What is your goal for playing level in Go?

Oh, thank you! (and thanks also to @jlt ).
The fact that I can beat 6 dan players sometimes (mainly in blitz games) doesn’t rule out ddks beating me though :sweat_smile:

I was referring more to irl games. Online I feel less intimidated by the strength of the opponent usually, being able to distract myself (not in blitz games, but in those I might not have time to worry XD) probably helps a lot.
I’ve beaten some dan players in irl tournaments too, but it happens less often because I don’t manage give my best (or at least, this is what I perceive). I also lost against a 4k recently in a rated game.
Maybe I should aim to be a little more constant.

2 Likes

For the moment I’d like to get to 5k on OGS. I like going a step at a time.

1 Like

That could be high (with talent still) like 2-3d my guess. But saying you don’t study, read books is a bit of a shortcut as ok you don’t but others do it for you :wink:

My initial goal was to be SDK. Now I guess it would be to reach 5k. I’m a bit skeptical as to my ability to reach higher.

Although I gave 6d as my goal, that doesn’t mean I’m not content with my current level, or actively working towards reaching that goal. It’s probably inspired by Matthew Macfadyen 6d and 25-time British champion, who wrote the book I first learnt go from. Back then a 6d European champion seemed like a far off mystical figure so it was cool to meet him in real life (he’s a nice chap) some years later, play some games against him, get closer to his level and eventually win a few games. So that’s why its 6d not 7d.

smurph’s “I’d like to understand pro moves” is a good point: a lot of my enjoyment of go now comes not from playing but being a fan and watching pro/bot games and the new ideas from AI. Being 4d I can’t claim to understand what’s going on fully, but it’s enough to appreciate and enjoy it (and these days with bots you can get even closer exploring with their help). I don’t think I’d have enjoyed nor appreciated AlphaGo’s victory over Lee Sedol as much if I was 10 kyu, but also a 10k will appreciate it more than a 30k.

4 Likes

I started playing around 15 years ago and never went anywhere really. My main game was Chess. I went back to that, but when my USCF rating slid back to what it was when I first began the game, I quit. Here now, with Go, I’m probably ranked between 27-24kyu now. My first - hopefully modest - goal will be to attain 20kyu here on OGS. Then we’ll see what happens from there.

“Small steps, Elle…” -Contact

4 Likes

Really to get past 20k, you really just have to know some basics about shape and life and death.

I don’t doutbt that @Archbob , but that will be my goal. I’m having a bit of a problem with seeing eyes and with close fighting. People seem to be able to chip away at territory I have built and that’s how I lose a lot of games. I’m currently trying to go through Janice KIM’s “Learn to Play Go” series. We’ll see how that helps.

3 Likes

I discovered Go in May of 2017, and almost immediately wished I had discovered it earlier in life. Over the next 6 months I quickly grew to more or less my current strength of OGS 7k then unfortunately life circumstances changed shortly after that and I have not since had the time or energy to devote to study and improvement. I would like to one day reach dan level, and maybe if I’m lucky be able to see how much higher above that I can push, but at this stage it’s looking like such an endeavour is at least a decade away. Who knows, maybe life will surprise me and the opportunity will come sooner. We’ll see.

5 Likes

Feel free to ask questions and ask for reviews on the forums too. There’s usually someone around that’s happy to help :slight_smile:

EGF 2k since I want to play above the Swiss bar, and that’s usually where it is in English tournaments.

Once I reach 2k I’ll no doubt want to get to shodan, but I don’t see the point in claiming to try for dan if I can’t even reach my step goal~

3 Likes

Did you mean the Mac Mahon bar?

You can’t get absinthe at the McMahon bar.

4 Likes

I am pretty young at the game of go having just started several wks ago, and I’m relatively old in the game of life being 70. My goal for the moment is just to understand more and have enjoyable games. As a retired woodworker i want to make a nice board and hopefully play locally with the odd freind or two.

17 Likes

My goal is to be stronger than my friends I play with regularly IRL. The strongest two are both 3k OGS, so 2k should do it. I am currently 6k, so that feels doable with a bit of work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Although, according to this:

amateur 5d or 6d is “not hard”, so maybe that is a better target? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s his opinion, not mine. Amateur 5d is really hard. Ama 6d even (much) more.
Anyway, having the goal to beat your friends is a good reasonable goal to aim at, you can rethink then a new objective.

2 Likes

It’s a Chinese guide. The author might have meant Fox 5d, which is like EGF shodan.

Well, I don’t know anything about the strength of the Chinese IRL ranks.

1 Like

It’s hard everywhere. In chinese ama world, 6d is especially difficult and for a very very few.
On Fox we know that 5d is not what we expect it to be ofc. Maybe he’s refering to fox ratings.

I just want to underline that 5d is not any easy goal and that 6d is even much harder. Saying 5 or 6d is already a proof a lack of seriousness from the author.

Take any western countries, check ratio of dan in the players population, and then 5-6d in the dan pop.

1 Like

There is no (active) 6d in our UK pop (apart from Chinese students, maybe)