Why do high level players seem to play blitz way more than other players?

I like relax games, i mean i really don’t enjoy when time become a too important part of the game. For example i start watching a 10d vs 5d game on IGS (4 stones hdp.), quite promising fun in view, starting great but because black is playing a bit slower then white has a very effective strategy (a lot of aggressivity managing to create a early ko) leading to… a timeout of b. That was just boring although well thought by w.

Like a good conversation a good game takes time and likely a bit more than strictly taken is nescessary. Very aggressive play seems to be the standard nowadays.

Same for me. I don’t bother looking at strong amateur player games online cause they are mostly fast.

Time is better spent reviewing a pro game record. :slightly_smiling_face:

It might also just be random. If there are more games in the blitz queue, people will choose blitz games, if there are more games in the live queue, people will choose that. So once a trend is established it is hard to break it. It might just be that there is a different trend at higher levels by happenstance.

It’s not just OGS, so it’s unlikely to be a fluke on multiple servers.

Cultural raison ?
For korean player ( and so korean pro player), playing fast game it’s a given , times is too precious in the country of pali pali

In that case i would say more societal as cultural.

Do you think so :thinking:?
I think this way of doing things could be accounting to " cultural differences"

Is that something existing before in Korea, or something linked to modern society?

Besides i don’t think that time is less precious in other countries. (Well in the ones i know some of them, maybe not everywhere)

2 Likes

More about pali pali culture:
https://www.bigberry.eu/en/big-berry-backstage/korean-pali-pali-culture/

1 Like

It’s more something liked to the harsh history and environment of Korea and inflated by the modern society, but it’s really something special and specific to the country, i think your could say it socio-cultural ?

Time is precious everywhere but the way to manage it it’s truly remarkable here. And for me I feel it more because i come from another culture, i’m always surprise by how fast things change, not just the time of building but make decisions too. And interacting in shop or administration is very efficient. Or doing tourism, or many other things. Peoples just do things “now”.
For what i see; grand pa playing quickly in the park, and heard, than Korean server are mostly blitz games… I can say than baduk is not a exception.

Anyway it’s a thing in Korea but I can’t say for china and japan

1 Like

Yep something like socio cultural…
In China it’s maybe just a little bit more relax from my feeling but i dunno really. Adults say we don’t have time to play, only children accepted because it’s good for their education, you have to worry on your job and money later and be quick in this. There is still that easy money feeling between people who can afford it but that is changing. Anyway seems they are more stressed on money as on time.
It’d worrying me when there is a kind of so large consensus that to be stressed by time is the norm.
Now to talk about western side, it depends of people as poverty is growing and concurence and such things too. So i met here many people stressed like what you describe in Korea.You know, Christmas gift reselling is a booming business here. Not a change from nothing.