios as possibilities and requires you to sift through them to determine which is most realistic, using logic and perhaps some intuition, though probably not in equal measure. A game that produces exasperating barriers that you never see coming. A game that’s typically won or lost not so much through any special insight, but from an accumulation of mistakes that don’t feel that way at the time. Finally, a game that pulls you in and holds you there irresistibly. Does all this remind you of any other game we know?

3 Likes

I think we have a thread about people who can write engaging pieces about Go somewhere. Just sayin’.

1 Like

I don’t feel guilty about what I said, because I totally assume we all totally understand it was acting.

I hope everyone knows it was acting!

I do feel genuinely sorry for letting my team down with a bad start.

3 Likes

That’s a really good question, because you’ve made me rethink how I made my decisions!
Actually, I think I was simply too early convinced by what Vsotvep and Ruby said (they were just playing really well!), and on day 1, I was also pretty sure that Gia was innocent (what I didn’t believe anymore on day 2, as you know…), and I guess I just assumed all others must be werewolves / the lunatic, so I somehow I had already put everyone into a box by day 2.
At the beginning of day 2, I tried to form a new opinion by rereading everything. Only now I realize that I was not truely open to reevaluating my thoughts about everyone. You never wrote anything actually suspicious, but I thought you did, because I had seen everything you wrote through some kind of negative filter from day 1.
I guess I’ve just learned something important for the next round…

2 Likes

Some people once told me they discourage couples from playing werewolves with them, because it might drive them apart when one of them realizes that the other one is a very good liar.

5 Likes

Don’t worry, it was not a very large amount of guilt that I felt to begin with, and it all vanished as soon as the game ended and the post-game discussion started. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve played it quite a bit, both offline and online, as I mentioned in the other thread.

Have any of you played other games that heavily involve social interaction, manipulation and deception? For example, the board game Diplomacy. I would not consider games like Monopoly or Settlers of Catan to fall in this category.

KAOS and Gia voted against fiddlehead so quickly I’d have thought they’re werewolves if I didn’t know who is who.

@yebellz only chess and go, only hardcore.

1 Like