You know you are a Go addict when …

Questionable use of a Go Board.

2 Likes

…You can’t tell if you are playing Go because you have insomnia, or having insomnia because you can’t stop playing Go… :sleepy:

10 Likes

When I’m still thinking, now, what board I used for the pic! :melting_face:

1 Like

…When you name your 500 year old wood elf wizard Sai Naito, taking the name straight from the handbook using ‘Sai’ even though it is listed as an elf child’s name. Don’t tell anyone else about it (Naisho desu, it’s a secret) because you will eventually introduce Go to the party later in the adventure when you DM…

3 Likes

New feeling, ykyara (rengo)

When you want to move back in analysis to check your last move and automatically click 3 times instead of 1.

4 Likes

…and when you thought of it, you created an OGS group (Sai’s Teahouse) so you have it when you need it. Sai is too old for alcohol, so he drinks a lot of tea, also any chance for an ATLA tie-in. I should have called it Sai’s Jasmine Dragon. Oh well.

2 Likes

…when you understand the strategy necessary to complete your PhD thesis in terms of a Go game:

Thesis Scenario Go Equivalent Action
Thesis is too long You have been too greedy in the expansion of your moyo Sacrifice unimportant stones (remove unimportant sections)
Some sections are missing You have a big gap in your moyo that is easily invaded Fill the gap
Supervisor has raised some minor comments You have some defects in your shape Consider fixing them when the time is right, but deal with urgent matters first
A point you want to write is unnecessary, but you want to say it anyway in case you get asked about it in the viva A move inside your own territory is unnecessary, but you want to play it anyway in case your opponent invades Don’t do it! Trust that you will have the correct response ready if and when required
I have an extension to my thesis submission deadline, but I won’t get another one Currently in final byo-yomi period (i.e. sudden death) Play fast to avoid time-out!

And with that, I get back to work, as the clock is ticking! Tick, tock, tick, tock! :grimacing:

15 Likes

Just assuming, as by your post, but nevertheless: Good Luck w/ your thesis!

And remember: Big Dragons never die! :wink:

1 Like

You know you’re a Go addict when, after one year, things have not changed.

8 Likes

When you takes the time to write this!

2 Likes

…one of your workmates wants to accept a contract that is risky and excludes all other opportunities, and you automatically say “we should play lighter”.

8 Likes

When you see this

Gaj’s script

And wonder what happened with rengo again.

2 Likes

…you’ve posted your games on GoKibitz too much, so after winning one you review it in detail in a private message to a spectator of the game who isn’t even online.

5 Likes

… you make a weekly meal plan based on managing time for WSC games

9 Likes

… when you see this item on the menu:

And you read it as “Shusaku Style Eggs”! :sweat_smile:

Come on! How many of you read it as that too?

10 Likes

First things I saw was “two eyes” :joy:

… which, in my whacky world is even more funny because …
  • being aware of the thread title and reading the image title, I spontaneously thought, in English: “oh, ‘two eyes!’”

• In German (my mother tongue) the word for “egg” is “Ei”, pronounced [eye]
    (but the plural is “Eier”, pron. [eyer])

12 Likes

When you hear that 200,000 people participated, and the first thing you think of is an OGS Rengo game.

15 Likes

I looked out at the half moon last night and saw the Ogs graphic.

12 Likes

So… you live close to the equator?

No, i live in Canada. I looked at the moon a few nights later and white was winning, (-;

3 Likes