WSC 2023 | Mar 1st - Mar 31st

Switch ranks off! It’s a game changer!

4 Likes

I did see the rules, thank you.
I think @Clossius1 should consider a clarification, because absolute time 1 minute is not the same as absolute 1 hour or 14 days.

1 Like

I didn’t hear about a specific for correspondance games anywhere. But ok let see clossius answer.

1 Like

I’m not positive, but I’m using the OGS API to count the games and check the time settings. I’ve been vague because I worry some will try to abuse the flaws with the checks in order to maximize their games.

In simple terms, I am simply filtering your rated games by a time provided by OGS. Perhaps @anoek can explain better, but live games are 10s+ per move. I’m not sure how that translates to absolute time so I would avoid it and just give yourself overtime. If you would like more control over the length of the match, I recommend using fischer time.

1 Like

I’m talking about longer live games. For example, if I want to make sure my game will fit in a bus trip, I use absolute time of about 2 hours total.

And 28 days total for correspondence would fit nicely within March, especially as a tournament.

But if it’s going to make things complicated, it’s not a big issue, we have many other options :-).

2 Likes

I’d still like clarity on what’s valid timing for correspondence games. Does it have to be 1 day+ (byoyomi or fischer increments) to count as correspondence for WSC? I guess games with like 8 hours+ would still count, just under the “live” category then?

For my API call, the minimum time per move is 3600 seconds.

1 Like

Thank you!

Prizes are updated!

This year the prizes will be OGS supporter status for many people.

Category Prizes:
1st - 3 Months Meijin
2nd - 3 Months Tenuki
3rd - 1 Month Tenuki

For Everyone (Total Games):
10 Games - 1 Month Tenuki
50 Games - 1 Month Hane
100 Games - 1 Month Aji + Achievement Badge

Streamer Award:
$100

I will also be sponsoring my own prize for streamers. I will be offering $100 to the streamer who streams the most hours of the WSC 2023 challenge.

I will be using online stats tracker to check how many hours you streamed Go. My hope is that this will inspire some streamers to stream more and maybe help some new streamers have the inititive to start streaming.

Please enable your donation button on your Twitch channel page. Maybe others will want to support streamers as well! (Fill out the form on the website to be eligable.)

7 Likes

I have no idea what that means.

I think long games with absolute time should count if it’s just a simple number like that, it’s too big an exclusion to leave all absolute time out (we’re talking hours and days here, not seconds) just because blitz might be an issue.

I’m not trying to nitpick against the spirit of the challenge etcetcetc, but it does seem like a harsh rule.

1 Like

Me either. There’s a one-hour cutoff for something? I’d be interested in trying some +8h or +4h increment games but can’t tell if they would count for anything.

2 Likes

Since 4h is more than 3600 seconds I assume that +4h increment is OK.

2 Likes

@Clossius1 The sign up page requires a password.

It is unclear to me whether this is the OGS password. I used a different one and it signed me up anyway.

Really looking forward to this!
Just somewhat confused as to how the games are done. Do I just send out random ranked challenges as usual and it will be counted or must I challenge signed up players from the pool?
Can someone clarify please :sweat_smile:

On my website it is it’s own account, but I require your ogs name so I can track progress.

You can play anyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the true spirit of the challenge, it’s probably best if we play each other as little as possible, since that maximises the benefit to non-participants :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, the banner is too annoying, I’ve joined…

7 Likes

So we start?

Maybe a graph with last years progress and this year’s daily scores plotted into it might work as a good stimulant.

5 Likes