WT:social, A Social Network Focused on Facts + Collaboration

Good day,

WT:social is a new social network, created by Jimmy Wales (of Wikipedia fame), focused on news and collaboration.

I’ve created a group there, “Baduk (Go, Weiqi), The Strategic Board Game”, please click the link below if you want to join.
NOTE: It’s all still rudimentary there, and I don’t know whether you’ll immediately be able to join (i.e. bypass the long waiting list).

—> https://wt.social/gi/thomas-rohde/baduk-go-weiqi-the-strategic-board-game/82am

I’ve already added a few Go-related posts, which, as I understand, are editable by everybody—or perhaps only by members of the group? I’m not sure, as I’m also new to it. But I thought it’s good to be there early and create some topic-specific content.

From the front page (only visible when not logged in):

Welcome to WT:Social

As social networks have grown, they’ve also amplified the voices of bad actors across the globe. Fake news has influenced global events, and algorithms care only about “engagement”, and keeping people addicted to platforms without substance.

WikiTribune wants to be different.

We will never sell your data. Our platform survives on the generosity of individual donors to ensure privacy is protected and your social space is ad-free.

We will empower you to make your own choices about what content you are served, and to directly edit misleading headlines, or flag problem posts.

We will foster an environment where bad actors are removed because it is right, not because it suddenly affects our bottom-line.

But this will only work with your help. So join today and help change the landscape of social media.

<edit>
BTW, the Sub-Wiki for Baduk is here: https://wt.social/wt/baduk-go-weiqi-the-strategic-board-game

</edit>

1 Like

“You are number 12377 on the waiting list”

… ok. I’ll check back in a year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL, that’s why I posted the invitation link—yesterday I was 6-thousand-something :wink:
I suggest you check in again infrequently, I think you should be in soon.

2 Likes

With the invitation link I was accepted in straight away

Edit: seems I spoke too soon!
You are number 12321 on the waiting list

It sure took its sweet time actually telling me this…

2 Likes

Simply check back frequently, I have meanwhile 17 Go contacts there, they must have used the same invitation link (posted this on FB as well as on L19 also), and at least one of my friends hadn’t realized that he was “in” already.

1 Like

My name name is already on the list even though I’m not allowed to access any features on the site yet.

Can you visit your profile? And if yes, what if you click “talk” on the left side?

I get the option there to “Post a link” or “Write something”:

And just yesterday I was number 6,700something, then I gave out a few invitation links (friends, family), and today I was in.

1 Like

I got “Once your account is active you will be able to post”

1 Like

Ah, OK. Check in again tomorrow :wink: Also, maybe send out some of your already available “family”, “friends” and “work colleagues” links, that should help. Except of course if you want to donate, that should get you in immediately :wink: But I for one didn’t do that (yet).

1 Like

I have read your entire first post, but am not sure what your social group is about yet. Can you elaborate? What is it’s purpose? If I join, what am I doing there/expecting to find?

2 Likes

If you want to get in suddenly, you have to invite someone else in, just like trohde did.

Their immediate goal seems to be to grow big quickly. So, send some invitations and hope someone follows you.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that anyone who’s clicked the first link should then post here with their link? If we form an orderly queue and work together we can all get in but if we all pile on trohde’s link we’ll be stuck outside in the cold!

4 Likes

I call shotgun :smiley: https://wt.social/gi/michael-hyde/friends/6l9o

2 Likes

IT WORKED! I’M IN!!!

Who’s next in line??? share your invite code here!!

I guess maybe @Animiral if he’s around??

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’ll gladly leave the next slot to someone who has the time to contribute to a new social network. I’d just lurk around silently anyway :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey, people. I wanted to ask why are you excited about this? I guess it’s good to have representation on a new social network but we don’t know if it’s going to work out or not. When it comes to go content it’s not nice to have many news feeds because you have to check many sites basically every day to stay informed.

2 Likes

Well, I for one am (still) dissatisfied by FB, though I (still) use it.
My biggest “problem” with FB is that it is about “feelings”, it incites “feelings”, it fuels “feelings”, it is built on that.

The purpose of this new social network, as I understand it, is to focus on facts and news, while allowing all kinds of special interest topics, which is why I thought it would be nice to have Baduk Sub-Wiki there early on, so that, IF it takes off, there’s already something for people looking for this topic. (I have another special interest that people who know me closer will also know about, and I created a Sub-Wiki for that also.)

Please note that if you accept one of these invitation links, you will automatic be a “friend” of the person who posted that and will be in the “group” that this link was created for, e.g. if you click my above link, you’ll be connected with me and be in the “Baduk [etc.]” group.

From the “About Us” page on WT:social:

Wikitribune Social is an inventive social network. We launched WikiTribune as a unique Wiki-based news platform. Our community did an amazing job collaborating around news, sharing facts and promoting a new collaborative approach to generating high-quality journalism. Now we’re taking it a step further. WikiTribune becomes a social network for people like you who still have faith in the truth. We are here to create better connections and develop productive discussions around everything that is happening in the world and is important to us. As social networks have grown, they’ve also amplified the voices of bad actors across the globe. WikiTribune wants to be different. We will never sell your data. Our platform survives on the generosity of individual donors to ensure privacy is protected and your social space is ad-free. WikiTribune can only be successful if our community will continue to grow. Sign up, support us, invite your friends, spread the word. We want you to take part in our revolution.

And from the “Welcome” mail I received:

If you send an invitation and just one friend accepts, you will get instant access to the site.

Well, “excited” is not exactly true for me. It’s just that I am (sort of) a communicator, I like to be informed, and I like to pass on information.
And then … there are different kinds of social networks, and some I like more, some I like less. FB, for example, see my comments above about that. Google+ was nice while it existed, it was also more centered around facts than around emotions. There was ello, and there is the fediverse with its multiple bases.

I guess it’s good to have representation on a new social network but we don’t know if it’s going to work out or not.

Right, we don’t know, but IF it’s going to be good, I want to be there early and add to its content.

When it comes to go content it’s not nice to have many news feeds because you have to check many sites basically every day to stay informed.

Well, nobody is forced to follow everything (or ANYthing, for that, or anybody) … but if WT:social has any chance to become better that toxic Facebook, I simply want to be there.

No, but if you post your “Friends”/“Family”/“Colleagues” invitation links, and just one person accepts, you’re in immediately.

If we form an orderly queue and work together we can all get in but if we all pile on trohde’s link we’ll be stuck outside in the cold!

LOL, it’s not really cold out there, is it? :smiley: It’ll be just some time of waiting.

Hope this helps (somewhat).

3 Likes

BTW, the Sub-Wiki for Baduk is here: https://wt.social/wt/baduk-go-weiqi-the-strategic-board-game

2 Likes

Do you think this bit a reference to the creator’s achievements with Wikipedia?

R.I.P… you will be missed Google+. I loved you, wholly and completely. I was a part of some truly amazing communities there. I was crushed when they closed down :sob:

All you can do is try, right? Besides, it doesn’t seem like an identity for this group is firmly established yet. There is still room for it to not “be just another new site that I have to visit”. I’m hopeful, though a tad skeptical; as nature intended :face_with_monocle:

It’s because your on the inside. I can’t feel my legs trohde :scream::cold_face:

Can I get an invite link? I’d be happy to move somebody forward :wink:

3 Likes

Invite link is in the OP :wink:

But to save y’all from scrolling up, here it is again:
https://wt.social/gi/thomas-rohde/baduk-go-weiqi-the-strategic-board-game/82am

NOTE: You will first be on the waiting list. On the entry page, you will see three invite links for re-sharing (family, friends, colleagues) … distribute these, and if only one person joins through one of your links, you’ll be in immediately.

Note 2: Don’t be annoyed when you‘re in and find that we’re “friends” there, that’s how it works (b/c you clicked my invite link). You may at any time unfriend or unfollow by going to my page and clicking the appropriate button :wink:

3 Likes