You know you are a Go addict when …

I had the Tetris effect from “Combat Mission”, a WWII strategy game. I used to see the landscape rendered the way that game did, with hull-down positions for tanks etc. I stopped playing that game :open_mouth: :smiley:

6 Likes

I had it after playing Assassin’s Creed, suddenly every building looked like a climbing wall…

I’ve also had it with Tetris, since it was the only distraction I had during a 2 week hospital visit. Wish I had discovered go at that time…

6 Likes

Nothing to do with Go, but once or twice I felt the impulse to ctrl+F something I had misplaced in my house and a piece of info I knew but couldn’t remember on the spot.

From 1 to dystopian sci-fi where I’m an extra, how much should I worry?

10 Likes

Just a quick note on the whole phenomenon of “I’m seeing this game in my sleep” - even though the dreams themselves may be disturbing, or lead to restless nights, the fact that you’re dreaming about this stuff is a GOOD SIGN.

Why? The answer has to do with the role that dreams play in turning our day-to-day experiences from distinct chunks of short-term-memory to elements of global strategy that the thalamus can use to communicate with the frontal lobes, and become strategic shortcuts for life going forward.

Some of this has to do with housekeeping. If we’ve had a lot of similar experiences cluttering up our short term memory, dreaming is our brain’s way of clearing that cache. These types of dreams tend to be really boring - where we’re doing the same thing over and over. But at least once the brain has gone through the process, your short term memory will return to a more robust state, and you will have more metaphorical RAM available to absorb new tasks.

The other reason for dreaming about those things is to distill 100 memories of somewhat-similar-but-slightly-different experiences into a single nugget of strategic response, and add that to your current arsenal of problem solving strategies.

So yeah, it might not always make for a pleasant night’s sleep, but believe me - good stuff is going on in there, and you’ll be thankful for it going forward.

16 Likes

I’ve had the instinct to want to Ctrl+F when looking at physical textbooks before.

8 Likes

~30 years ago a friend of mine accidentally dropped and broke her coffee mug and exclaimed “apple z, apple z!” (meanwhile Apple has removed the apple with “cmd”, sadly).

13 Likes

What about ctrl+Z for undo? :grinning:
I don’t use it that much but I have friends working in the comics/illustrations industry: they work
a lot on PC and they are very addicted to this shortcut.

5 Likes

This applies to my life. :yum::yum::yum:

5 Likes

As OGS players, we’re trained to “request an undo” when we misclick our way through real life.

13 Likes

… when you don’t quite know how to begin a project, and you go look for a joseki dictionary

12 Likes

This reminded me of some old times, OT I know, but this may have been on of the moments just before I stopped playing CM …

“Stupid game anyway” :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes

My kids do this to me all the time: “Dad… can I have my last chance? I’ll be good this time, I swear.” :smirk:

10 Likes

Actually, OGS is quite a good model for real life: if you mess up, and request an undo, and your opponent declines and you complain like a baby, you will be told (politely) to suck it up :wink:

11 Likes

When you’d like to have a Gin Tonic, but you don’t, because your desire to play Go is way stronger.

11 Likes

That’s some self control. I just end up playing drunken Go and making a mess :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

… You spend Sunday night trawling for old ogs forum threads that are worth a bump. (Or am I being unfair to @bugcat? :wink:)

3 Likes

Back when I played corr games, when I lay down to go to sleep at night my brain would still be churning through reading positions in my close games / big fights… there is no escape :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I’ve been caught :o

14 Likes

Is this a cinnamon roll?

2 Likes

n-n-n-n-no >__>

4 Likes