White wins by disconnection

Am curious about this - white wins by disconnection, but B had played the only move. Why the white win?

1 Like

Yeah, I disagree with this decision, but the disconnection timer will auto resign you even if it’s not your turn.

I’m assuming black went to another part of the site waiting for the notification that his opponent had moved, and when this took more than 5 mins he was auto resigned as disconnected.

I don’t believe it should be possible to lose by disconnection if it’s not your turn, but others felt differently.

FWIW, since white didn’t move, the game should be annulled anyway.

2 Likes

That makes sense - I was chatting on another game waiting for a white move. As long as annuls it’s fine - at first I hadn’t realised annulled as it said white won rather than cancelled… But presumably this could happen in a longer live game, in which case I’ll be careful to avoid it!

1 Like

As frustrating as it might be, I must advise at this time to always keep the game tab open, especially after both players have made a move.

Thanks for understanding.

2 Likes

no worries at all :slight_smile:

Just wanted to understand what was happening, but the timeout on an inactive tab presumably makes sense from a server point of view.

2 Likes

I will chime in and emphasise what BHydden said: please keep live game tabs open.

It causes unnecessary confusion if you navigate away and come back in a live game, because your presence indicated (green dot) turns off, making your opponent wonder what is going on.

The disconnection timer is there because you are expected to stay connected to the game.

2 Likes

Wasn’t aware of the green tab - will look out for it. I thought I had the tab open, was just chatting to someone who’d reverted on a correspondence game in a second tab. That said maybe I’d used same tab and was waiting for notification white had played a response.

3 Likes

Yes - it is a natural kind of use-pattern in a browser. It’s easy to forget that there is another person on the other side. You would not walk away from a game board without in some way acknowledging your opponent, but all you have in OGS is a teeny green dot telling you they are there.

2 Likes

I also experienced this kind of situations too. I guess we should always keep the tab open.

2 Likes

I saw today that one of my opponents loose a game we were playing by deconnexion too, but it was a correspondence game, how is this possible?

This is an ongoing issue today, please see Re: Correspondence games lost by disconnection

3 Likes

Oups! I see. Big issue indeed. Thanks

3 Likes