2021 thoughts (since nobody made one)

“The Suez Canal tide calendar indicates the next few days will be critical to refloat the vessel with high tide expected during the full moon period. If the refloating operation fails during this period, the delays for shipping traffic will likely get even worse since high tide will return only in another two weeks.”

Ugh, Libras. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

7 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

The true heroes

2 Likes

Saw this and thought of this thread…

3 Likes

Ironically, I went to bed last night thinking “nothing has happened since Evergreen, huh” and then thinking “probably things happened, I’m just numb by now”.

(also, I like the article and also the one below it)

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

1 Like

I have just been freaked out by the BBC interrupting all transmissions for an important announcement. I thought a war was starting or something but it was just this:

4 Likes

There goes the longest-lived royal consort in British / English history.

I think he was also the longest-lived royal after the Queen Mother (1900–2002, died 102).

For reference, Queen Elizabeth II is currently 94.

I suppose this is also the first major royal death since that of the Queen Mother, since Diana was famously killed in 1997.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure he was in my Deadpool in about 1994 along with Boris Yeltsin and the Pope…
Funny how old people seem so much older than they are when you’re young!

3 Likes

I guess this will bring along another Meghanfest…

And I think he was related to the royals we kicked out.

Crown (corona) related news…

2 Likes

I think he was related to the royals we kicked out.

Also, it was my impression that the Greek royal family fled the Nazi invasion. You can tell that the modern history of Greece isn’t something on our curriculum :sweat:

Note that both Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are descendants of Queen Victoria, their great-great-grandmother.

1 Like

Oh, I see, the monarchy returned. From Wikipedia:

George II followed the Greek government in exile after the German invasion of Greece in 1941 and returned to the throne in 1946, after a referendum. (…) He died in 1947 and was succeeded by his brother Paul. The new King reigned (…) until his death in 1964, and was succeeded by his son, Constantine II.

On 21 April 1967, the elected government of Greece was overthrown (…) and a military dictatorship was established. (…) On 13 December 1967, the King launched a counter-coup that failed and he, together with his family, fled to Rome and soon after to London.

The dictatorship nominally retained the monarchy but on 1 June 1973, Constantine II was declared “deposed”. (…) On 29 July 1973, the military regime held a referendum whose official result confirmed (…) the abolition of the monarchy. [This was confirmed by a referendum on 8 December 1974.]

1 Like

It’s complicated.

By the way, our ex-king got his vaccine here, because he can and he can’t accept the fact that he was ousted.

It’s not really in ours, either. It’s
Nazis---- (skip over a horrendous civil war) ------ sth sth immigrants ---- junta (but sanitized, let’s not be too accurate) — golden 80s ---- Euro.
Something like that.

5 Likes

I reach 1D on OGS, KGS, and Fox, by July. :grinning:

3 Likes
4 Likes

I have the same internal reaction when there’s blanket coverage of “Survivor” every single week, but I let it pass.

There’s a fair point there.

The BBC, whilst nominally not an organ of the state, played the same tribute programme, at the same time, on at least their two main channels (if not all of them).

I don’t watch television broadcasts so I couldn’t care less, but one can see how frustration would arise.

1 Like

Makes you wonder what will happen when Liz goes…

2 Likes