Wish: Better Noticeable Undo Requests

From the github discussion:

If someone has trouble noticing that they have undo requests, then they can go looking for this.

Nope.
IF someone has trouble noticing this, how would they even notice that they have this trouble?

For those feel bothered by an undo request, it would a one-time visit to their settings to turn OFF undo requests, and never again will they see them.

And this:

Methinks this is “opinion”, not hard data. Do you, perchance, dislike undo requests? :wink:

For me this is not a “distraction”, just like “gg hf” is not a distraction. For me, granting an undo is a way to show the opponent some courtesy. It still is my decision whether I really do it or not.

Also, how is a question mark more of distraction than the circle mark that shows the last move?

**NOTE:**I write this NOT as someone who requests undos (I don’t), but as someone who has repeatedly missed undo requests.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d like a setting to say “disable undo requests entirely in this game”, so both players are clear that this isn’t a game where either has to worry about whether to accept them or not.

Unfortunately, that’s a back-end change.

I’m rather disappointed to find argument continuing on this point when I already conceeded it :grimacing:

Rather obviously YOU noticed that you have this trouble. :woman_facepalming:

IF I had left the default as “off”, then people like you would ask “hey, even though there is audio and a big blue button, I’m still having trouble noticing undo requests” and we’d say “Ah, we have a good deal for people like you, just turn on this extra aid”. And the rest of us would not have to think about whether we want to have that or not.

HOWEVER I was already persuaded that defaulting it on is the right thing to do, so this argument is moot.

1 Like

Oh :open_mouth: I only skimmed the recent comments, must’ve missed that, I apologize :bowing_man:

Uhm, no, I was told, resp. asked later whether I had intentionally declined the request :wink:

OK, only saw it now, and of course you got my :heart: for that. Again, I’m sorry for jumping the gun (is what you folks call it, right?).

:pray: :bowing_man: :heart:

I just want to say, I got my first undo request after this change, and I love the change!

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just the first one that you noticed

3 Likes

Not first ever

1 Like

There is a chance that it’s just the first one I noticed, but hopefully not as that would defeat the purpose!

2 Likes

please at least change the font color of undo notification request to Yellow.
it doesnt need too much effort I think.

Reasoning?

Think again. As described here, I attempted this and it is a can of worms.

1 Like

I don’t think one has to try to accommodate everyones themes. If someone wants to colour all the stones Black/White so that even the last turn/last placed stone marker doesn’t show half the time, one shouldn’t opt not to do it just because of strange use cases.

That said, I wouldn’t vote for a red question mark on the stones either :slight_smile:

Edit: I guess there’s no colour picker for the last move indicator and things like that?

Are we talking about the stone/question mark, or the accept undo button? I think the latter would be relatively easy (I’m not arguing that it should be changed)

Last move marker, and by extension undo request marker, are always the colour of your opponents stones. The system is not set up to easily separate those two values.

Yes changing the button would be easy but I don’t believe that’s what is being requested, nor what benefit it would be.

TBH it would be quite doable to make the undo request marker _not_be the colour of the opponent’s stones.

I did this when trying to make the question mark red.

The bigger challenge is chosing a colour (or a method of chosing from a set of colours) the looks good on all the stock stones and the stock dark/light themes.

It’s subtly difficult because the stones have highlights on them - if they were just plain black and white it would not be so hard.

I think it’s totally not worth the effort of thinking about it.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that. That’s fairly convenient.

The question mark doesn’t show up in the thumbnails on profile/overview pages, so its still impossible to know that my oppo has requested an undo until i actually open the game.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 18.22.55

6 Likes

Would be nice if the game itself got a different colour as well, like they colour green when it’s your move, and yellow during scoring phase. Perhaps blue for undo requested?

5 Likes

"heart"ed just for the hello kitty board :laughing:

1 Like

Apologies if this was brought up already, but I would love if Undo requests were visible in Zen mode - something nonobtrusive, perhaps - had a couple of games were I just blissfully ignored them out of not knowing my opponent had requested them

2 Likes