Why Chinese call AIs "dog"?

扭羊头, twisting sheep’s head, comes from the concept of grabbing a sheep’s horns, and it tries to twist its head, but since you have it by its horns, you can control it (so, the opponent can twist left and right, but you’ve got them by the horns.)

5 Likes

That’s because the Japanese were the first to systematically study and document Go. As a result, when Go popularity surged in China in 80’s, Go books were largely translated from Japanese ones.

直译音中文谐音咯,蔡徐坤在中国很火,也是得益于谐音梗 :grin:

2 Likes

I’m guessing they use “狗 gǒu / dog” only to refer to bots, not to the game itself. The English pronunciation of “go” sounds a lot closer to “狗 gǒu” than the Japanese pronunciation of “go”, and of course " 围棋 wéiqí" doesn’t sound like “狗 gǒu”, so I don’t think they use “狗 gǒu” to refer to the game of go itself. I think this usage of “狗 gǒu” only arose because “AlphaGo” was pronounced the English way and because it is somewhat fitting to call a bot a pet.

In English we also have the expression “coding monkey”, and it is indeed derogatory, as it puts a lot of emphasis on the aspect of the job that consists in “just writing code”, in a dumb way, merely translating someone else’s work into code, as opposed to developing software in a more general way than just the “writing code” aspect.

We also have much more fancy names, such as “software developer” or even “engineer”, to put emphasis on the fact that there might be more to the job than just spewing out code.

2 Likes

Animal usage does not have negative meanings. For example, chinese has zodiac of 12 animals.

It can be negative, but depends on the content. In this case, it is just a natural direct translation by sound, one of two ways of translating English to chinese.

1. Direct translation by sound(should be a better term than this): generally most of the name translation. This many times applies to things china did not have at the time of introduction.

2. Translation by meaning: mostly match the English word to a chinese one.

Ideally, something combining both above is better, but is very hard.

The most famous translation is Coco Cola. The chinese sound would be almost the same and means tasty and funny.

Why Chinese call AIs dogs?
Definitely a question/riddle that i would have expected in the Go Jokes thread.

Answer

Well, if the dog loses, they will howl ai, ai.

2 Likes

Bona fide :wink:

EDIT: Lol, didnt realize this topic was ancient.

1 Like

Go is a term of Japanese and English, not of Chinese. In China, they call Go Wei↗ Chi↗. And Go is pronounced by Chinese as how they call Dog.

Many Go AIs and GUIs named with “Go” suffix, such as GNUGo, AlphaGo, MultiGo. So Chinese Go players call them “Anger Dog, A Law Dog, Cat Kick Dog”.

By the way, AI and Love are the same in Chinese.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen this method of displaying accents before. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hahaha :smiley:

The cat domination is just chess. :joy_cat:

Do you know Sensei Library? It’s a wiki site for Go.

Chinese: 围棋 (Wéiqí or wei2qi2)
Chinese trad.: 圍碁 (Wéiqí or wei2qi2)
English (Alternative): Goe
Japanese: 碁 (go), 囲碁 (igo)
Korean: 바둑 (Baduk)

I’ve never heard of it. It sounds very blind. :scream:

I mean I have seen à or a4 but never an arrow signal.

a↘ is easier than à :smirk:

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Pinyin is a common agreement to romanize chinese characters and their accentuation. In this system , we use qi, not chi.
Your little arrows are not that bad to use, but did you find one for the down and up accent (the third)?

2 Likes

From Wikipedia: Wikipedia: Arrow (symbol) #Unicode

→ U2192 Rightwards Arrow
:arrow_upper_right: U2197 North East Arrow
:arrow_lower_right: U2198 South East Arrow
⤻ U293b Bottom Arc Anticlockwise Arrow

There is also ↶ U21b6 Anticlockwise Top Semicircle Arrow, and ↷ U21b7 Clockwise Top Semicircle Arrow, but there is no anticlockwise bottom semicircle arrow, which would be best.

(An apparently the forums automatically replace North East Arrow and South East Arrow by emojis.)

1 Like

you can find a character from unicode sheet, but the easy one should be like: \:arrow_upper_right:

At first reading, I laughed but after meditating about these kinds of words, I will say they don’t have to use these kinds of words for humans as we are the best creature of God. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: