What Are Your Favourite Childhood Video Games?

3 Likes

Oh wow I’ve been playing a lot of BTD6 lately. I forget that’s what the original looked like. Great memories of the flash game era: heli attack and insaniquarium come to mind…

Has anyone mentioned DK64? I know people have mixed feelings on the collect-a-thon genre, but I started playing it again last year and it mostly held up to my memory of it. Almost finished it too, but life got busy just as I got to the final level :weary:

1 Like

I’m actually re-playing both GTA5 and SKYRIM right now, after getting a new gaming pc a few weeks ago

3 Likes

As others, computers were not born in my childhood.
As student I was lucky to own an oric1 with 48k of memory. I had my first game on it (centipede) which took like 5mn to install (from a K7).

Then I played a racing game on a kind of LAN at the uni at night that was awesome.

Well later came baldur and others, but that’s other stories…

3 Likes
5 Likes

Again, not childhood—of course there are people who say I’m still one … and yes, I do try to be kind to my inner child … keeping it alive was hard enough … and helping others revive theirs wherever I can :slight_smile:

Anyone remember Platypus?
There’s no timeline yet, but the original creator got the rights back … and there may be something in an indefinite future.
(Anyone interested in joining their dev Discord — “Claymatic and Friends” just click that link. Some other games there also, IMHO most notably Eufloria stuff, I can’t wait for the Eufloria RPG’s next beta).

1 Like

I do try to be kind to my inner child

Good job we have the secret Mog-posting

loderunner on an Apple 2

And I am so old that when I was a kid, the only thing we had was watching the paintings on the cave walls how they seemed to be moving in the firelight.
:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

:laughing:

Just last night, I wanted to write something about the NOT-video but visual “games” we used to play as kids, but it got too late again … lemme do it now:

Star Cinema and Cloud Cinema

I was born in Germany in 1957, spent my childhood from 1961 to ’67 (4–10) in a rural area in Kerala, South India, as child of parents who worked for medical development aid. My sister was (and thankfully still is!) three and a half years younger than me.

Every full moon night (and often in between also), if weather allowed, our parents had a ritual with us children before we were put to bed: STAR CINEMA!

We took a few blankets outside, lay down on them, looked into the very dark sky (no light pollution whatsoever there at the time!) and all its stars … so many stars … and our parents showed us the constellations they knew about, and sometimes the planets, if visible, and if they knew background about the naming of those constellations, they told us that also. I fondly remember Crux, the Southern Cross, which is visible only from the tropical latitudes of the Northern hemisphere and from the Southern hemisphere. I hope that some day I will see it again …

Shooting stars every once in a while (every time we did this we caught one or two AT LEAST!), and making wishes.

And then our father told us impromptu, a “science fiction/fantasy” story about how he, when he was a child, living in the city of Bremen, sneaked out of his bed at night, boarded the “Cloud Ship” that waited at his window, then fetched his friend Hein in the city of Hamburg, and then they explored other worlds together, sometimes after visiting Dr. Kleinermacher (Dr. Smallmaker) to get some pills that could dramatically change their size (and you can imagine the drama when they sometimes lost the pills for the reverse transformation!) … those were the “Mondgeschichten”, the “Moon Stories”.
Sadly, we never recorded them, and I remember only very little, but I know they had a huge impact on my vision of the world, and I clearly “inherited” my father’s burning love for science and science-fiction.

And then there was CLOUD CINEMA:
Every once in a while, when there were nice clouds in the sky, we did something similar during daytime … showed each other the wondrous things we saw in the clouds … whole new worlds sprang into existence!
I remember that my mother often “saw” things that she also saw through the microscope in her laboratory, mostly different blood cells, bacteria, and certain crystals that can be in urine. And my father sometimes saw body parts in the cloud—and talked about them, to my mother’s chagrin—that he had had to remove surgically from people’s bodies the day before.

Amazing, what experiences a life can hold … and now you know what my favourite childhood video games were :slight_smile:

And this here:

That’s a nice picture image

But I have no idea what the “secret Mog-posting” is.

8 Likes

Dunno why its doing this, but click on the dot.

3 Likes

Great story, trohde! When I was a young kid, we could still see the Milky Way in the night sky of the Washington, DC area—hard to believe when today you can barely see any stars at all. During my time camping out in the Western deserts some years ago, I was up nearly all of my first night, so happy to see a proper night sky again. And “cloud cinema,” yes, on a lazy summer day some friends and I would sometimes lie in the grass and imagine all sorts of things in the clouds…

5 Likes

Repaired it for you, @Kaworu_Nagisa.
No idea what the reason was … I re-saved it and tried, but to no avail. Then I opened in macOS Preview.app and just copied it and pasted here, this worked.

2 Likes

Thanks for your story! :heart:
Now I have Fernweh. :flushed:

2 Likes

Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country series, in retrospective I’m not sure I really like those games, even though many were addicted to this kind of repetitive gameplay.

5 Likes

Resident evil 2&3, Resident evil remake (2002), Resident Evil CVX, Resident evil Outbreak, Silent hill2, Siren, Fatal frame, Amnesia, Romance of three kingdom VII, VIiI, XI, Some Dynasty Warriors game, The sims 2, GTA San andreas, Bully, Harvest moon BTN, Harvest moon Awl, harvest moon save the homeland, Pokemon (Fire red/Emerald), Gyakuten Saiban(ace attorney), DBGT Final bout, DBZ budokai tenkaichi 2, Winning Eleven games, Super shot soccer, Road Rash, Vigilante8 2nd offense, and some others VNs i played during midschool and highschool. Won’t named it because some people don’t consider them as game even though Ace attorney is one of them :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too. PC cost me an arm and a leg. How happy I was with my 20MB hard disk, 8088 processor, two disk drives (floppy disks) and more.

Yeah, Prince of Persia was cool (or chill as they say today).
After weeks of training I was able to finish the 12 levels within the hour (but no one was willing to believe that).
Totally wore out my keyboard :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Far off the world record these days :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, that is hardly fair if you show up with someone who is really clever :crazy_face: .

4 Likes

I knew it’d only be a matter of time before EazySpeezy ran it:

1 Like