Which languages do you speak?

Ah, sorry, I was referring to the politicians in my country, Switzerland, not yours. They’ve got no idea about classics, and I wasn’t aware at all that classics are so important in British elite education.

Edit: @teapoweredrobot thank you, too. I replied to bugcat before I saw your comment.

5 Likes

I came across this strip again, and thought posting it here. It has nice example of finnish suffixes.

4 Likes

Now I want to learn Finnish.

So, there a word for “I wonder if I should invade here aimlessly?”

4 Likes

Hyökkäilisinköhän?

5 Likes

My Go playing style in one word. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Native Czech speaker. I can read and little it write and speak in English. I also know few words in German, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Quenya and Japanese.

3 Likes

No, that was my fault. I misunderstood your comment, sorry.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This language it truly alien :slight_smile:
Malayalam

3 Likes

Truly not it-alien. :wink:

2 Likes

This is a great idea, but probably it will turn immediately in a group for Japanese study rather than Go study as actually happen to me when I try to translate Japanese Go books.

The time spent trying to solve the proposed Go problem is for me a fraction of the total time spent looking for unknown kanji on the dictionary.

2 Likes

What surprising results in the poll.

No one aiming to learn Chinese is a surprise for me. Also only one who want to learn Korean. In a Go lovers community they should be in some way “preferred languages” together with Japanese.

And finally a lot of Others… I’m really curious which language they are. One, I understood, is Esperanto, but what about the others?

2 Likes

Because anime is the real reason ツ

4 Likes

I am a native English speaker, fluent in Spanish with a permanent English accent. I know a bit of Portuguese and French - both at rusty intermediate level. I also know a few words of German and Bulgarian. I recently learned to read “black”, “white” and “to play” in Chinese from 101weiqi.com :slightly_smiling_face:.

7 Likes

English
Spanish
American Sign Language (even though the thread asks what languages do you SPEAK) :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Genuinely asking: what would be a better verb to include ASL?

1 Like

Which languages are you fluent in / learning?

1 Like

Fluent is too advanced compared to what I had in mind, and learning doesn’t apply to our native language/es here. I also want to include languages we picked up and then didn’t keep learning (as most of us have posted).

2 Likes

“understand”?

1 Like

Eh, it leaves out the communication element. Also, written or spoken.

I think (please native English speakers correct me), that we use the verb speak (as in other languages) for languages, with the understanding that it doesn’t exactly mean strictly verbal communication. I don’t know another verb to be inclusive and mean the same thing.

1 Like