Women in go

Why? I have no exact idea on IGS, i even don’t know if they have implemented rengo. Maybe you think that we will be stealing them something? Anyway, we have tools and some interest, so pairgo don’t have to be a privilege of another server.

I personally don’t feel good about pairgo to be honest. Feels like it imposes another unhealthy stereotype, namely that a pair must consists of a woman and a man. :confused:

7 Likes

Well the pair go association is basically the pet project of the owner of pandanet

2 Likes

Ok some interesting objections…

What about a male vs female championship on OGS? I mean with balanced pairing (like a 7d male facing @claire_yang for ex) just to organize something friendly and promote women go without being sexist?

If we have 25% female players here, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find enough competitors.

Women do seem to like Pairgo. Many female tournament players in the Netherlands have participated multiple times in our national preliminaries.

6 Likes

Maybe it was not the fault of the country. The prize was offered by a sponsor which is a Japanese cosmetic company. I don’t know if the French organizers contacted them, or if that sponsor was proposed by their Japanese contacts and was difficult to refuse.

Back to promoting go among women: pairgo is one such tool. Another idea that I found nice was the WWTC. The idea is that two countries form a team each, but try to pair players of roughly equal strength, for instance 5d vs 5d, 1d vs 2d, 4k vs 5k, etc.

6 Likes

What about genderengo? :innocent:

I think that would turn into a “Men vs. Women” thing, regardless of what the organizers want. If men and women play eachother incidentally, no problem, but I think an event like this would just encourage an “us vs. them” mentality, which I think is quite harmful in this area.

6 Likes

So maybe i am too optimistic.
Myself i think it’s a fear i understand but that at reverse it would be instead not dramatic but promotional, giving a fair place to both of the world.
I have in mind some soccer matches like teachers vs students, prisoners vs guards… which turned to be nice social events.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me; I’m not a huge fan of those type of things, either. It would be fine if everyone was good sports about it, but especially with the teachers vs. students thing, I doubt that was the case. Then again, I have a Go player’s sense of sportsmanship, so any soccer game tends to seem unsportsmanlike to me.

1 Like

In a way, I’m afraid there’s always a fundamental weakness in any event that singles out women as “women” even if it is done with good intentions.

9 Likes

Somehow I find relationship advice is waaay off topic in this thread.
My two cents.

6 Likes

Let’s imagine we stand on better ground for relationships between gender. What could we do then to promote go for female players?

To promote Go for any gender:

• promote Go amongst people, any kind of people
  • create and maintain a gender friendly environment for playing go
  • avoid carefully any weird argument such as quotas or similar

We can’t just simply delete sexism in society but we can put our efforts in keeping our environment as less sexist as possible.

11 Likes

I am wondering: the media have been talking a lot about Sumire, did it encourage more little girls to play go?

3 Likes

That was all in the first sentence. I’m asking myself beyond this.

My pa was a professor at uni, and there were a match organized every year. After the encounter everyone met at night to share a lamb cooked on a fire, really great memories.

2 Likes

Not really on-topic, but is the Greek Go Association (from Go Places in Europe at Sensei's Library) not what you want?

1 Like

Might a search engine which does not try to decide so much for you, such as DuckDuckGo, help?

2 Likes

It exists only as a facebook page. There is no formal/legal Go Club or Association in Greece, which is why we cannot participate in the World Amateur Championship and in EGF we are classified as “Observer Members” … in layman’s terms they are doing us a favor, since in legal terms we do not exist.

1 Like