Why Chinese call AIs "dog"?

They do do that, right? And even on foxy bot accounts indicated by a dog symbol.
Why is that?

5 Likes

Perhaps theyā€™re homophones in Standard Chinese?

3 Likes

So arenā€™t cats dominating everything? :crazy_face:

1 Like

More importantly, why do US Americans call humans ā€œdogā€?

6 Likes

Itā€™s pronounced dawg.

5 Likes

dog is ā€œgouā€ in chinese
Alpha Go, the word Go sounds like ā€œgouā€
hence AIā€™s eventually are well known as dogs

22 Likes

English is funny and has no self identity. It borrows from any source possible, often with no logical reason behind the usage. The amount of slang that eventually makes itā€™s way into bonafied English dictionaries is staggering. James Nicoll once stated:

ā€œWe donā€™t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down
           alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle through their pockets for new vocabulary.ā€

I find that statement to be hilariously accurate :laughing:.

10 Likes

Wasnā€™t it Ke Jie tweeted something like ā€œIā€™m gonna fight this dogā€. Did he made it famous?

1 Like

no, it became common just because of the name of the bot ā€œAlpha Goā€
english names/words are often translated thru pronunciationsā€¦and the word Go just sounds so much like dog, it became popular when the word Alpha Go spread aroundļ¼ŒAlpha Go just simply translates to Alpha Dog, and once this got popular all other bots that came up afterwards are just called dogs

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny that the Chinese pronunciation is based on the English pronunciation of the word Go, which is borrowed from the Japanese, who probably based their pronunciation on a variant of the Chinese term.

Itā€™s like the Google translate game where you feed a sentence through a few languages to get utter gibberish in return, except this one took a few ages

8 Likes

Senseiā€™s library seems to confirm this last part: Etymology of Go at Sensei's Library

@dangomango, Senseiā€™s library lists ꉭē¾Šå¤“ (literally, ā€œtwisting sheepā€™s headā€) as one of the Chinese phrases for ladder. Would you happen to know how that came about?

Yes, itā€™s based on the ę£‹ character, which is used for general strategic board games (in particular chess-like games) in Japanese. The 音čŖ­ćæ (lit. reading by sound), which is the Chinese pronunciation of ę£‹, is 恍 (ki), which is a lot closer to the Chinese pronunciation of the character (qĆ­), whereas the čؓčŖ­ (lit. reading by explanation), which is the Japanese pronunciation, is 恔 (go). The character ē¢ is derived from ę£‹, yet only has a ā€œChineseā€ 音čŖ­ćæ pronunciation, which coincides with the čؓčŖ­ćæ for ę£‹. Itā€™s quite weird.

4 Likes

never heard of ꉭē¾Šå¤“
i usually only watch 9d games on fox, which is where all the actions are happening
they rarely discuss the games with go terms, instead they just show diagrams/examples of what players might do next in chat

itā€™s like tesuji = ꉋē­‹, which literally means tendon part of the hand/arm, some/most go terms in chinese does not make much sense
some are borrowed from japanese directly
moyo = ęØ”ę · = appearance

2 Likes

Wow, so even the Chinese are using Japanese loanwords to discuss go

1 Like

As a Chinese speaker I concur. Some words are ported directly from Japanese. But it seems the terminologies are less frequently used than in Japan or in the west.

Responding to the original post though, I find it very strange to use an animal species name (aside from other negative connotations the word dog brings in Chinese) to refer to the game. Itā€™s likely a lazy pronunciation hack above anything else.

These days the trendy words tend to be some colloquial abbreviation of formal phrases. As an example, the occupation programmer ē؋åŗå‘˜ is more commonly known as ē å†œ. Which roughly translates to coding peasants. While itā€™s mainly just a gig, I find the term much more derogatory than their proper counterparts.

4 Likes

noļ¼Œin fact Chinese go item is more effective and interesting than Japaneseļ¼Œ it is translated like airā€”ā€”liberty jump fly kick(okay as a Chinese i also donā€™t know their English or Japanese item Ā¬_Ā¬ļ½€ļ¼‰

if these items you point are about go, I think you have some mistake about Chinese go item.In fact Chinese have the whole item system almost absolutely independ on others.

Sorry I didnā€™t get you. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by ā€œwhole system absolutely depend on othersā€?

:crazy_face:
sorryļ¼Œit is independ and i just want to edit itĀ¬_Ā¬ļ½€

Well, of course, I donā€™t mean to suggest that Chinese people are not using Chinese terminology at all to discuss go. I would imagine that go discussion in China predominantly uses Chinese words that have been in use for many centuries, perhaps often even predating the introduction of the game to Japan.

Hence, I found it quite interesting that @dangomango and @dittlieo say that some terms are actually borrowed from the Japanese language.