2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

Just another example of “my enemy’s enemy is not necessarily my friend”.

(Not that I’d need any enemies.)

5 Likes

Just a quick note.

Calling them “IS” or “Islamic State” legitimizes their claims.

You may want to just call them “Islamic State militant group”.

4 Likes

This is very interesting:

1 Like

Sri Lanka is doing something, yay

I don’t know how good this is yet but could provide a useful tool for companies and governments.

1 Like

Truly frightening…

1 Like

Dictator: grumpf
AI: death sentence.

1 Like

you gotta join my Debate Club group

May also call them Daesh. They seem to hate that, which must be a good thing.

6 Likes

Well, reality’s been hard to beat lately :woman_shrugging:t2:

The video itself is a bit of information fast-food. But it baffled me that I indeed heard nothing about this war. Even though it just happened.

1 Like

I’ve seen quite a lot about it in the media, tbh.
Although I must admit I paid relatively little attention. Maybe still more than some other people, though, because I’ve met people who fled neighboring Eritrea before and that made it a bit more interesting to me personally.

1 Like

Before watching, I thought it might be Sudan. Not for the present hostilities, but all the ones before…

I’m not sure how they are counting these things but I feel for those who have to rank them somehow. Should we use area or territory counting for that?

I’m just heartbroken for my region.

4 Likes
2 Likes

In America that’s just a Wednesday.

2 Likes
commenting instead of crying

:sob:
Feels wrong to “like” such posts … but dang … it’s for the sharing, not for the content.

I wonder whether we, as humankind, will ever understand what we’re doing wrong if people are so much “charged” with frustration and hate at such a young age already that they go and kill others. Authoritarian “parenting” is what I’d suspect behind such incidents—it’s our families where we learn our first “conflict solving strategies”, no? Plus, of course, the many wrongs our schooling systems do to young people, what our societies to to people generally … and whole generations handing the violence born from frustration down to the next generation …

Sometimes I try to imagine how our planetary culture might look to observers from outside … just claws and teeth?

Anyway … makes me want to cry.

Just recently there have been two incidents in Germany where kids (IIRC age 14 and 12) have killed other kids :sob: How are these kids going to live “normal” life ever again? What kind of therapy could take away the guilt? I can’t imagine.

And why am I putting this in hide tags? Because it feels so … “negative”.

Maybe we should put all “negative” stuff in hide tags so that the audience can decide whether they really want to read it?

But I for one would always want to know ofc b/c I’m a news junkie, and I don’t believe that filtering out negative news would make anything better.

5 Likes

It wasn’t always so. The question to ask is what has changed?

3 Likes

What hasn’t!

1 Like

What’s changed? Society, technology, politicians, parents, kids, and corporate lobbies, to name a few.
What’s not improved? Gun laws.

The news from Serbia are tragic, but the article is at least clear that this is news-worthy because it is rare and bizarre, due to the strict gun laws.
This was an upscale school which explains why it even had a security guard, but you can bet good money that most other schools do not have anyone guarding the gates because it is just not needed. The danger is just not there.

I just returned from the local high school were I went for my daily exercise. The teachers of the morning shift had left the gates and the inner doors wide open for the afternoon shift. When I arrived there was noone around (the parking was empty) and the school was open.
Then, teachers and students started arriving while I was training in the courtyard.
Noone bothered to close the doors. Noone went “hey, what’s this dude doing down there?” and when I left everything was still wide open.

So, in the “what’s changed” maybe this can be added: “and your definition of freedom”

1 Like

I could say “lots,” but that would be flip. The question I posed assumes the audience is intelligent enough to understand that relevance is the context. Hence, for example, the magnetic pole has changed location quite a bit over the years, but that probably isn’t relevant.