2021 Rating and rank adjustments

What is this “true rank” you speak of?

4 Likes

Anyone else staying awake? :smiley:
Will we get a “please reload” notice or something?
I can’t wait, I’m so curious!
tenor-165444483

13 Likes

We should have Nyan Cat running over the screen, animated and with sound and all :grin:

(Reference to kaya dot gs that had the Nyan Cat when anyone mentioned any other Go server.
But … They who nyans last, nyans best!

5 Likes

Anyone can provide an mp3 of this for ringtone purposes, I owe them.

3 Likes

I’ll take higher ratings however I can :joy:

6 Likes

I wonder when this really is? I clicked on the link in the OP, it told me it will be 12:00 my time, and various other times around the world. It seems really unlikely anoek was predicting to to finish at noon ACDT …

3 Likes

It says 3.30AM my time, so in about 75 minutes.

3 Likes

and check this comment from 11 hours ago:

2 Likes

75 mins is noon here.

That’s too bizarre. What are the chance of living in a 0:30 timezone and finding that the server change will be noon!? :o

Edit: technically, I guess we can answer this question - if we assume that the predicted time is random when it would occur, on 30 min boundaries, then the chance of being in a timezone where it is noon about 1 in 50, which is a much better chance than I actually would have thought.

OTOH, what are the chances of the developer chosing a 30 min boundary for the expected time?? Why didn’t anoek say “around 2am GMT” instead of “around 1:30am GMT” !?

5 Likes

It’s @anoek. You know that guy.

5 Likes

I’m a bad person, maybe RHOA ends at 1:30GMT?

2 Likes

Are you seriously up at 2:00am waiting for this thing? If so, I better try harder to keep you entertained :smiley:

4 Likes

Nope, just unemployed and with a lavishly decorated suitcase of issues.

But I accept entertainment anyway. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s because there’s a rank adjustment bug that they’re fixing so there’s no 25 k forever problem and no constantly changing rank problem

2 Likes

Ah sorry to hear it. I’m supposed to be working, or I’d do better :smiley:

4 Likes

Does anyone happen to know why it is that this change fixes the permanently-25k thing?

3 Likes

Hey, let’s not make big declarations yet. Let’s wait and see. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Go_Bug: I’m a Dan player!
anoek: Fixing all ranking bugs today at 5:30
Go_Bug: Darn…

3 Likes

I think the idea is that it will only be a problem for what should now be 35k+ players, since all players ranked higher will become ranked 25k or higher.

It’s still a problem, but the people who are affected are fewer.

5 Likes

Hmm - I don’t think we have 35k+ do we? What rank is 0 glicko equal to at the moment?

(I’ve certainy never seen much past 30, or glicko remotely approaching 0!)

1 Like