You know you are a Go addict when …

Also big numbers are grouped by 4s with natural language (as is done in Chinese), but the commas are in groups of 3 (at least that’s what I’ve seen).

1234억 5678만 9012

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand your post.

What is “natural language”?

Can you give an example of “natural language” that groups the numbers by 4?

1 Like

I presume the difference between the number being written as if it is pronounced, or as an abstract entity. The pronunciation is in groups of 4, but when writing down the string of numbers it is often written in groups of 3.

My family here in Japan confirms that they write it in the following ways:

127, 437, 735
1億2743万7735

The first is as a number, for example as seen in accounting, or statistics, or scientifically etc. The second one you can on price tags, or in some newspapers, or old-fashioned writing.

In fact, it’s often combined as well: 15.6 million can be written as 1,560万 (such as while subtitling a TV show)

2 Likes

3 Likes

When you continue to follow a go thread, even when it goes way off topic

12 Likes

@Vsotvep hit the nail on the head. Perhaps a better word would be “spoken language”?

This was my example. Expanded, it’s “천이백삼십사오천육백칠십발구천십이” which is something like:

one thousand two hundred thirty-four Hundred Million
five thousand six hundred seventy-eight Ten Thousand
nine thousand twelve

As you can see, big number names come in powers of ten-thousand or groups of four decimal digits (만 = 104, 억 = 108, 조 = 1012). These come directly from Chinese (万, 亿, 兆).

PS. Any Chinese speaker able to say what is more common? 万亿 (from @jlt’s Google Translate screenshot) or 兆?

2 Likes

When you are happy because a post of one of your friends into OGS Go Memes exceeded 10 likes…

3 Likes

Ykyaga when auto correct suggestions be like:

11 Likes

When you give more attention to your next go move than to the latest war news.

6 Likes

You know you are a Go addict when you see

And you think “I should reach 2048”

(I shouldn’t!)

11 Likes

Actually the next number in the sequence would be 4096. No one should attempt that!

7 Likes

Uh right
feels stupid

You know you are a Go addict when you can’t even calculate the next number in a simple series!

(but I think the reason is just that I am stupid here :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

https://huggingface.co/spaces/daspartho/is-it-huggable

18 Likes

I thought this was a tsumego.

17 Likes

When a cheating scandal in the chess world doesn’t interest you.

4 Likes

When mobile keyboard gives you ogf usernames as suggestions for the most random typos.

11 Likes

When it makes you happy to see that people who had stopped playing have started playing again.

(welcome back to the void :evil laugh:)

7 Likes

You know you are a Go addict when your reaction to

is “tell me what that limit is and I’ll prove that you’re wrong”.

(Of course @yebellz is right)

5 Likes

Hmm… correspondence looks for around 1 move per day, and and there are 16 hours in a day. Blitz players can easily hit 720 moves per hour (5s per move).

So I’m thinking the limit is somewhere in the ballpark of 10k? @_Sofiam you’re going to have to up your numbers! :yum:

(Of course there is still the question of whether someone can do nothing but Go Simuls for 200 days straight…)

1 Like

This seems slow :stuck_out_tongue: I think I average less than 3s per move, less than 2 if I try to be quick.

With slow settings you don’t have to play one move in every game every day. And the new cycling order helps a lot (I didn’t have it wheh I was at 1500!)

I think 10k is humanly doable.

3 Likes