You know you are a Go addict when …

I will add something I have never said here.

You know you are a Go addict

• when others start thinking that what you do is not humanly possible.
  • when your profile takes so long to load that it deserves a post in go memes (and thanks @benjito, btw!)
  • when you spend practically all your free time on OGS
  • when you realise that all your friends are go players
  • when after 137 19x19 games in 12 hours you think “I want to play more” (and then the next day you’re exhausted!)
  • if you have earned more than 3000 trophies in 5 years
  • when you think “I could have done more” after doing things that were probably already too much
  • when you realise that almost nothing else really interests you
  • when it bothers you a little that others use it inappropriately (I am not sure about this!)
  • when you can’t imagine your life without this game

and when, in spite of all these things, you don’t know if you really are.

18 Likes

You know you are a Go addict when… Sofiam’s zest for Go seems normal to you :heart:

10 Likes

From Brit Go Journal 2009 …

Answers

2 Likes
My answers

a) Daniel Berry. Nice pun.

b) Mao Zedong. However, it’s been argued that he in fact relied on weiqi strategy to win the Chinese Civil War.

c) Albert Einstein, by virtue of being the only name I have left

d) Presumably Nolan Bushnell, the companies being Atari and Tengen. I’d always thought that they were Japanese companies.

e) Marco Polo

f) Sansa

g) Alan Turing. I’ve been to Bletchley Park.

h) Edward Lasker

i) Emmanuel Lasker. I didn’t know if this quote came from him or Edward, but only Edward was a Go author.

j) Confucius. This saying, if you can believe it, apparently used to be displayed on a wall hanging in the Nihon Ki-in headquarters.

k) John Nash. It’s hard to hold a straight face when you see the game used in the film, in which Nash runs with a giant dango and gets captured.

l) Qin Shi Huang

…there is only one OGS feature you’re afraid to try:

:laughing:

10 Likes

Honorable mention because I found this :woman_cook:t2::pinched_fingers:t2: :kissing_heart:

I hope OP doesn’t mind.

5 Likes

you try to play all go types on ogs ( live , blitz , corr ) where the rank is shown of on your profile. so all your ranks are shown.

3 Likes

On the same line:
when you realize that things like this happen (because you have too many games) :slight_smile:

(I haven’t tried to rank up seriously in anything except 9x9 blitz)

and also: when every time you have to say “have a good day/have a good night” instead you say “have a good game”

7 Likes

i’m actualy trying to get more games going, raising my games a month. currently it’s somewhere around 15 to 16 average i think. i’m having lots of fun doing blitz games as i usualy have a lack of time to play regular live games ( corr ones are nice too ).

ykyaaga when soliloquizing that a texture resolution of “4 kyu” should be enough.

10 Likes

Ykyaga when you scroll this in your YT feed and your brain automatically responds “when both players pass”.

12 Likes

Ykyaga when you call whatever game’s pieces “stones”.

11 Likes

Ykyagaw… your roof is leaking and your first thought is that is should be a Go metafor.

5 Likes

ykyaagaw you are wondering why non-go players were excited for “ddk” and they were talking about a performer…

4 Likes

When you are reading Chinese folklore and can’t stop thinking of go—because of all the dragons.

2 Likes

My first thought would be “not on my goban!”
Urgent moves first, then big ones! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I didn’t know where to put it, this is probably the right place
immagine

You know you are a go addict when your brain thinks “that stone should be approached” and your finger clicks it before realising that it was not a hoshi ( Tournament Game: Bots vs Humans 202205131700 (89219) R:1 (🐬Sofiam🐬 vs 彥andrew) )

(I don’t remember this ever happening before)

6 Likes
OT

You reminded me of an old song from my childhood :rofl: though I guess to you it’s probably still a new song :wink:

https://youtu.be/82XqhHYwB-Q

2 Likes

Which one are you in that tournament? :grin:

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes