Which languages do you speak?

I can think of one, but not sure if you are asking for an answer or not, and also not sure if the spoiler tag works here

2 Likes

And we only pronounce the consonant?

Itā€™s just a riddle, so feel free to post an answer. I was planning to post the answer if no one got it after a few days. Here is how you add a spoiler

This post is a wiki, you can edit it to see the code.

Spoiler Title

This text will be hidden

You can also insert this by clicking on the gear icon and selecting ā€œHide Detailsā€

2 Likes

Queue?

6 Likes

thatā€™s the exact one I was thinking

Thank you.

2 Likes

Nice, a thread to brag about my favourite thingā€¦

I am a native Swiss German speaker; I can write and converse quite well in French, English and Rumantsch, the 4th national language; I can follow a conversation in Italian but my Rumantsch gets in the way there; I can read Spanish and probably most other Romance languages except for Romanian. I have a good grasp of Serbobosnocroatomontenegrine via my girlfriendā€™s family and by extension some very basic common Slavic vocabulary. I study Latin and Ancient Greek to become a teacher; my Master thesis is about a Latin renaissance translation of Homerā€™s Odyssey. I guess I can read a modern Greek newspaper and understand most of it. I know some words and phrases in Scottish Gaelic and Irish, Georgian and Sanskrit. I can read hiragana and katakana and a handful of kanji and know a few words in japanese. Also, some Hangul, but I donā€™t know any Korean words. I also can read Arabic and Hebrew letters, but wonā€™t understand it, except a word or two here and there. Oh, and I recently learnt a bit of Coptic (late Egyptian written with Greek letters) and now Iā€™m learning some hieroglyphs. I also understand other Germanic languages and historical language stages such as Dutch or Platt or Scandinavian or Middle High German. to an extent, but only when I read it. I know how to say ā€˜good dayā€™ in Khoekhoegowab.

Did I mention Quenya? I know some very basic Quenya, too.

10 Likes

Now, BoJo knowing Greek quite surprises me. At us, itā€™s only geeks and bookworms who learn Classics, sometimes theologians. The elite and politicians even seem to see it as ā€˜uselessā€™ because it neither produces cheese and watches, nor can it be used to stay out of the EU. If one of our politicians were heard reciting Greek, the general public will probably think itā€™s Chinese.

5 Likes

I feel like youā€™re the main game character and Iā€™m an NPC. Iā€™m jealous :cry:.

1 Like

Obligatory poll:

How many languages can you claim a relationship with? (from drinks once in a while to first text when you wake up)

• Only my native language
  • 3-5
  • 6-9
  • 10-12
  • Iā€™m a super secret spy who retired as a university professor
  • Iā€™m a linguist

0 voters

3 Likes

I think someone voted as I was editing, sorry, please vote again. :flushed:

Feel like this is too loose of a termā€¦ Iā€™m ā€œacquaintedā€ with most of the main languages on Earthā€¦ so even 12 is probably low balling itā€¦

1 Like

@BHydden better? :yum:

2 Likes

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oh my :blush:

well that makes it harderā€¦

3 Likes

Donā€™t be, mate. Growing up in Switzerland is playing in easy mode. Iā€™m impressed by Americans or Brits or Japanese who actually went out of their monoculture to learn two other languages.

4 Likes

Native Spanish speaker. Fluent in English. Learning Russian (should be somewhere between A1 and A2 level).

ŠÆ Š¶ŠµŠ»Š°ŃŽ уŠ“Š°Ń‡Šø Š²ŃŠµŠ¼, с Š²Š°ŃˆŠøŠ¼Šø ŠøŠ½Š¾ŃŃ‚Ń€Š°Š½Š½Ń‹Š¼Šø яŠ·Ń‹ŠŗŠ°Š¼Šø!

2 Likes

Let me add another poll just to select strictly the main target language aimed by everyone. Except for your mother tongue and English (that I suppose is well known by anyone here), which is the next target language you would like to learn at conversational or fluent level? Only one target please andā€¦ no matter if you are already fluent in other non-native languages. I am interested in the next language you would like to concentrate on.

• Ancient Greek
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Dutch
  • French
  • German
  • Greek
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Latin
  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Polish
  • Other
  • None

0 voters

4 Likes

English and Esperanto!

Iā€™m still an Esperanto student, not quite conversant yet, but I keep composing in my head a lecture about Go that I want to give at an Esperanto gathering (in Esperanto, obviously). The community supposedly has a long-standing tradition with Chess, and I want to add to it. :slight_smile: I actually keep OGS in Esperantoā€¦ which has sometimes meant that I made a game with nonsensical settings because I mis-understood a word.

If I can ever get conversant in Esperanto, German is my next pick.

5 Likes

So anyone wants to set up Japanese club here? We would read go materials such as news, commentated games and so on.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know why youā€™re surprised. Boris Johnson studied Classics at Oxford, which is arguably the best education in the subject that can be had anywhere in the world. David Cameron had a similar education and you would be mistaken to assume that he wasnā€™t also well versed in Greek and Latin.

The majority of our Members of Parliament, in fact, are educated either at private schools or grammar schools, and I would expect that almost all of them studied Latin to some level. Furthermore, Boris is well known as a classicist: he represented Ancient Greece against the Roman Empire in a TV debate against Mary Beard. I disagree with both your assessment of our politicians and of our public (which reads, with your comment on the EU, like a rather bitter character attackā€¦)

@bugcat I think youā€™ve misunderstood. @Sanonius was talking about the situation in Switzerland and not at all making an assessment of UK politicians or public.
And I think things that are well known about Boris in the UK address not that likely to be in the rest of the world. I suspect only the buffoon aspect of Borisā€™s persona is really seen elsewhere.
I certainly know nothing about the education of other countriesā€™ leaders.

5 Likes